EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Electra Meccanica Solo...The Next Big...you know (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/electra-meccanica-solo-next-big-you-know-34160.html)

botsapper 08-06-2016 11:14 PM

Electra Meccanica Solo...The Next Big...you know

2017 Electrac Meccanica Solo EV, another trike, will be available to the public on September 9, 2016! The Solo EV is priced at $19,888 Canadian, US $15,150. Preorder (Reservation, errrr) with $250, the company already has more than 20,000 REFUNDABLE deposits. The Solo EV is the project of Henry Reisner and Jerry Kroll. Using the old Corbin Sparrow, a 48" wide track, 120" long, it's about a foot longer than a Smart Fortwo. The single seater RWD commuter has 285 liter of storage.
The Solo EV goes 0-100 kph in 8 secs, top speed limited to 130 kph, drive range of 160 km, 8,64 kWh lithium ion, can be recharged in 3 hours at 220v or 6 six with 110v. LCD instrument cluster, keyless entry, power windows, rear view camera, climate control/heating/AC and a TWO YEAR UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY!

Take a look at this, Elio!

Get more details of their story, development archives and many videos & pix-
https://electrameccanica.com/category/blog/

Electrified Sparrow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6gKYLYfe6A

Turbine-engine sound is just so cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruraW0g-ugc

sendler 08-13-2016 06:14 AM

Looks like a good package with a real price. They need to make sure it qualifies for the USA 10% refund.

Stubby79 08-14-2016 06:27 AM

Too expensive for my tastes, but I wholeheartedly agree with the idea. I'd love a single or tandem seat, electric 3-wheeler to get me around. I see no point in pushing enough air around for a vehicle that seats two side-by-side for no apparent gain. But they never made Sparrows legal here (as far as I know). Being a Canadian company, I'll assume they will make them legal here and, preferably, not require a motorcycle license to drive.

26 days...let's see if they honor it!

Grant-53 08-15-2016 01:14 PM

Check the local state DMV to see whether a trike is a motorcycle or not.

Ryland 08-15-2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant-53 (Post 520737)
Check the local state DMV to see whether a trike is a motorcycle or not.

It is in every state that I know of as long as it's under 1,200lb.
Many states also realize that it's enclosed, offering head protection and eye protection.

NeilBlanchard 09-09-2016 12:42 PM

Some news on this vehicle:

Electra Meccanica Solo three-wheeled electric car unveiled

About 120 inches long, 61kW motor, 16.1kWh battery ~100 mile range, 992 pound curb weight, Cd is claimed to be 0.24 - and it has a 10 cu ft frunk.

http://www.hybridcars.com/wp-content...lo-668x409.jpghttp://st.automobilemag.com/uploads/...03-660x440.jpg

botsapper 09-09-2016 01:21 PM

Quirky but handsome. Looks like a conventional coming at you, then it looks like it's missing its rear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQSCudBc9Fk

Safe handling performance and stability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4QItefm6o

Stubby79 09-09-2016 10:05 PM

I want one. I love the idea. I just don't like the price tag. I don't think most other people will either, so I don't predict them being produced for long...maybe they can hold on long enough to mass produce them and drive down the cost per unit?

NeilBlanchard 09-12-2016 01:52 PM

The price is $15,500:

Order up your $15,500 2017 Electra Meccanica Solo electric trike now - Autoblog

botsapper 09-13-2016 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 522563)
The price is $15,500:

Comparables; Can Am Spyder $19,499-20,999, Polaris Slingshot $21,999-23,999, Harley Davidson Trike Freewheeler $26,339-?, HD TriGlide Trike $34,339-?? or T-Rex $57,999-???

Christopher Jordan 09-17-2016 11:36 PM

I read about this trike 2 months ago- now 2 months later; a body and ready to sell. Amazing! As nice as the Arcimoto is, it is still far away from full enclosure. This is slick in my opinion.

JSH 09-18-2016 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botsapper (Post 522583)
Comparables; Can Am Spyder $19,499-20,999, Polaris Slingshot $21,999-23,999, Harley Davidson Trike Freewheeler $26,339-?, HD TriGlide Trike $34,339-?? or T-Rex $57,999-???

I doubt too many people are cross shopping the Electra with a Polaris Slingshot.

Electric cars are a closer comparison and I could have bought my 2016 Chevy Spark EV for $10,500 after the GM rebate and Fed tax credit. Cheaper, quicker, carries more people / stuff, standard HVAC, 3 year warranty, meets crash standards.....

botsapper 09-19-2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 522991)
I doubt too many people are cross shopping the Electra with a Polaris Slingshot.

...comparing trikes.

SoloOwners 09-29-2016 08:12 PM

Hi Neil.
I'm in Pennsylvania in the USA and I have a reservation for a Solo. It's scheduled to be delivered to me before 3Q of '17. I also have the Solo Owners Forum. I've recently retired and will be lurking and posting from time to time on ecomodder since I've got a lot more time on my hands now. Electra Meccanica is in contact with people world wide in an effort to establish international dealership outlets. Check out the videos on their website of the Solo chassis being put through it's paces at their local track.

