EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Electric Minis - Coming Soon! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/electric-minis-coming-soon-5607.html)

SuperTrooper 10-18-2008 04:40 PM

Electric Minis - Coming Soon!

New York, New Jersey and California leases only.

LA Preview: Officially, official: the MINI E! Does it use a Tesla battery? - AutoblogGreen

Who needs more than 2 seats anyway?

SVOboy 10-18-2008 04:46 PM

I'm hoping darin or I can get out to the LA auto show to get a look at this, but that's still in the mix, so no promises, :)

Christopher Jordan 10-18-2008 06:09 PM

Very interesting! Won't have to go through that "US compatible tires ONLY" problem I had!

jasonm 10-18-2008 10:07 PM

ahhh, 500 cars, lease to "certain individuals/corporations only".
Quote:

The cars will change hands based on a one-year lease with an extension option. Monthly lease installments will cover any required technical service including all necessary maintenance and the replacement of wearing parts. At the end of the lease, all of the automobiles belonging to the project will be returned to the BMW Group's engineering fleet where they will be subjected to comparative tests.
Sounds like GM and the EV1.

NeilBlanchard 10-18-2008 10:20 PM

Hiya,

Why does it have a grill? C'mon BMW -- seal that puppy up!

SuperTrooper 10-19-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonm (Post 68032)
ahhh, 500 cars, lease to "certain individuals/corporations only".

Sounds like GM and the EV1.

It's the price you pay for the priviledge of doing their long term R&D for them. :D You get to drive a cool car nobody else has.
:cool:

Christopher Jordan 10-19-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper (Post 68096)
It's the price you pay for the priviledge of doing their long term R&D for them. :D You get to drive a cool car nobody else has.
:cool:

Great way of putting it! I suppose that I was doing R&D with the EL, and found it was not plug-n-go but required a spaghetti expert to keep going. I'll just part it out and stick a golf cart motor in that I can get parts for. I may have a crummy "kit"car, but a one-of-a-kind cool car! :cool:

bennelson 10-19-2008 08:35 PM

Great to hear about the Min-E Cooper!

I didn't care to hear it's specs listed as a negative.

"The MINI E demonstrates again that battery technology is still lacking when it comes to energy density. Along with giving up two seats and several hundred miles of range, the electric MINI also weighs in at 550 lbs more than the gas powered Cooper S."

They are comparing the RANGE of a gas car to an electric version!

I would be EXSTATIC to have an electric car that can go 150 miles!!!

It still bugs me that everything is always compared to gas! I didn't notice anywhere in there about how much more efficient electric is or how much it helps air quality or any of the other advantages of EVs!

The Tesla has about a 52KWh battery pack. I talked with a Tesla salesperson for about an hour this summer. The total pack size to get that 200 miles plus range was something I found impressive and memorable.

I look forward to hearing more.