EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Electric ATV (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/electric-atv-35627.html)

oil pan 4 09-14-2017 07:11 AM

Electric ATV

I was looking for an ATV or utv for some land I'm buying.
Then got to thinking I really don't need a gas powered one since it will never be more than 1/2 of a mile from power.
There is no road or trail so no need or chance to go faster than 25mph.
But I will need torque.
A 4x4 would be nice but a 2wd machine would have more room for batteries and stuff.

I would like at least a 24v system since I have a 120v powered 7amp 24v floor scrubbing machine charger.
Only thing I would want to stay away from is 36v since I can't hook up a power inverter to it.
I could do 48v if need be, I would have to buy a 48v charger.

Has any one built anything like this?

Frank Lee 09-14-2017 08:14 AM

Not exactly, but Polaris Ranger EV.

Daox 09-14-2017 08:25 AM

Sounds like a fun project. I'd definitely recommend 48V if you want any speed out of it.

Alternatively, if you're just looking for utility and not a ton of off-road ability, just convert a riding mower like I have done. Then you can mow on electrons and haul stuff around. Not much fun as an off road vehicle though.

oil pan 4 09-14-2017 09:42 AM

I'm pretty sure I need suspension or I would do a go cart or riding mower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 549879)
Not exactly, but Polaris Ranger EV.

If I can find one, they are over priced and over proprietarized.
I would be looking more at the open source route. Off the shelf motor, controller and battery of my choosing with simple off the shelf charger that doesn't have anything special about it.

thingstodo 09-14-2017 09:55 AM

I am in the process of reviving 4 Polaris EVs (2011) that were surplus from a salt mine. The driveline is a 3 phase 48V AC motor and a gearbox/rear differential in a compact package. The AC Controller is a 650A air-cooled Sevcon Gen 4 with a custom firmware built to drive the Polaris dash.

I think the tongue weight is rated at 500 lbs and trailer towing is about 1500 lbs.

So far, I would have no trouble recommending the motor/gearbox/CV axles/wheels etc.

The controller is picky about power up sequence, throttle voltage levels ... I'm working through it. I had one running but am working through some *SERIOUS* corrosion issues on electrical connections.

I see no issues with replacing the Sevcon with Paul's AC Controller (you could scale back on the components) for DIY. I plan to install my 1200 amp, 400V version of Paul's AC Controller on one of them, just to see what kind of fun can be had .. at 48VDC for the pack ... It has a full roll cage .. and seat belts ..

A less expensive and perhaps more available option is the Club Car Carryall series of golf-cart based utility vehicles. They are 48V DC machines with a bit less torque but I use one on my acreage to move plants, wood chips, gravel, etc.

EDIT: It has a 2 inch ball hitch, but no receiver like the Polaris. I know it will haul about 1000 lbs, but am not sure if I am overloading it.

I only have 5 acres so I'm never that far from power and I'm never driving for more than a few minutes at a time. There is a robust after-market in motor/gearboxes and higher power controllers to fit, or you can convert to 4wd (the one I use is 4wd) with various kits. Paul's DC controller would work as a DIY for the Carryall. I haven't tried my IGBT DC controller in the carryall as yet. It might be a tight squeeze. Paul's controller is much larger than the ALLTRAX that I am using now.

You can build a Carryall from golf cart salvage parts if you are so inclined.

Many of the newer golf carts are using AC motors now. It seems that DC is used indoors for cleaning equipment now, and everything that is golf cart sized and larger is going to AC.

dwtaylorpdx 09-18-2017 12:21 PM

Ez-go golf cart with a lift kit, bunch of companies in that game now for the snow-birds in AZ.. They even bump up the size of the battery setup and put in bigger controllers .. Some get pretty crazy..

samwichse 09-18-2017 01:06 PM

Road Legal StreetQuad conversion - DIY Electric Car Forums

If you want to see it really nicely on a quad.

Recommended for that thread since it's all photobucket: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bifiaedg?hl=en

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-20-2017 11:01 AM

Converting one of those Japanese mini trucks to electric would be out of question? BTW I'm aware that some Chinese mini trucks were avaliable there in electric versions, even though I'm not sure if 4WD had been an option for the electrics or only for the gasoline-powered ones.

Stubby79 09-20-2017 11:31 AM

There's a video around of a gutted, doorless geo metro...you could just make yours electric. Chop the rear half of the roof off an make it a "truck". One hell of a lot cheaper than a utv.

Piotrsko 09-21-2017 06:38 PM

The Chinese stuff is limited movement suspension and not very robust. Think college campuses. We used ours on sidewalks and smooth lawns at work. Teenie tires also.