EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Effects of music on fuel economy? Regardless of genre (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/effects-music-fuel-economy-regardless-genre-37968.html)

iikhod 11-09-2019 04:53 PM

Effects of music on fuel economy? Regardless of genre

Has this been discussed? :)
I think you can do a better job hypermiling, if you listen to music. Music you like, that makes you be in a better mood. At least for myself music i like is better than no music. Or hideous nowadays-radio garbage.
Better mood-better driving.
Thoughts? Maybe personal results?

litesong 11-09-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iikhod (Post 611327)
Music you like, that makes you be in a better mood.
Better mood-better driving.

Lots of drivers have been carried away by music, crashed & then carried away for burial..... along with those they killed. :eek:

But, yeah. Jean Sibelius is great!

iikhod 11-09-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litesong (Post 611344)
Lots of drivers have been carried away by music, crashed & then carried away for burial..... along with those they killed. :eek:

That is true. There are also people who have been carried away with road rage and then had those same results. Maybe they could have used some music? :D

Now, i don't mean blasting your music and raving about in the drivers seat.
Just you know, some tunes you like, not too loud.

RustyLugNut 11-09-2019 08:33 PM

I listen to a local classic station out of Los Angeles.

KUSC.

Every 5 o'clock hour they play the "anti-road- rage-melodies".

Chopin, Bach and modern performers such as Yo Yo Ma.

Soothing. Gets me home.

It's playing over the shop floor right now. Just below the din of the CNC machines.

RustyLugNut 11-09-2019 08:36 PM

Any studies done to substantiate this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by litesong (Post 611344)

But, yeah. Jean Sibelius is great!

I only ask because my father was a scientist and I grew up on vector studies and causation versus correlation.

mpg_numbers_guy 11-09-2019 08:47 PM

I don't listen to music when I'm on short trips (<30 min) and hypermiling, because I get so into the music that I can't hypermile as well. But on longer highway trips or with other people I do listen to music.

RustyLugNut 11-09-2019 09:01 PM

I do agree with this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy (Post 611353)
I don't listen to music when I'm on short trips (<30 min) and hypermiling, because I get so into the music that I can't hypermile as well. But on longer highway trips or with other people I do listen to music.

When I need to concentrate, I do not listen to music or carry on a conversation with my passengers.

I rarely speed, but when I do, I do not need any distractions.

The Top Gear's STIG not withstanding, I'd wager top drivers will agree.

Fat Charlie 11-09-2019 10:21 PM

Music helps.

euromodder 11-10-2019 03:19 PM

Been studied, so yes, music influences the way you drive

Though maybe it's often the other way around
Many people will chose the music depending on their own mood
Thus reshaping how they drive

Vman455 11-15-2019 04:17 PM

I removed the sound system in my car completely in the summer of 2018, and have driven from central Illinois to New Hampshire and back, to Florida and back, and to New York and back (twice) since then. Our modern world is loud enough without reproducing noise in our cars. Yet, most people who find out about my (lack of) stereo wonder how I survive without piping sound in 24/7.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-17-2019 05:01 PM

Recently my mother has been driving in a less aggressive way, but her musical preferences won't change

Tahoe_Hybrid 11-19-2019 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy (Post 611353)

Traffic does not effect the mileage on a hybrid even a large SUV

Week day in heavy traffic
212.00 miles 8.283 gallons 25.60 MPG 4.399 30%
158.00 miles 6.892 gallons 22.92 MPG 4.399 15%
Weekend same route
164.00 miles 6.224 gallons 26.35MPG 4.399 10%
186.00 miles 8.607 gallons 21.61MPG 4.229 30%
159.00 miles 6.184 gallons 25.71MPG 3.999 10%

the BEST ever was 28.7MPG combined at 212 miles

iikhod 11-20-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tahoe_Hybrid (Post 611874)
Traffic does not effect the mileage on a hybrid even a large SUV

