Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic - '00 Honda Civic LX
Civic ViRS Clone eco build

Long time lurker, 1st time posting. I currently commute 100 miles for work driving a 2004 Civic EX Sedan Manual 31 MPG A/C - 39 MPG w/o A/C , Last year I bought a 1998 Civic Ferio ViRS D15Z7 OBD2A from Pakistan (D15B JDM) 3 stage Vtec engine (Automatic- has different intake manifold and sensors), as well AS ordered from another continent a 5 speed ECU for D15Z7 [P2J-003] from New Zealand (1998 OBD2A) I purchased a 1 owner mint condition 1999 Civic LX Sedan (OBD2B) (a identical car to the 2000 that I have been driving for 16 years - plan to move interior and suspension etc from) I Purchased a 1999 LONG GEAR manual transmission from a wrecked Civic DX Hatch.

The Question Is, people have told me that the engine being lean burn, + running a long gear transmission will make the car absolutely a nightmare to drive threw the cities in rush hour traffic, that the car will have no acceleration , this is my biggest fear not including the fact that I haven't found a adapter to run OBD2A engine harness in a car with a OBD2B chassis harness, and the pin-outs have a few wires that do not translate between A & B like Tach signal, and Cruise Input

Thank you for reading, any input would be appreciated

Long time reader,
Thorald

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-07-2018, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
What are your plans for adapting all of the sensors to the MT ECU?

For what it's worth, I believe the 1999 HX transmission is shorter than the transmission that actually want to the D15Z7, which is in turn even shorter than the transmission that went to the CRX HF which had even less power. I expect you'll be fine.

Lean burn does not kick in during city driving, at least not generally. It happens between a certain RPM range and certain load range and you'll only really see it on the highway. The engine will drive like any other long geared D15 in the city. You may not, however, even get lean burn. It's a finicky system and if a single required sensor isn't outputting in the range it wants to see, lean burn will not engage.

You may want to reach out to Rywire or Wireworx about your harness issue, it's probably something they've dealt with before.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post

For what it's worth, I believe the 1999 HX transmission is shorter than the transmission that actually want to the D15Z7, which is in turn even shorter than the transmission that went to the CRX HF which had even less power. I expect you'll be fine.

Lean burn does not kick in during city driving, at least not generally. It happens between a certain RPM range and certain load range and you'll only really see it on the highway. The engine will drive like any other long geared D15 in the city. You may not, however, even get lean burn. It's a finicky system and if a single required sensor isn't outputting in the range it wants to see, lean burn will not engage.

You may want to reach out to Rywire or Wireworx about your harness issue, it's probably something they've dealt with before.
I purchased a 1998 Civic EX intake manifold (for the throttlebody and sensors) and its engine harness, harness wise I should just need to add 3 EGR wires, and a 2nd Vtec engagement wire , I had been hunting down a Civic HX intake manifold (5 Speed), but everyone I talk to has flaked on me, I'm now planning to drill the Automatic Intake manifold to accept the 5 Speed throttlebody and IACV. I had talked to Rywire and Wiring specialties a few months ago and they told me they do not, and would not make a adapter for me for this application
The Following User Says Thank You to thoraldshib For This Useful Post:
Ecky (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Everything Ecky said. Lean Burn will be finiky at freeway cruise bec load and RPM will be different. But it is not relevant to urban driving. The wiring harness difficulty is a bummer. The 3 stage vtec would be hard to pass up, though. Can you fabricate the harness components you need?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post

No it's not. The HX is taller than a ex or lx trans, but the VX and insight transmission is much taller. I believe the HX is a 3.73, the Insight is 3.23 and the VX is a 3.03. The HF is a 2.93 or 2.89 iirc.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
No it's not. The HX is taller than a ex or lx trans, but the VX and insight transmission is much taller. I believe the HX is a 3.73, the Insight is 3.23 and the VX is a 3.03. The HF is a 2.93 or 2.89 iirc.
I think that's what I said? Tallest to shortest, HF > VX > HX? So since it's a shorter transmission than the engine came with, OP should be fine?
Old 07-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

The Cali spec HF was a 2.95 FD. The 49 State HF had 3.25. The VX had 3.25. The HX had 3.722 (and so did the DX Hatch and the Sixth Gen CX). It is all in the manual trans specs I compiled a few years ago, all authoritative sources, all cited: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post378478
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The Cali spec HF was a 2.95 FD. The 49 State HF had 3.25. The VX had 3.25. The HX had 3.722 (and so did the DX Hatch and the Sixth Gen CX). It is all in the manual trans specs I compiled a few years ago, all authoritative sources, all cited:
Thank you, your post was the one I used when choosing my 1999 Civic DX Hatch transmission
Old 07-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraldshib View Post
Thank you, your post was the one I used when choosing my 1999 Civic DX Hatch transmission
Cool.

Reply  Post New Thread