EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Electric bus undergoing tests in Florianópolis, Brazil (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/electric-bus-undergoing-tests-florianopolis-brazil-37793.html)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-27-2019 12:33 AM

Electric bus undergoing tests in Florianópolis, Brazil

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PvOISo7dE...817_153243.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qItHaDUhU...817_153305.jpg

Its frame is made by Mercedes-Benz, then converted to electric by Eletra. The body is made by Marcopolo. It's fitted with Lithium batteries and, unlike the trolleybuses with the powertronics supplied by Eletra that are operating commercially in São Paulo, this bus is fitted with solar panels. Maximum speed is governed to 80kmph, to give it a safety margin to operate on a highway stretch.

thingstodo 08-27-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 605415)
[IMG]...
this bus is fitted with solar panels. Maximum speed is governed to 80kmph, to give it a safety margin to operate on a highway stretch.

That is (IMHO) too small an area of solar panels to power a bus for more than a couple of miles per day.

It will be enough to make a difference. But it is likely more efficient to put the solar panels (plus another 10X that many) on a building, or on the ground, and feed them into the grid .. or into a battery pack that recharges the bus after it gets to the end of it's daily route.

:D

oil pan 4 08-27-2019 05:02 PM

Solar panels on a bus might be able to power the accessories and air conditioning during mid day for a few hours.

Xist 08-27-2019 05:45 PM

At least the roof provides a broad and flat surface, but why are there rails? Won't those block sunlight?

The other advantages of mounting the solar panels on the ground or a building is that they can track and should not have random trees, buildings, and tunnels randomly blocking the sun.

redpoint5 08-27-2019 06:10 PM

Well, you can't signal how green you are unless you provide 0.01% of your energy consumption via solar. Sure, it makes you 99.99% the same as everyone else, but it's surprising how much virtue is packed into such a small number.

Hersbird 08-28-2019 11:16 PM

Our little Montana city now has 9 full size electric buses. 5 years ago the university bought one, then added 2 more 2 years later, and this summer the city added 6 more zero fair to boot. I have yet to get a chance to ride one, the city ones have only been here a month. Ours are these guys
https://www.proterra.com/vehicles/ca...-electric-bus/

redpoint5 08-29-2019 01:00 AM

25 MPGe. That sounded low to me until I looked up the fuel economy of a modern ICE city bus... at 3 MPG!

Alright, buses should be hybrid at minimum, and probably BEV considering you don't need the maintenance headaches of an ICE and the cost of $1 per mile in fuel.

... so city buses are touted as being environmentally friendly, but you'd need 10 passengers to get the darn thing to 30 passenger miles per gallon. You need 17 people to make it as fuel efficient as a Prius with a single occupant, and completely fill it to make it as efficient as a Prius with 2 occupants.

City buses sound like an inferior mode of transportation considering they take you from where you don't live, and drop you off not quite where you need to go, on their own schedule, and don't save any fuel or money in the processes.

Average occupancy of a vehicle is 1.7 persons, while a city bus is 10, FYI.

Hersbird 08-29-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 605618)
25 MPGe. That sounded low to me until I looked up the fuel economy of a modern ICE city bus... at 3 MPG!

Alright, buses should be hybrid at minimum, and probably BEV considering you don't need the maintenance headaches of an ICE and the cost of $1 per mile in fuel.

... so city buses are touted as being environmentally friendly, but you'd need 10 passengers to get the darn thing to 30 passenger miles per gallon. You need 17 people to make it as fuel efficient as a Prius with a single occupant, and completely fill it to make it as efficient as a Prius with 2 occupants.

City buses sound like an inferior mode of transportation considering they take you from where you don't live, and drop you off not quite where you need to go, on their own schedule, and don't save any fuel or money in the processes.

Average occupancy of a vehicle is 1.7 persons, while a city bus is 10, FYI.

I always argued we would be better off with minivans as our ridership was so low, even running direct door to door city owned cars would have made more financial sense considering how much a bus and driver costs. Instead they made it zero fare and ridership did go up pretty good. I still see empty or near empty buses driving the routes but I suppose if they didn't have consistent buses running the routes every hour or so, the peak ridership would drop off. I feel we are more progressive than even Portland or Berkeley, not that that is all a good thing. The best thing about Missoula? We are only 15 minutes away from Montana... I always joke.

redpoint5 08-29-2019 10:49 AM

Running empty/nearly empty routes to encourage ridership that doesn't pay for the cost of running the bus, that still doesn't equate to environmental benefits sounds like the definition of idiocy.

I'll start a different thread. City buses don't make sense from any angle at all. If progressive means wasting all resources, then I guess that's progress.

Hersbird 08-29-2019 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 605635)
Running empty/nearly empty routes to encourage ridership that doesn't pay for the cost of running the bus, that still doesn't equate to environmental benefits sounds like the definition of idiocy.

I'll start a different thread. City buses don't make sense from any angle at all. If progressive means wasting all resources, then I guess that's progress.

Well I tend to agree with you, but it would be possible to be losing money (or being un-green, or whatever your measuring stick) some of the time, but more than making up for it the other times. But take away those loser times and you effect the good times so bad that overall you are now losing rather than winning. Sort of like say retail or UPS. Could you just shut down completely during the slow summer months and just make it big in the holiday season? Or would people get in the habit of finding an alternative and not even look your way come peak season?

redpoint5 08-29-2019 05:54 PM

What I'm saying is that city buses consistently fail to meet any of their presumed goals when you account for low ridership, high ridership, and everything in between. There are zero cities where the bus is entirely funded by fares. There are zero cities where ICE buses consume less fuel per passenger mile than the typical passenger vehicle. Congestion is increased when buses have low occupancy and are making frequent stops, or consume bus only lanes.

So it costs more to run buses than personal vehicles, they pollute more, and they create traffic problems except for those short periods of time where they don't, except those short periods of time don't make up for all the waste during the other periods of time.

Perhaps electric buses make sense, but certainly ICE ones don't.

Quote:

According to the Department of Energy’s Transportation Energy Data Book, in 2010 transporting each passenger one mile by car required 3447 BTUs of energy. Transporting each passenger a mile by bus required 4118 BTUs, surprisingly making bus transit less green by this metric.
Can Mass Transit Save the Environment? Right Wing or Left Wing, Here's a Post Everybody Can Hate - Freakonomics Freakonomics

I'm surprised by the support for city buses, as you've scolded me before for not being libertarian enough.

It seems cities treat public transit as a right, not as something that should make any sort of economic or environmental sense... and ridership is falling nearly everywhere.

Hersbird 08-29-2019 10:55 PM

Yep, I definitely agree. But why would buses be different than any other service state, local, or federal government does. If it worked, the private sector would be all over it.
In this case though even taking money out of it, it still doesn't help with pollution or congestion as you point out.

Xist 08-30-2019 02:41 PM

Did Lyft come out with buses?