EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   EOC at night. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eoc-night-7169.html)

tbone 02-18-2009 11:39 PM

EOC at night.

I was just wondering if you guys EOC at night. I just wonder if it will wear out my battery faster having the lights on and EOC. I can still see just fine but the lights do get dim while I EOC. Thoughts?
Thanks

taco 02-19-2009 01:02 AM

i have xenon projectors from a boxter s.
so they will stay at the same brightness down till about 9 volts.
i have never seen my battery go under 11.5 volts, even with the radio wide open, m 250watt amp, 10 sub, and all lights.

longest eoc is about 3miles.

MetroMPG 02-19-2009 07:01 AM

Any time you draw energy from a lead acid battery and then recharge it, you shorten its life compared to a battery that is always supported by an alternator. This is especially true for conventional starting batteries which aren't really designed for anything other than shallow discharge/recharge cycles (eg. starting the car).

How much you shorten its life with the engine off depends on how long you drain it down, and under what size of load.

wagonman76 02-19-2009 12:36 PM

The lights dim because they are running off battery voltage instead of alternator voltage (which has to be higher than battery voltage to keep the battery charged). I would think that sub-freezing start every morning for 5 months out of the year would be much worse on your battery than leaving your lights on for the short EOC period. My batteries still last 4 years in this climate.

Ryland 02-19-2009 05:22 PM

just make sure your voltage doesn't drop below 80% charge, do a search on this web site and you should be able to find the charge for % of charge.

trikkonceptz 02-20-2009 03:26 PM

I EOC at night with no ill effect other than my dash lights blinking on restart. I notice my headlights flicker, but they do not dim ...

whokilledthejams 02-20-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz (Post 88756)
I EOC at night with no ill effect other than my dash lights blinking on restart. I notice my headlights flicker, but they do not dim ...

I get the same effect in my xB. I never get to EOC for more than about 3/4 of a mile a stretch, though, so I haven't run into any problems.

Ryland 02-20-2009 08:48 PM

If I remember correctly head lights are 55 to 65 watts each, ecu is around 60 watts, another 60 watts of misc bulbs comes to 250 watts or 20.8 amps drawing of what in the case of my civic is a 45amp hour battery that is designed to power the starter that is nearly 120 amps for up to 10 seconds (large draws are harder on the battery then smaller loads) and my longest engine off coast was exactly 2 miles lasting nearly 3 minutes, 3 minutes with a 20 amp load on my battery is not something I would worry about unless I was to stop and park my car at the end, every single time.

dcb 02-20-2009 08:52 PM

In my case, I use deep cycle batteries ($50 marine style), and my stick shift cars are small enough to bump start with one hand should it get too low, so no real concerns here.

I used to worry about it when I had an automatic though.