Week day in heavy traffic
212.00 miles 8.283 gallons 25.60 MPG 4.399 30%
158.00 miles 6.892 gallons 22.92 MPG 4.399 15%
Weekend same route
164.00 miles 6.224 gallons 26.35MPG 4.399 10%
186.00 miles 8.607 gallons 21.61MPG 4.229 30%
159.00 miles 6.184 gallons 25.71MPG 3.999 10%

the BEST ever was 28.7MPG combined at 212 miles

Nice figures for a suv, but what has this got to do with music listening and hypermiling? :o

teoman 11-20-2019 11:52 AM

I read or watched a study recently.

I said that listening to music that you like elevates your heart-rate. The info concluded that that was not good but I fail to remember why. (Could even be a youtube video on ecomodder)

cowmeat 11-20-2019 12:01 PM

I listen to music all the time I'm in the car unless I'm with my wife.

She doesn't care for my music choices (there's a bunch of Korn, Drowning Pool, Disturbed, Limp Bizkit, GnR, Rage, Tool, etc. . . old 80's & 90's rock on my iPod) and I'm pretty deaf so any background noise makes it hard for me to understand her.

But I'm blasting it while I hypermile the Volt and it really doesn't affect me cause I've usually got the cruise control on anyway.

Plasmajab 12-24-2019 03:43 PM

Yep. I can akin to this.. I drive faster with Five Finger Death Punch going then I do with Hatsune Miku.

Ok.. Dont ask. I got weird tastes in music.

But with no music, I drive faster just to get the trip over with. I like my tunes.

slowmover 12-26-2019 08:38 AM

The length of the drive is the relevant question. Hit six, seven hours (nine, since commencement), and effects can be measured.

There comes a point where restlessness emerges. The need to walk around. In which case, “music”, (dance, imagined) becomes the substitute.

More than a third can’t aren’t mentally equipped for driving in the first place. Time versus distance not a skill set available. So, constant high level of tension. And the prayer all others act properly. (Happy noises & voices).

RedDevil 12-26-2019 12:38 PM

I once found myself doodling in the slow lane on Bob Marley. A bit too relaxing ;)

Nowadays I don't play music at all. My tinnitus gets worse in a loud environment, and the car is already at max tolerable noise at about 60 mph. I drive slow and silent.

freebeard 12-26-2019 04:47 PM

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...-outa-town.jpg

My Notchback didn't need a radio because the dual Weber 40s with K&Ns and shorty manifolds sounded like Gabriel's trumpet. :thumbup: It echoed off buildings on back-throttle (had a traffic cop tell me so).

Radar Love

edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The song has been chosen by many magazines and websites as a Top 10 driving song. Often it ranked in the top three. In polls it was chosen as the best radio song by readers of the newspaper Washington Post in November 2001. It resulted the #1 driving song in Australia (Australian Musician Magazine, November 2005), beating two AC/DC-songs, and in Canada (BBC Canada, March 2006).[7] In 2011 it received a vast number of votes as the "Ultimate Driving Song" in a poll at PlanetRock and "finished well ahead of its nearest rival, Deep Purple's Highway Star".[8].

slowmover 12-27-2019 03:27 AM

You’d enjoy a ride in big-HP pre-emissions Peterbilt. Windows opened and those giant breathers feeding the huge turbocharger (which has its own echoed whine) And the exhaust pipes just a step back.

Very different experience than what a bystander hears. (None of that open pipes crap either). It’s a song with the upshifts getting to speed. Once into the High side of the transmission and working the the last 4-5 gears, it’s timing. A dance.

(If it has to be R&R, the Doors, “L.A. Woman”, was always great for a twitch into the left lane leaving a big city. Momentum, grabbing gears with the right foot down to crack the whip of a long line of big trucks; a dozen or more. To leave far behind. And then settle into a day without other trucks around. Then back to real music instead of happy noise).

