Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2020, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Morality and intelligence

Why is it that two brilliant minds can completely disagree on a moral topic ?
I would think as a person becomes more intelligent, some morality topics would become agreed upon once you reached a certain level of reasoning.

I think I recall reading that some serial killers are actually quite intelligent, yet they don't see inflicting pain and suffering as something wrong.

And this would be something you would think of as being common sense.

There are so many brilliant minds here on the forum, yet I still see disagreements on morality.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-30-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
morality

Morality is subjective, relative. It cannot be quantified. No 'MORALIMETER.'
Laying off 25% of a workforce during a downturn, to sweeten a first-quarter, corporate profit statement, while simultaneously sending the laid off into bankruptcy, foreclosure, and destitution is a quantifiable business practice with a high certainty of success within the cold calculus of the business universe. Those who can behave this way are highly rewarded. And highly sought after.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
More like darwinism at play. Is it better to lay off 25% of a workforce and keep the business, or lay off 100% of the workforce months later when the business is no more? Those that don't tend to business no longer have one to tend to.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
redneck (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Back to the original question?

There are many ways of characterizing what it is to be human. Some that I favor would be Robt. Anton Wilson's 'reality tunnels'. Everyone is on a path and sometimes those paths run parallel, sometimes obtuse, and as we have seen on the forum sometimes it's a circle-eight race.

Another valid perspective IMHO would be John C. Lilly's Programming and Metaprogramming in the Human Biocomputer. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_biocomputer
Quote:
The term human biocomputer, coined by John C. Lilly, refers to the "hardware" of the human anatomy. This would include the brain, internal organs, and other human organ systems such as cardiovascular, digestive, endocrine, immune, integumentary, lymphatic, muscular, nervous, reproductive, respiratory, skeletal, and urinary systems. The biocomputer has stored program properties, and self-metaprogramming properties, with limits determinable and to be determined.[1]
It's way beyond a mind-brain dichotomy. There're eleven levels.

Then there's 2-axes the Political/Moral compass test. Here you will find mention of 4-axes and 9-axes test I hadn't heard of. AI is using million-axes models.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I think some people can't see much beyond the immediate, more tangible things in life that require attention. They don't "waste time" on abstract stuff. "Someone controls things anyway." Jerky people might call them "sheeple."

Then there's people that intake narrow and/or shallow information/viewpoints.

Some people can't handle challenging their beliefs.

Everyone is damaged. A small percentage of people lash out due to their issues.

They say we run mostly on less-than-conscious thoughts and feelings.

I'm going to start a thread on my biggest moral test: What makes it acceptable to bomb people and places?

And frankly, I think most people can't make a solid argument.

Last edited by sgtlethargic; 10-31-2020 at 12:51 AM..
Old 10-31-2020, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
some morality topics would become agreed upon once you reached a certain level of reasoning.
Different outlooks, different assumptions, different interpretations. To take one case for example, both sides are actually pro-life. I disagree with some of the conclusions and their inherent contradictions, but I do respect the moral position that they come from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
I'm going to start a thread on my biggest moral test: What makes it acceptable to bomb people and places?
Disputes and violence exist in life at every level, and you're drawing an arbitrary line. When you scale up the number of people involved, the disagreements and methods of settling them also get scaled up. The key is to use as little violence as you can, but even traffic laws and zoning regulations have coercive penalties behind them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Disputes and violence exist in life at every level, and you're drawing an arbitrary line. When you scale up the number of people involved, the disagreements and methods of settling them also get scaled up. The key is to use as little violence as you can, but even traffic laws and zoning regulations have coercive penalties behind them.
Please copy and post your comment(s) in the thread I started:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post635220
Old 11-05-2020, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Ping! Is this thing on?

Quote:
Please copy and post your comment(s) in the thread I started:
How did that work for you?

October is so long ago. Now the news is full of GTP-3. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPT-3
Quote:
Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3 is an autoregressive language model that uses deep learning to produce human-like text. It is the third-generation language prediction model in the GPT-n series created by OpenAI, a non-profit San Francisco-based artificial intelligence research laboratory
Open Ai is a creation of Elon Musk with others, annd is co-housed in a vintage building in San Fransisco with Neuralink. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAI Although it's been captured by Microsoft, you have to give Microsoft some slack now that Steve Balmer is gone. The kind of person who writes code for fun has a new sandbox:

https://gpt3examples.com/#examples
Quote:
Developers have built an impressively diverse range of applications using the GPT-3 API, including an all purpose Excel function, a recipe generator, a layout generator (translates natural language to JSX), a search engine and several others.
Did I hear someone say robot overlords?..... The wisdom of Solomon? Careful what you wish for?