Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ecomodder "Lite"

Redbox - '86 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 37.46 mpg (US)
Extra Motorcycle - Looking for Ideas

I've got an extra Buell Blast laying around the house and I'm considering what to do with it. My wife bought it for her first bike a few years ago, and over the last few years we've upgraded it a bit performance-wise. It now has a high compression 515cc engine as well as high performance cams, exhaust, intake, and ignition. She recently upgraded to a new "full-size" Buell so the lonely old Blast is just sitting around gathering dust. We've thought about selling it, but I think I'd rather have some fun with it. It currently gets between 70 and 80 MPG, which is darned impressive for how much power it has (plus the fact that it's essentially just the front half of a very low-tech Sportster engine). I figure that with some aero mods and gearing changes I could have a fairly fun commutermobile that gets over 100 MPG. I'm looking for some input and ideas on what kind of changes I could make. I'm not opposed to mutilating the bike but I'd prefer to keep the mods as simple as possible. For those of you not familiar with the Buell Blast, see these links:
Buell Blast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Buell Blast - Motorcycle.com

I'd love to do something similar to this, but I'm not sure that the frame would allow for the seating position without major modifications:
De ligmotor

I've also contemplated making it into a 3 wheeler like this as well but I'm not sure how I would go about it:
HyperRocket: 125 mpg, 100+ mph 3-wheel motorcycle | Hypermiling, Fuel Economy, and EcoModding News - EcoModder.com

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated! I'll try to post some pictures of the current configuration soon.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

that is impressive mileage. I've got a dr350 that I changed a little to help mileage on trips, mainly gearing. it gets 75 to 80, which isn't any better than what your getting. it's interesting that you mentioned doing performance mods but still getting good mpg. I enrichened mine a little to get rid of a flat spot and figured I would lose a bit of mpg but I actually ended up getting better, don't know why. I've got a small windshield on mine but I don't believe it makes any difference. I would think some kind of fairing and gearing would help. your kind of on your own with a blast. not much support in the aftermarket for them. I'll be watching to see how it comes along.

Reply  Post New Thread