DiscjockeyDale

SoloOwners 09-29-2016 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan (Post 522988)
I read about this trike 2 months ago- now 2 months later; a body and ready to sell. Amazing! As nice as the Arcimoto is, it is still far away from full enclosure. This is slick in my opinion.

I agree, it is slick and I'm looking forward to driving mine sometime before 3Q of '17. Electra Meccanica will start production slowly. They plan on 10-20 units a month for the first few months. By April '17 they hope to have ramped up to 100 a month and after that they plan on producing them in quite large numbers. They've reportedly got in excess of 20,000 commercial reservations with inquiries for another 60,000.

Arcimoto has completed it's ETC version (the last SRK designated for all of the final changes before the production of the Signature Series). They will be producing the Signature Series in the very near future. The reason that Arcimoto had not produced an actual enclosure is: They didn't want to do that until they had an absolute final production version of the SRK done. In other words, why go to all the extra work and expense to make a new and different enclosure for every new and improved SRK prototype? That was the explanation from Arcimoto. It makes sense to me. Rest assured that Arcimoto will have an enclosure available for the SRK when the it goes into production. BTW, I also have the SRK Owners Forum.

DiscjockeyDale

SoloOwners 10-24-2016 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sendler (Post 520565)
Looks like a good package with a real price. They need to make sure it qualifies for the USA 10% refund.

Well, it will as long as the US Federal Gov extends the incentive into 2017.
Right now it's due to expire on the first of the year. The Solo is still in the process of getting US compliance certification, but when it gets that, yes it would be eligible for the 10% if it still exists.

SoloOwners 10-24-2016 02:58 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that Electra Meccanica has moved my delivery date up from 3Q '17 to April '17. When's the last time that a start up delivered BEFORE they said they would? There are a ton of videos on the Solo out there and on my Solo Owner's forum.

The Arcimoto SRKs just finished a US tour last month which included test drives and Arctimoto is now in hand-build production of their signature series for their investors.

rmay635703 10-24-2016 07:29 PM

Now they just need to offer a lengthened version called the duo and they could put Elio to bed.

RedDevil 10-25-2016 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 525586)
Now they just need to offer a lengthened version called the duo and they could put Elio to bed.

Then proceed to widen it, add a wheel, call it Quattro and put Tesla to bed :)

NeilBlanchard 05-08-2018 02:07 PM

Electra Meccanica is now shipping Solo's to the US:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...vehicle-to-u-s

Stubby79 05-08-2018 11:41 PM

Wonder how long it sill take Canada before they allow them on the road...sigh.

sendler 05-09-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 525621)
Then proceed to widen it, add a wheel, call it Quattro and put Tesla to bed :)

I need four wheels to get through the snow in the two tracks that all of the other cars make. But then it becomes a car and must carry a multitude of airbags and crash testing that none of us really need.

NeilBlanchard 05-09-2018 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sendler (Post 569079)
I need four wheels to get through the snow in the two tracks that all of the other cars make.

How does the first car ever make the tracks? Do all cars have to have the exact same width track?

sendler 05-09-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 569086)
How does the first car ever make the tracks? Do all cars have to have the exact same width track?

You live in snow so you should have a good idea what I am talking about.
The first car has a much tougher time of it than the 50th car, or semi, in an hour.

Winter roads develop two tracks with a ridge of piled up slush in the center. Changing lanes on a divided highway becomes a maneuver requiring commitment to carve through the slush piles between the lanes and in the center of the new lane. To get across you wait, wait,... Go for it. With a determined input. Now imagine a threewheeler with the rear tire constantly skipping and jittering through the slush ridge. Very dangerous.
When there is no snow or ice on the road, I ride my motorcycle at 104 mpg. If I bought a Zero electric moto I would be at 250 mpge. In the winter I need four tires.

Christopher Jordan 05-16-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 569072)
Wonder how long it sill take Canada before they allow them on the road...sigh.

My GasOne feed this morning said that first customer has an EM 3-wheeler, so they are up and running! [and Elio weeps ;)]

Stubby79 08-09-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan (Post 569879)
My GasOne feed this morning said that first customer has an EM 3-wheeler, so they are up and running! [and Elio weeps ;)]

Just saw it on the news that they delivered their first one a month ago, and that they're legal on BC streets. That's great!

Xist 01-02-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botsapper (Post 520095)
2017 Electrac Meccanica Solo EV, another trike, will be available to the public on September 9, 2016!

Apparently they sold a few dozen last year and are shipping this quarter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 525586)

The two seater is called Tofino and costs more than three times as much as the Solo.

This made the local news. I had forgotten about it.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/31...factory-video/

redpoint5 01-02-2019 03:24 PM

How do any of these get sold when you can buy a used Leaf, Spark, or i3 for less money?

rmay635703 02-27-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 587582)
Apparently they sold a few dozen last year and are shipping this quarter.

The two seater is called Tofino and costs more than three times as much as the Solo.

This made the local news. I had forgotten about it.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/31...factory-video/

All this solo talk got me thinking of this thing

https://www.designboom.com/technolog...ls-02-04-2019/

Now if you could merge the two cars efficiency of the solo with the price and 2 seats of the Sondors.

