Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2017, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Mein neues projekt

A 1979 VW Dasher diesel, 174,000 miles, for somewhere over NADA mid-book. But I traded for a set of wheels, so there's the 'clothesline paradox' where the overall economy is unaffected. But I have transitioned from burning clear premium to biodiesel.

The first step in bonding with the new vehicle was to spring for Pacific Wonderland plates. They put it up on the rack and re-torqued the rear wheel bearings and swapped the tires front to back for me. Next step will be a wheel alignment. Then a road trip.

Progress will be slow, but it already has a block heater; and a little Easter-egg I found on my own —it has a five speed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksw..._North_America
Quote:
1979 saw the introduction of the 1.5 l diesel engine, which produced just 48 PS (35 kW) in the 1130 kg (2500 lb) car. This version was not available as an Audi. 0–100 km/h time for the Diesel was 19.4 seconds, 6.2 seconds slower than the gasoline (petrol) engine.
The color is Mexico Beige, which also appeared on the Porsche 924 and the bay-window campers. That thing hanging down from the right front corner is a 110v plug for a block heater. Expect slow progress.

While this a very primitive diesel, there will be some learning curve. Things I might do:
  • Diesel exhaust fluid injection
  • Propane injection
  • NOS injection
  • KERS via a Buick Lacrosse alternator and serpentine belt.
Opinion-neutral advise is welcome. Things I surely will do
  • Plastidip bumpers
  • bellmouth the induction snorkel
  • bellmouth the exhaust tip
  • A proper plenum leading to the radiator
  • wheel spats/diffuser
  • perforated metal Kammback

Edit 20170608: First eco-mod

bellmouth on the intake sknorkel

Last edited by freebeard; 06-08-2017 at 02:56 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-30-2017), Ecky (05-30-2017), iveyjh (06-08-2017), ME_Andy (05-27-2017), niky (05-29-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2017, 04:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
How are you planning to manage the DEF setup? BTW what about turbocharging it?
Old 05-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I don't know. Those first three are possibilities, but I'm most interested in the mild hybrid stop/start and regen that the alternator swap would provide.

A turbo might be less work, but I want to sit at stop lights in complete silence. This thing sound like a box of gravel at idle.

Today is Plastidip day.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Primer is still paint!

85 Chevy Pickup C10 - '85 Chevy C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
....A turbo might be less work, but I want to sit at stop lights in complete silence. This thing sound like a box of gravel at idle.
Today is Plastidip day.
You might consider plastidipping the floor pans on both sides for noise reduction. Plus it will help with unibody rust/rot.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The underside is pretty good, but there is rust and possibly penetration in the rain gutters. The front bumper is gray and the rear is black, because that's what I had. Once I decide which I like better, I'll get two more rattle cans for 3rd and 4th coats.

I talked to the Previous Owner [hereafter PO] and he said he swapped in the five speed. He also got the Bilstein springs and shocks, and the wheels, from a Quantum wagon — if I got that right. He'd owned it since 2003. The first 60,000 miles maintenance [ending in 1986] was performed by Rolle Vollstedt, who was a local legend, back in the day.

Next step — windshield wiper blades and wheel alignment.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
I don't know. Those first three are possibilities, but I'm most interested in the mild hybrid stop/start and regen that the alternator swap would provide.

A turbo might be less work, but I want to sit at stop lights in complete silence. This thing sound like a box of gravel at idle.
Just a remind: since your Dasher is fitted with an indirect-injection engine, it won't respond so well to idle shut-off as some direct-injection engines do. Would it be too hard to overcome EPA regulations and get a 1.9SDI (naturally-aspirated and IIRC doesn't require electronic controls, even though from 2000 on it became mandatory in Western Europe to comply with stricter emission regulations) from Argentina as a replacement part? But anyway, a turbo wouldn't be so bad at all, since it already provides a moderate degree of exhaust noise suppression and is usually an improvement to the efficiency in Diesels.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
Indirect has that coarse sound as naturally aspirated.

A turbo will help some of that noise, also some dampening could help with comfort a bit.

But indirects often shut down like tractors with some after-idle, not instantly if you don't have a shut-down valve, i'd think?

Mercedes used the indirect injected engine very long, because it was smoother than a Common-rail they introduced common rail first when they could make them more silent

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Focused on MPG

Marinator - '06 Mercury Mariner Premier
90 day: 10.61 mpg (US)

SILVER BULLET - '19 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN GT
90 day: 19.6 mpg (US)

Myrtle - Wife's JKU - '12 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport
90 day: 15.7 mpg (US)
We have farmers in my area that run used transmission fluid that has been filtered 4 times, you don't have the smoke that the old diesel fuel did in the same system, I don't know if it would help but he buy used trans fluid from us very cheap, so in turn he also saves fuel in a way

Staying Focus'd on MPG
Old 05-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Would it be too hard to overcome EPA regulations and get a ... replacement part?
Yes.

I spent yesterday trying to find a vuvuzela for my first engine mode and came up dry.

I did top up the tank. It turns out there're three grades of biodiesel— 1%, 5% and 20% bio. The owner's manual says Diesel #2, so on the recommendation of the attendant I got 1%. 1% is next to nothing.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
I spent yesterday trying to find a vuvuzela for my first engine mode and came up dry.
What the hell would you want to do with a vuvuzela on that engine?

Quote:
I did top up the tank. It turns out there're three grades of biodiesel— 1%, 5% and 20% bio. The owner's manual says Diesel #2, so on the recommendation of the attendant I got 1%. 1% is next to nothing.
It can handle even B100 safely, as long as its fuel system is flushed to get rid of any impurity accumulated over the years. You could eventually go with a higher amount of biodiesel gradually, in order to do this flush without having to clog a handful of fuel filters

Reply  Post New Thread