The move into the left lane is that you have it. And they don’t. It’s full exploitation of the quality of surprise. One has fallen back fairly far to start the WOT run in the right lane. Most of them passed you (speeding) in the last ten miles (we note who is who). Standing on the governor most of them now that we are free of the lowered metro limit. A truck pass isn’t fast as cars would regard it. But it’s tens of tons being accelerated. Expertise at shifting (exacting). A locomotive quality.

The song cited opens with that tension (Densmore actually getting it). An ominous surprise. The action started a few miles back, though it wasn’t evident except to the observant. That Pete positioning itself with terrain and traffic to have all natural advantages accrue BEFORE lane-change and a minor downshift.

Like snowboarding, the speed builds and builds. The cab rocks side to side, and one is highly aware of every sound and untoward motion. Understand that one has ruled out use of brakes They won’t much matter if something go pear-shaped. It’s that type of risk.

Finally, the children in the governed trucks no longer try to stay ahead in hopes they’re lighter on weight and can keep the Peterbilt from passing with a terrain change. One moment there’d been no one in the left lane for miles. Then out of nowhere a large car coming on like a house a’fire.

Once up past 75-mph, (and heading for 85) a mile-long truck back-up is swiftly disposed. Fuel burn is a short acceleration run versus nearly an hour of passing those same trucks as they spread out (with corresponding lowered Average MPG and Average MPH; MPG sacrificed for MPH average).

The first few might get passed with 3-5/mph of headway. But the final ones it will be 15-20 mph. It’s a long mile-plus pass of truckers too dumb to space themselves.

Lemmy 01-01-2020 06:57 AM

I do find my consumption drops by about 20 mpg if I've been playing Motorhead in the car

CVTCivic 03-13-2020 06:04 PM

Totally affects me in some kind of an unconscious way. If I'm listening to classic music like
Dmitri Schostakowitsch or Antonio Vivaldi, it's way more easy to save some gas than if there is some heavy metal stuff or 140bmp electronic music playing.

RedDevil 03-13-2020 06:58 PM

Why, just feed the subwoofers with an additional battery pack you charge at home :D

teoman 03-14-2020 03:30 AM

One of my teachers at high school told me that they pump up the music in restaurants to speed up peoples eating process. Also as a conversation suppressant for the same reasons.

I did not consider that teacher particularly knowledgeable so just repeating what I heard from a random person.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-15-2020 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoman (Post 618942)
One of my teachers at high school told me that they pump up the music in restaurants to speed up peoples eating process.

Not sure if it works, but seems to make sense from a business standpoint. Get the tables emptied quicker to have more customers in :thumbup:

Fat Charlie 03-15-2020 09:06 AM

It also sells more drinks. If you can't hear or make yourself heard, your drink disappears a lot faster.

RedDevil 03-15-2020 01:13 PM

In my case it would make me turn away at the door. I don't want to make my tinnitus worse.

Since 12 minutes ago it ceased to be a problem though over here. All restaurants and bars are closed for at least 3 weeks

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-18-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 619057)
Since 12 minutes ago it ceased to be a problem though over here. All restaurants and bars are closed for at least 3 weeks

Not even for delivery or takeaway?

RedDevil 03-19-2020 05:23 AM

That's the exception, restaurants do that exclusively now.
There are sites like thuisbezorgd.nl that provide delivery services for restaurants so restaurants don't have to organize it by themselves.
Some sicko started a DDoS attack on thuisbezorgd.nl yesterday evening...

All non-urgent justice court sessions have been suspended also. And we do have the first inmate with a positive test since this morning.

Never mind, there's a COVID-19 thread. I don't want to derail this one.

freebeard 03-20-2020 07:53 PM

I didn't want to derail the COVID-19 thread so I'm putting this here.

Brave Shores, a Canadian band. Their song Never Come Down was used in a video during the Presidential campaign. The 'official music video' sucks, but they did this one that I like for the low-rent vib and lo-fi video FX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOJrzL2pmds