Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

91 Honda CRX HF... is it obd1? can i hook up scangauge???

i just recently baught honda crx 91
and i was wondering..are these models obd1?
i still havent researched exactly what that means.
but i know its necessary to hook up scan gauge.

what is my best move to updating the car to moniter mpg?
i head of some other makeshift ways to get same results if its not obd1.

And what are those other upgrade options?

thankyou.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

05 Prius (wife's) - '05 Toyota Prius package 5
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.32 mpg (US)

Citrus - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)
The car is obd1(On Board Diagnostics 1st generation) but... the scan gauge only works on obd2. the short story is, your car is to old for a scan gauge.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Actually, it's "OBD0" -- no On-Board Diagnostics at all. None of the CRXes had it, only ones with swaps would have had them, and rather few of those.

OBD2 became a requirement to sell cars in the US for the 1996 model year. There were a couple of models that would have had them for some or all of the 1995 model year, but not many.

The Scangauge (and Ultragauge, and similar) only work with OBD2, so earlier cars won't work with them.

If you don't mind doing some soldering, some wiring, and some programming, the "MPGuino" (see the "Instrumentation" section of this forum) can be installed and will work.

Otherwise, you can use a vacuum gauge, and calculate MPG with your odometer and the amount of fuel it takes to fill up the tank.

-soD
Old 08-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

someotherdave...

1? so wait all crx are obd0? is that technical term or is there another name?
2? was there another technology or another label prior to obd0?...if so ill google it and research.
3? did you state if i do soldering wiring and programing than i can do the mpguino on the obd0.... or did you say that if i solder wire and program i can hook up obd2 and then scanguage.... i thought mpg guino was a fairly simply qucik easy hook up to a crx...
4? vacum gauge sound inacurate i saw a google image online of the item... looked finiky, and no good...true or no?...im guessing its a quick hook up.
5? is obd2 an easy hook up? or will ihave to go into engine bay and buy other items and open up the engine or something... i havent found any clean simply videos or google results for an answer on the time nmoney and procedure to determine if i want to execute.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OBD0 is, as far as I know, a nickname given to non-OBD cars on some forums.

In the distant past, a few automakers had their own plug-in diagnostic system, but each manufacturer decided if they wanted one and if so what it was going to be. And they weren't that common--and I don't think you can get the information to calculate MPG out of them very easily even if you get a car with such a system.

Soldering is required to put the MPGuino together; you buy it as a bunch of parts and assemble them yourself. Or possibly find someone who has already put one together and buy it from them. Some wiring is required, because you need to hook into power, ground, the Vehicle Speed Sensor signal, and the injector signal.

Vacuum gauges are relatively easy to mount. They will tell you an approximation of how much fuel you are currently using (as in "more fuel" or "less fuel", but no numbers). Using it for real-time driving feedback is easier than the indications of engine condition which are probably the most common instructions you would find for using them.

Don't even try to convert to OBD2, it's not worth the hassle and the money. Unless you swap in a US-spec 1996+ engine and engine management system, plus do some creative re-wiring and so on. Most people swapping later motors into early Civics will convert down so they don't have to mess with the OBD2 stuff, which tells you that the OBD2 swap is challenging even then.

-soD

Reply  Post New Thread