EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   EOC miles per tank (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eoc-miles-per-tank-3123.html)

dwendt1978 06-16-2008 10:13 PM

EOC miles per tank

How many EOC miles do you guys get per tank. I figured if you got around 50 that was good. How many does it take to really boost your mileage. The 16.6 I've gone already is at 60 mph, I kill the motor and let it coast to 15 mph which usually nets me about .5 miles to 1 mile at a time.

So far if gone 16.6 EOC to 45 miles with engine running.

MetroMPG 06-16-2008 10:17 PM

When I tested Engine Off Coasting against idling while coasting in strictly sub/urban type driving, I saw 12.9% better fuel economy using EOC. The engine was off for 3.9 km of the 9.7 total, or 40% of the distance travelled.

Coasting experiment: engine off VS. engine idling

ihatejoefitz 06-16-2008 10:25 PM

I turn my car completely off when eocing. The odometer doesn't turn this way but it is the most energy efficient method.

I would guess that I do it for 12-15 miles for every 160 miles of engine on driving.

mhmitszach 06-17-2008 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatejoefitz (Post 35425)
I turn my car completely off when eocing. The odometer doesn't turn this way but it is the most energy efficient method.

I would guess that I do it for 12-15 miles for every 160 miles of engine on driving.

You realize thats terribly unsafe? No airbags.

Not to mention, how can you justify any fuel savings if your odometer isn't moving. I mean really, your numbers are going to be much much lower than real mpg.

ihatejoefitz 06-17-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhmitszach (Post 35465)
You realize thats terribly unsafe? No airbags.

Not to mention, how can you justify any fuel savings if your odometer isn't moving. I mean really, your numbers are going to be much much lower than real mpg.

As far as safety goes, airbags are at the bottom of the list of things to worry about in my '72.:D

AnDoireman 06-17-2008 07:21 AM

The thing I'd be more concerned about are your brake lights with the electrics off.

rocket 06-17-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnDoireman (Post 35508)
The thing I'd be more concerned about are your brake lights with the electrics off.

brakes lights are not tied to the ignition ckt; they ALWAYS work. Try it when you go to start your car next. before putting the key in, step on your brakes and look for the reflection or glow of the lights. turn signals, on the other hand, are will not work w/o the key in run

Back on topic: i EOC for about 8 miles of my 50 mile round-trip to work.

elhigh 06-17-2008 08:58 AM

Can you just let the engine die, then switch back to IGN ON? That'd fire the odometer back up, and the airbags and turn signals would be active (though I do my EOC on long straightaways, and hold the right lane).

ebacherville 06-17-2008 09:42 AM

wish i could EOC more, but im on single lane roads so I try to keep up to the speed limits here.. If i had a dual lane hiway id be accelerating to the speed limit then EOCing to 10mph below then accelerate back again then EOC to 10 under.. the entire time .. However here if i did that id be ran over in the CRX for impeding traffic .. \

Heck, today accelerating to the 55mph speed limit a tahoe accelerated past me at 50mph to get around me.. it was a co worker.. on the road to work.. she got to her parking spot 10 seconds before I did and I was doing the speed limit, not hard accelerating, and EOCing in that 5 mile stretch where she passed me from a stop sign..

Literally I pulled into works parking lot and she was still gassing it around the parking lot to find that "primo spot".. I rolled in and coasted up to my parking spot near the rear of the lot with very few other cars.. I was out of my car and walking before she got out of her SUV. All I can think while walking into work is 15mpg vs 47mpg.. and I'm walking into work before she is.. why did you pass me again?

MetroMPG 06-17-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacherville (Post 35562)
wish i could EOC more, but im on single lane roads so I try to keep up to the speed limits here.. If i had a dual lane hiway id be accelerating to the speed limit then EOCing to 10mph below then accelerate back again then EOC to 10 under..

Technically you're describing Pulse & Glide, not EOC.

EOC is simply occasionally coasting up to stops or turns, or down grades. P&G is a repeated cycle out on the "open road", as you describe. It's a fine distinction.