Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello from VA, USA. 96 Pathfinder

I heard of this community from another forum. my current mpg is 15mpg and i just can't afford that. So i'm looking around for some simple mods, and getting of those MPG things to install. (scangauge)

Thanks
FD

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
start with 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

unfortunately, that mileage could be considered normal for your vehicle. even if you made a 20% improvement, which isn't easy, you would still be looking at 18mpg.

im sure there are vehicles out there that could do the same jobs with better mileage, what do you need your vehicle to do that a small car cant do?
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
Cobb (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mainly, not getting snowed in the winter. I live in the sticks, and with just one inch of snow, it get's crazy slick. i'm positive the subwoofers in the back don't help a bit, But i justify that by saying that it adds weight in the back of my car. Nor to the offroad tires help, I justify that by saying it helps with the snow. I'm going to get a set of cheapo rims and change out for summer tires. and switch between the two. i took off my roof rack. I'm just going to have to get a little honda or something, and just use the pathfinder in the winter. I can't justify dropping a mint to hypermile a gas hog anyway, when i could just buy a 1000buck early nineties honda beater and be good
Old 01-21-2014, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
I drive a 1991 Civic (2WD) with Blizzak snow tires and I don't bother shoveling the driveway unless there's more than about 6" of snow. And I never have trouble getting to my destination on snow-covered roads.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 01-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thats pretty good. My road goes straight down a mountain. And the 4wd is nice for pulling my 2wd friends out of ditches. I'll recommend the snow tires to them, i'm tired of getting phone calls. I bet you all get a lot more snow than we do, but these narrow game trail roads really screw us up. I'll try that on the honda beater when i get one. best mileage i ever had was from an 87 honda civic. but i kinda slid off into the ditch with it in the snow when i was 17. not worth fixing. scrapped it out.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
The only issue I have in Ohio is too DEEP of snow. Of course a hill needs careful driving regardless of what one is driving, I couldn't imagine something heavier with a higher center of gravity would be better for it.

We have fairly deep snow here.

The only issue is when the bottom of the car is actually bottoming out on the snow, which then the snow needs to be shoveled or one isn't going anywhere.

I had to shovel it out, the tires were just spinning against the driveway.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
I've noticed this about Pathfinders, they seem to be pretty hard on the gas. But if you're out in the boonies, it's a good choice. The next step beyond that is a Wrangler - preferably an older one with the 4.0.

The other guys have already made the good recommendations so I don't have much useful to add there. I completely agree with your idea of getting an older econobox for your three-seasons driving, if it's just wet out the Pathfinder is like bringing a cannon to a knife fight.

If you want to maintain some inclement weather capability while still having better mileage, look for a Tercel wagon with the 4wd, a BRAT or a Civic Wagon AWD. They have comparable space to your Path (not the BRAT but you get a little pickup box) and all do surprisingly well when the going gets slick. The BRAT in particular will go much further afield than anyone suspects. Add snow tires and heave a set of chains in the back and you would be well prepared for all but the very worst and still get much, much better mileage than the Path.

I just looked on eBay and found a Tercel 4WD in Covington, about two or three hours up the road from you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Terce...US_Cars_Trucks

I have a Subaru Forester which is brilliant in snow but its highway mileage at 25mpg isn't as good as I might hope. Newer ones do better, but I can't afford one.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 01-22-2014 at 09:20 AM..
Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dad's Jetta - '05 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5l package one
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Black Cherry - '01 Honda VFR800fi
Last 3: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkD View Post
I heard of this community from another forum. my current mpg is 15mpg and i just can't afford that. So i'm looking around for some simple mods, and getting of those MPG things to install. (scangauge)

Thanks
FD
FunkD, I used to have a 97 with the 3.3l V6 with the 5sp and 4wd. I regularly got 17.5 mpg in the city and 24+ mpg on the highway.
People that know me will tell you, I did not use hypermiling techniques when I was driving it.
Here are few suggestions
1. Run you tires at the max cold pressures in the summer and higher in the winter (I ran 45 cold all winter long).
2. Do not use a mud and snow type tire, If you must use a snow tire, use a Snow only tire (like a Blizzak's from Michelin). In the spring change back to a general highway type tire.
3. Keep the EGR cleaned out, buy a K&N or BMC air filter and keep it clean as well.
4. Change all the lubricants to synthetic's, picking the multi-weight 75-90 gear for the differentials and transfer case, and a syncromax for the transmission (assuming its a manual).
5. Change your spark plugs and buy the twisted wire core wires (I got mine from MSD).
6. Make sure your rear drum brakes are not set to drag all the time and then be gentle when backing up. For some reason the rear drums like to adjust themselves up tight all the time. Also make sure the prop valve linkage is properly adjusted (mine wasn't).
7. For winter I'd put in a plate to block about 30-35% of the radiator. It won't help with drag, but it will help with keeping the engine temp at the best temperatures.
8. Make sure that you knock the ac compressor off once the defroster gets the windows clean in the mornings.
9. Make sure that you put back that front under tray, its not a good skid plate, but it does help with under vehicle air flow. I extended mine to close off the bottoms of the front fenders.
10. Fill in the back side of the bumper so its not acting like a drag scoop.
I used laminated poster board then sealed it with spray poly varnish, but coroplast or even some aluminum roof flashing would work. Also make a fairing for the hanging spare.
11. I had the factory mudflaps and did not want to deal with rock pits, so I left them on but I did add a bunch more aluminum flashing underneath to fill gaps between the body and the exhaust heat shields as well as gaps to the gas tank and more. It was by no means smooth or flat, but there were almost no square edges in the breeze.
12. Pull the very restricted snorkel out of the bottom of the airbox and use a piece of cold air flex duct to maximize the factory opening from inside the front fender.
13. Use 200mph tape to seal the plastic wheelwell liners to the inner fender surfaces.
14. Make sure the door weather stripping is good shape, if not replace it with the new rubber flap style stuff from the later re-trim of the pathfinder. That won't help the smoothness of the door and hood seams, but it will fill the gaps which will help.
15. Make sure if you have the factory sunroof that it sits flush with the front roofline. Mine did not.
16. Get exhaust manifold's painted with a good ceramic laced high temp header paint. That will keep the heat in the exhausts and keep the catalytic converters working at best efficiency. They will warm up faster which will get the computer off the startup cycle faster.

As for driving techniques, only a couple of suggestions.
1. Accelerate briskly, but know when more throttle pressure won't make a difference.
2. Learn to dip the clutch, I still remember seeing how fast the throttle closed fuel cutoff dropped out.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
A Pathfinder is nice, but maybe a Forester or a Rav4 could also be good options to you. Unless you would eventually consider to swap a Diesel into the Pathfinder
Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dad's Jetta - '05 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5l package one
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Black Cherry - '01 Honda VFR800fi
Last 3: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
A Pathfinder is nice, but maybe a Forester or a Rav4 could also be good options to you. Unless you would eventually consider to swap a Diesel into the Pathfinder
Nissan built diesel Pathfinders (under the Patrol model name) for other markets.
I looked into getting parts from a couple of wrecked Patrols out of Australia, but the cost was insane at the time.
Add in the issues with certifying a Diesel conversion here in NJ at the time and it was more trouble than it was worth.
Now with the State having to accept Diesel, LNG, CNG, Ethanol and even Electric conversions, it might be a viable swap.

Reply  Post New Thread