Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

GM Tech Center battery explosion

GM already reeling from Volt battery fire woes, gets another dose of bad news/publicity. The R&D lab suffers a battery explosion injuring a couple of technicians. (Wondering, has there been a Prius explosion?) The ongoing research continues to push battery tech but with recent polls of buyer reluctance to buy another hybrid/EV, this may pour cold water on manufacturers' ongoing investment on alternative tech. Just a messenger.Prototype battery blamed in explosion at GM's Tech Center | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Last edited by botsapper; 04-11-2012 at 05:52 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I'm just glad gasoline has never blown up, in a lab or anywhere else!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Cd (04-11-2012), Gasoline Fumes (04-12-2012), niky (04-12-2012), pete c (01-26-2013)
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Here's the problem I have with all this and the timing of it. When you are building stuff, especially cutting edge stuff, stuff is gonna break, blow, not work. We know this. Why is everybody all up in arms about this?

EEEFFFF!

This is really to discourage people from looking at electric cars. This game is not new.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Anybody that knows a bunch of mechanics has probably heard stories of batteries blowing up at some point. People like to think of batteries like you can treat them like D-Cells in your flashlights, but they do have the potential to be dangerous, that said I think the risks are less than that of gasoline, nat gas, LPG but not diesel.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...sounds like GM VOLT and BOEING 787 have something in common...exploding batteries!

...totally different circumstances, I know, but similar consequences and results.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Also different chemistries. Here, let me re-post a note I posted elsewhere....

Something showed up in my mailbox recently on this very subject. (Actually, by way of my bank, curiously enough!) I am pasting the meat of the note here:

Quote:
If you're concerned that the lithium-ion battery packs in your hybrid car could be as dangerous as the batteries in the recently grounded Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft, remain calm. John Voelcker of Green Car Reports explains that while the battery types may be similar, their chemistries are actually quite different.

In his article at Green Car Reports, Voelcker offers a scientific explanation describing the differences between chemistries of the lithium-ion batteries:

"The cells in the 787, from Japanese company GS Yuasa, use a cobalt oxide (CoO2) chemistry, just as mobile-phone and laptop batteries do. That chemistry has the highest energy content, but it is also the most susceptible to overheating that can produce "thermal events" (which is to say, fires).

Tesla Model SOnly one electric car has been built in volume using CoO2 cells, and that's the Tesla Roadster. Only 2,500 of those cars will ever exist.

The Chevrolet Volt range-extended electric car, on the other hand, uses LG Chem prismatic cells with manganese spinel (LiMn2O4) cathodes.

While chemistries based on manganese, nickel, and other metals carry less energy per volume, they are widely viewed as less susceptible to overheating and fires."

Here's a little more information related to the safety of lithium-ion battery packs powering the Teslas and Chevy Volts:

In a dozen Google searches using various combinations of the words "NHTSA, Tesla, battery, fire, lithium-ion," we were unable to find any news related to battery fires in Tesla cars related to thermal events. Keep in mind, most of these cars have been on the road since 2008, so there have been plenty of opportunities for such an instance to occur. They seem pretty safe. Tesla DID have a recall of 439 vehicles related to a low-voltage auxiliary cable which could chafe against the edge of a carbon fiber panel in the vehicle and possibly causing a short, smoke and a possible fire behind the right front headlamp of the vehicle. This is not the same kind of problem.

Chevy Volt Lithium Ion battery'In research related to the Chevy Volt battery fire risk, we learned that in targeted National Highway Traffic Safety Administration testing intended to duplicate a situation in which a Volt caught fire while parked at a NHTSA testing center in Wisconsin three weeks after a side-impact crash test May 12, one car had no problems, one battery fire started after seven days, one battery had sparks and smoke after it was turned over, but no instances of an actual fire. The problem in the Volt case seems NOT to be the chemistry or the format of the batteries themselves, but the possibility that leaking coolant could cause a short, possibly leading to a fire. Outside of their own testing, NHTSA noted that there are no known "real-world" instances of battery problems causing fires to erupt after a driver crashes a Volt, and added that "Volt owners who have not been in a serious crash do not have reason for concern."

Reply  Post New Thread