EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Electricians - Electrical Install Question (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/electricians-electrical-install-question-30327.html)

redpoint5 10-25-2014 06:03 PM

Electricians - Electrical Install Question

I am planning to install a 15A outdoor outlet 30 ft away from the garage.

Yesterday I finished boring under the concrete pathway and installed a PVC pipe to route the cable underneath.

My first question is, what is the minimum code depth for direct burying my 14 awg UF-B cable in Vancouver, WA. I see conflicting info on the web, and looking up the code from the state/county seems impossible.

This site says I only need to bury the cable 12" deep. Other sources say I need to bury 24", and even up to 30".

I'm planning to piggyback this outdoor circuit off of an interior outlet, directly opposite of the interior junction box. I haven't installed this interior outlet yet. Is it acceptable to piggyback outlets on a circuit that is currently only used for garage lighting? I think I will run a new breaker for this new run, since the extra distance isn't too far, but I'm just curious what my other options are. Should I instead put the 2 new outlets on the same circuit that currently handles the existing 3 garage electrical outlets?

I understand that the circuit will require a GFCI prior to exiting the structure, so I will make the new interior outlet be GFCI.

Finally, I would like to run a water line through the same PVC conduit that goes under the concrete pathway to install a sprinkler system. Does code allow for water and electric to run in the same conduit?

Cobb 10-25-2014 07:05 PM

Sounds like the making of a future episode of Homes on Homes. :thumbup:

More importantly, what will this be powering? It maybe best to put on its own circuit if this is for an EV charging vs just a couple hundred watt block heater or Christmas lights.

redpoint5 10-25-2014 09:56 PM

I meant to mention that the outlet was just going to be used for a 20 watt LED landscape light.

redpoint5 10-27-2014 02:34 AM

Here is a map of my plan.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...uitInstall.png

toc 10-27-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 451893)
, I would like to run a water line through the same PVC conduit that goes under the concrete pathway to install a sprinkler system. Does code allow for water and electric to run in the same conduit?

Water and electricity here would be an absolute no.

Bury 600mm in orange conduit for the full run of cable. Safety first.

hamsterpower 10-27-2014 09:45 AM

I agree that water should definately not share a conduit with electric ever!
The depth of the trench usually is due to the local frost line. 3+ feet here in MA, but I don't know in OR. There is cable availible that can be buried legally without conduit, but that too could conflict with local code. Keep the cable in conduit all the way down the wall and up to the outlet mounted to the tree at the end. It can be without conduit for the horizontal run if deep enough. You should add a foot of sand on top of the cable.
There should not be any problem adding this new recepticle to the existing two garage outlets. Those in the garage *should* already be GFI protected. If they are not, add your GFI to the first in the chain. Do not however put two GFI recepticles on the same circuit as they tend to cancel eachother out.

redpoint5 10-27-2014 02:15 PM

I don't understand the purpose of GFCI outlets. The circuit breaker is already protecting from excessive current, so why put a second circuit breaker in?

Xist 10-27-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 452115)
I don't understand the purpose of GFCI outlets. The circuit breaker is already protecting from excessive current, so why put a second circuit breaker in?

Breakfast in bed is good. Breakfast in bath is better.

redpoint5 10-27-2014 10:37 PM

I Googled it.

Quote:

Ground Fault Circuit Interupter device protects us from receiving electric shocks from faults in the electrical devices we use in our home. It works by comparing the input current on the hot side to the output current on the neutral side. If there's the slightest difference in current, on the order of a few milliamps, then there is current leaking out somewhere, possibly through somebody's body. To protect us in this situation, the device very quickly cuts off the power supply to the leaking device, within 20-30 milliseconds, greatly reducing any possible human tissue damage from errant current.
So it doesn't trip to protect against fires from excessive current use, but instead trips if electricity leakage occurs to protect against electrocution.

It seems excessive considering how wimpy our 120v AC is in the States.

Fat Charlie 10-28-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 452053)

How about plan B? Admittedly no sprinkler line, but less of a lot of other things.

http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PD...rden-Light.jpg

j12piprius 10-28-2014 10:46 AM

You could run a wire from a 5 to 24 volt transformer that's inside, or use a solar arrangement.

