Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2022, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Stock Taycan drove from New York to L.A. spending less than 2.5 hours charging

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b2004169.html

This says it would take 112 gallons at 25MPG.
25MPG?!

On a road trip?!

A 2022 Buick Enclave AWD is only rated a pathetic 25MPG highway and has a 22-gallon tank. Assuming you start with a full tank--like the Porche had a full charge, let's not assume you drive until you are on fumes and manage to eke out an extra two miles before running out of gas--good luck planning that!

You would need to be Wayne Gerdes or something!

You don't fill up four times, you fill up five, and:
Quote:
How long does it take to fill the gas tank?
Two to three minutes, In the US, people who fill gas tanks with a flow rate of 3.785 liters per minute can expect to fill their tanks in two to three minutes. In the EU, people who fill gas tanks with a flow rate of 1.1912 liters per minute can expect to fill their tanks in one and a half to two minutes.
https://www.automotiveguider.com/aut...a-gas-station/

Yeah, I spend longer than that.

I remember systems to pay quickly and easily, but I swear that it takes two minutes to swipe my card, give my ZIP, give my club card number, and accept whatever discount I get.

How Stuff Works says that it takes a pump 15 seconds to start pumping after processing your payment and every process involves a delay.

I usually finish cleaning my windshield and back window in about the time it takes to pump.

Hang up the nozzle, wait for my receipt, and take off.

Five stops might take a total of 25 minutes--if you don't stop for food, drink, or bathroom breaks.

So, the Taycan would take six times as long, but I think there is something wrong with someone who drives 500 miles without a break.

No thanks!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-01-2022, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
They must have stopped frequently to keep the charging rate in the sweet zone, below 50% charge.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 02-02-2022, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
2-3 minutes

During episodes of holiday travel, I've experienced 15-minute waits at a local RACETRAK station near the interstate before I could pull up to a pump.
When 'full', Barbie and Ken, rather than move and park, just leave their vehicle at the pump while relieving themselves, shopping and snacking. Expectant drivers waiting.
Some don't bother to turn off their engine, left idling for the quarter hour. Such an inconvenience I suppose.
Warning labels are for little people.
Xist (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Eco Rodder

Quote:
How long does it take to fill the gas tank?
Two to three minutes, In the US, people who fill gas tanks with a flow rate of 3.785 liters per minute can expect to fill their tanks in two to three minutes. In the EU, people who fill gas tanks with a flow rate of 1.1912 liters per minute can expect to fill their tanks in one and a half to two minutes.

Am I missing something in the math here? 3.785 liters (1 US gallon) per minute would only fill 2-3 gallons in 2-3 minutes. The tank in my smallest car is 14 gallons. At the above rate it would take substantially longer that 2-3 minutes to fill, even if I filled at 1/4 tank, which is normal for me.
Which tells me the flow rate mentioned is bogus. Where did this info come from?
Old 02-02-2022, 01:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
American Homeowner BEV charging

1) American homeowner BEV owner/lessees charge at home, with the lowest rates for most of the year. They don't need public chargers most of the year.
2) In 2015, the national average retail kWh price at public charging stations was 13-cents.
3) Perhaps, for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and annual vacation, American homeowner BEV owners would be subject to relying on public charging infrastructure.
4) Some Tesla owners have told me that they'll receive unlimited free supercharger use as long as they own their Tesla, as a condition of their sales contract.
5) Tesla, is also going into the retail electric power provider business and will purchase all available renewable power they can, as well as produce renewable /stored electric power at their own sites. Providing zero-carbon GWhs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A) During holiday travel, 'ALL' motorists end their 'cruising' and must seek some form of 'fueling' infrastructure before resuming the next leg of their journey.
B) They will also lose time with bathroom breaks.
C) Dining.
D) Snack & Souvenir shopping.
E) Today, at a WalMart, they can usually do all of the above simultaneously, with their automobile charging at the same time @ Electrify America in the parking lot, or purchase fuel at MURPHY or SAM's Club stations.
F) Once at their final destination, if a family or loved one who's also a homeowner, they may have an opportunity -charge capability afforded to them. 'Free charge' for the first leg of the return trip. They can spend the whole holiday visit charging and never lose a minute 'visiting.'
G) Since a BEV BSFC-e is 350% - 400% lower than an ICE, even 'expensive' kWhs don't really incur a cost penalty.
H) If one's comfortable being a 'slow-poke', a garden variety Tesla Model S will give 197-mpg at 55-mph and 584-miles range on it's 2.966-gallon 'tank.'
If your bladder's tough enough, you might do the whole one-way trip without stopping.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
2.5 hours actually connected and letting the electrons flow. And to do that number they had to stop very often. So how much time was actually spent off of the line of travel at speed? There is so much more wasted time than just "charging".

That thing does seem to charge really fast so that definitely is good.

Edit, their $76 cost isn't exactly fair as they start with a free full tank. If I did that on my old TDI then I guess I get the first 800 miles free.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
67-ls1 (02-02-2022), aerohead (02-02-2022), Piotrsko (02-02-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread