Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

92 Civic CX: Burns Oil, What is Best Option for MPG?

Hey Guys,
I have a 92 Civic CX D15B8 which is burning oil pretty fast, usually when accelerating to higher RPM.
I changed valve seals but it continues to eat oil. I believe my Piston Rings are to blame. My goal is the best MPG possible, I got burned on sale but now want to make the best of it.

I was curious what would be my best value for the money.
Do I get a used Engine, JDM Engine, Rebuild or a Swap (d15b7?) or other?

I have also thought about selling it and buying a VX or an HX, what would you guys do?
Thanks guys I really appreciate it, I feel guilty everytime i see it smoking from my rearview.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ion-29468.html

That, or try to find a D15Z1 (lean burn engine) and swap that in, but good luck finding the VX harness unless you get really lucky. The above engine is definitely your best bet.

[Edit]: I didn't see it comes with a transmission too, that's a steal man, get on it.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
That, or try to find a D15Z1 (lean burn engine) and swap that in, but good luck finding the VX harness unless you get really lucky. The above engine is definitely your best bet.
[Edit]: I didn't see it comes with a transmission too, that's a steal man, get on it.
Thanks man I did see that late last night, do I need the tranny though?
Also I thought I could not use a d15z1 since its a 16 valve while mine is an 8 valve, also what about the whole vtec connection, i believe mine is SOHC.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannabinoid View Post
Also I thought I could not use a d15z1 since its a 16 valve while mine is an 8 valve, also what about the whole vtec connection, i believe mine is SOHC.
You would do a complete engine/wire harness swap. Like I said finding the wire harness and everything probably isn't worth the trouble.

Anyway, about the engine, for 400$? Who cares? That's 200$ for the engine and 200 for the transmission. When yours goes, you will have another right there to slap on!

Old 10-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannabinoid View Post
The number of valves inside the engine will not affect how it mounts or runs in your engine bay, the difficulty will be in the wiring. D15Z1 is an amazing engine but getting the wiring right will be a nightmare.

VTEC is a solenoid-operated mechanism that changes the valve lift, which allows for an engine to be optimized for both low- and high-RPM. It's typically not included in the cheaper engines.

All D-series engines are SOHC.

I agree with Balto's suggestion. If you replace it with the same engine, you won't have to change the ECU out or mess with any wiring. A spare transmission is nice to have, and you could always sell it.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
I'm getting mid to high 40's hwy out of a (junkyard afaik) D16Y7, so just replace it with stock.

And sell the spare transmission to me! I've been dreaming of an Si/CX frankenstein trans for the best of both worlds.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
I averaged low 40's mpg in the winter to high 40's in the summer with an occasional low 50's on an all-interstate 55 to 60 mph tank in my 92 CX with its original engine with just normal driving and no aeromods.

Greasemonkee installed the VX engine in my car and I believe he just added the additional wiring inputs required by the VTEC engine rather than replacing the entire CX harness. You could PM him for details. To convert to the D15Z1 engine, in addition to the engine and its changes in wiring, you will require a VX ECU and a VX EGR control box.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
The number of valves inside the engine will not affect how it mounts or runs in your engine bay, the difficulty will be in the wiring. D15Z1 is an amazing engine but getting the wiring right will be a nightmare.

VTEC is a solenoid-operated mechanism that changes the valve lift, which allows for an engine to be optimized for both low- and high-RPM. It's typically not included in the cheaper engines.

All D-series engines are SOHC.

I agree with Balto's suggestion. If you replace it with the same engine, you won't have to change the ECU out or mess with any wiring. A spare transmission is nice to have, and you could always sell it.
Thank you for clarifying. So it would need Wiring harness, ecu, egr control box. Seems like it might be difficult to source all for the d15z1, i know a guy selling one but he doesnt have harness, i believe he added to his existing harness. Does the solenoid operated mechanism also have to be sourced?

Yea i though just replacing same engine but wanted to run it through you guys, learn something new everyday.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I'm getting mid to high 40's hwy out of a (junkyard afaik) D16Y7, so just replace it with stock.

And sell the spare transmission to me! I've been dreaming of an Si/CX frankenstein trans for the best of both worlds.
LOL will let you know. You put a d16y7 into what vehicle?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
I averaged low 40's mpg in the winter to high 40's in the summer with an occasional low 50's on an all-interstate 55 to 60 mph tank in my 92 CX with its original engine with just normal driving and no aeromods.

Greasemonkee installed the VX engine in my car and I believe he just added the additional wiring inputs required by the VTEC engine rather than replacing the entire CX harness. You could PM him for details. To convert to the D15Z1 engine, in addition to the engine and its changes in wiring, you will require a VX ECU and a VX EGR control box.
That's excellent MPG.
Yes would love to contact him, I'll see if I can find him around here.
So if I dont have EGR & ECU, does anyone have part numbers on these?

Reply  Post New Thread