Here are some 5 vac transformers on Ebay.

http://shop.mcccomputers.com/14103-l...v-dc-300ma.jpg

Cobb 10-28-2014 07:12 PM

How about use a 10 gauge extension cord til the holidays are over?

redpoint5 02-18-2015 03:13 PM

I'm adding a 240v outlet to my garage and also want to add a 120v interior and exterior outlet. I've got a few questions concerning code and will just throw out some ideas.

Referring back to this sketch
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...uitInstall.png

I'd like to install an outlet where the sketch shows "new interior outlet", and also install an exterior outlet just on the other side of the wall. Can I have 2 junction boxes back to back? I realize it will have to be GFCI since it goes outside. I'm thinking about having the exterior outlet be 240v to have an extra charging point in case I can't fit 2 cars inside the garage.

My electric service runs through a 200 amp main breaker.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...um/Breaker.jpg

I'd like to run a 40 or 50 amp 240v outlet from the ceiling of the center of the garage. I would run 6 or 8 awg wire for this. Although my Prius can easily charge at full speed on a 15 amp circuit, I'd like to future proof the outlet in case I sell the Acura and get an EV.

Am I allowed to run romex through the same hole in the breaker panel as the ground wire? I notice that all of the existing wires run in double strands through holes in the top of the panel, but the ground wire is by itself.

ksa8907 02-18-2015 06:56 PM

@redpoint5

I would bet that is against code and if not, I still wouldn't do it. Better option is to drill another hole in the side of the panel if need be.

redpoint5 02-18-2015 08:35 PM

I bought 6-4 wire and a 50 amp breaker today along with the NEMA 14-50r receptacle. No idea who I loaned my fish tape to, so the project is on a short hold.

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use the hole in the breaker panel that the ground wire runs through, so I'll have to drill another hole in the ceiling joist which appears to be a 2x6. The problem is, the roof slopes down and nearly meets with the ceiling joist, so I can't get a drill on top of the board. I'm thinking about going through the joist at a 45 degree angle to put another hole in it. My other option is to cut a section of drywall out above the breaker panel near the ceiling so I can access the wall space and drill upwards to make a new hole through the joist.

Any other ideas?

ksa8907 02-18-2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 468574)
I bought 6-4 wire and a 50 amp breaker today along with the NEMA 14-50r receptacle. No idea who I loaned my fish tape to, so the project is on a short hold.

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use the hole in the breaker panel that the ground wire runs through, so I'll have to drill another hole in the ceiling joist which appears to be a 2x6. The problem is, the roof slopes down and nearly meets with the ceiling joist, so I can't get a drill on top of the board. I'm thinking about going through the joist at a 45 degree angle to put another hole in it. My other option is to cut a section of drywall out above the breaker panel near the ceiling so I can access the wall space and drill upwards to make a new hole through the joist.

Any other ideas?

I feel lucky that i don't have enclosed walls in my garage.

Fat Charlie 02-19-2015 07:50 AM

Cut the drywall. It's the easiest thing to cut and you can replace it afterwards.

hamsterpower 02-19-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 468607)
Cut the drywall. It's the easiest thing to cut and you can replace it afterwards.

Seconded. I too would not double occupy the ground passage.
If your wall is deep enough to not have contact the two boxes on the outside wall can be back to back but it is usually easier to have some offset. Also be sure not to mix 240 and 120 in the same box. I think you need a shut off near the 240 outlet. And all the outlets inside the garage and out side need to be GFI.

Fat Charlie 02-19-2015 01:35 PM

My main concern about back to back boxes in an exterior wall (even more than convenience) would be insulation. I'd rather have it squished a bit in two places than not have it at all in one.

redpoint5 02-19-2015 03:07 PM

Good point, but my garage is uninsulated. I will offset them a little if I end up installing an exterior outlet.

... now that I've wired in the 240v outlet (haven't connected to breaker panel yet), I'm starting to think I should have 2 outlets in the garage. One for the plug-in Prius, and one for a future EV.

By the time I finish all my projects, I'll have rebuilt the entire house and reshaped the landscape.

I hope to build my own house someday; then everything will be where it should be. No 15 amp circuits, no carpet in the bathroom, no over-mounted sinks, etc, etc. And a man-cave.