Sadly I think the s car is DOA

samwichse 02-27-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 587584)
How do any of these get sold when you can buy a used Leaf, Spark, or i3 for less money?

How do any new Mitsubishi Mirages get sold, when you can buy a used Acura TSX for less money?

JSH 02-27-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwichse (Post 592210)
How do any new Mitsubishi Mirages get sold, when you can buy a used Acura TSX for less money?

I don't know that a 19 year old car is a fair comparison.

You can get a 2 year old Leaf with less than 10K miles for the price of the Solo.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=231370370

samwichse 03-01-2019 08:44 AM

I mean, it's only a 9 year old car, and a Honda with less than 100k. But it's also a luxury marque in an attempt to show the absurdity of the statement.

So....
You can get a 3 year old Honda Fit with less than 50k for significantly less than the price of a Mirage.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Or you can get one that's about 1.5 years old with 36k for about the price of a Mirage:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

It's a larger, more luxurious, better appointed car.

Or how about a Cruze LT with 18k?
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

My point was that every new car, especially every new "econo" model has to do battle with a huge, inexpensive used market where the "off the lot" penalty has already been paid. Thems the breaks for this segment.

JSH 03-01-2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwichse (Post 592395)
My point was that every new car, especially every new "econo" model has to do battle with a huge, inexpensive used market where the "off the lot" penalty has already been paid. Thems the breaks for this segment.

True. The same can be said for motorcycles. A BMW R1250RT costs as much as a new Honda Civic. There is no logically reason to buy the motorcycle. People buy a motorcycle priced the same as a car for the experience of riding a motorcycle. It is very different than driving a car.

The problem for the Solo is that it isn't a different form factor. It is a car driving experience, without the safety of a car, from a start-up company, that is likely to be out of business before the warranty ends.

I personally think the Solo would have sold 10 years ago when affordable EVs were rare. People would have overlooked the downside just to own an EV. Today the market is flooded with cheap off-lease EVs with 4-5 years of warranty remaining.

We will see if enough people want to be different for the sake of being different.

EDIT: I also agree that there is no logical reason to buy a Mirage.

rmay635703 03-01-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 592408)
True.

Today the market is flooded with cheap off-lease EVs with 4-5 years of warranty remaining

EDIT: I also agree that there is no logical reason to buy a Mirage.

It’s flooded as you say because used EVs are hard sells in their home markets
AKA Most EVowners want a new EV. Further that many states punitively tax an EV which virtually haults used EV sales in those areas.

Most EVs in Wisconsin were bought used and were originally from primarily 3 states.

The result of all this is a strange situation where a lot of salvage EVs get exported overseas for more money and parts / usedcars become more scarce here.

JSH 03-01-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 592433)
It’s flooded as you say because used EVs are hard sells in their home markets
AKA Most EVowners want a new EV. Further that many states punitively tax an EV which virtually haults used EV sales in those areas.

Most EVs in Wisconsin were bought used and were originally from primarily 3 states.

The result of all this is a strange situation where a lot of salvage EVs get exported overseas for more money and parts / usedcars become more scarce here.

The market is flooded because most EVs are originally sold on 3 year leases and EV sales are picking up.

I assume the “punitive tax” is the registration fee for EVs. Do people really not by an EV that will save them $1000 on fuel per year because they don’t want to pay the State government a $100 registration fee?

rmay635703 03-01-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 592446)
The market is flooded because most EVs are originally sold on 3 year leases and EV sales are picking up.

I assume the “punitive tax” is the registration fee for EVs. Do people really not by an EV that will save them $1000 on fuel per year because they don’t want to pay the State government a $100 registration fee?

Yes, Wisconsin EV sales fell to single digit monthly sales after the fee passed.

Other states without EV incentives have had the EV market collapse after adding fees as well.

Can tell me it shouldn’t be that way but that’s how it’s been working by the numbers.

Further my Insight uses about $150-$180 per year of fuel
My Plug in uses $150-$180 a year of “fuel” as well

A $100 annual fee is equal to 40% of my driving expenses
(considering my maintenance 5 years in is nearly zero on both)

JSH 03-01-2019 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 592469)
Yes, Wisconsin EV sales fell to single digit monthly sales after the fee passed.

Other states without EV incentives have had the EV market collapse after adding fees as well.

Can tell me it shouldn’t be that way but that’s how it’s been working by the numbers.

Further my Insight uses about $150-$180 per year of fuel
My Plug in uses $150-$180 a year of “fuel” as well

A $100 annual fee is equal to 40% of my driving expenses
(considering my maintenance 5 years in is nearly zero on both)

You seem to drive much less than the average person. The average person drives 13,500 miles per year.

13,500 miles / 30 mpg x $3 per gallon is $1350 per year for gasoline.

13,500 miles / 4.5 miles / kWh x $0.115 per kWh is $345 per year for electricity.

I agree that a flat fee doesn't make sense. We should just replace the gas tax with a mileage fee applied to all vehicles.