EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   EOC switch and Bridgestone B381's= woohoo (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eoc-switch-bridgestone-b381s-woohoo-24916.html)

dohcsvt 02-11-2013 09:37 PM

EOC switch and Bridgestone B381's= woohoo

I installed a new set of bridgestone B381's and an engine off coasting switch in my car. I previously had the following mods
Removed the A/C and Power steering belt.
Installed a partial grill block.
Installed cruise control sourced from a junkyard.
installed lower valance made of yard edging
Side gapped and indexed plugs
Synthetic fluids in tranny and engine
On my way to work today I averaged 47MPG, which is by far the best FE ever in this vehicle. I am hoping to do better, but need some input.

Will playing with engine coolant temperatue help with FE?
Does fooling the CPU by pulling the O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow stream really help?
How about the IAT sensor with a resistor mod?

Any input will be appreciated.
Ottis

gone-ot 02-11-2013 09:54 PM

HOTTER coolant = better FE, but problematic during HOT summer weather.

COOLER coolant = better HP, but problematic for precise A/F-ratio (open-loop) control.

bestclimb 02-11-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dohcsvt (Post 356052)
I installed a new set of bridgestone B381's and an engine off coasting switch in my car. I previously had the following mods
Removed the A/C and Power steering belt.
Installed a partial grill block.
Installed cruise control sourced from a junkyard.
installed lower valance made of yard edging
Side gapped and indexed plugs
Synthetic fluids in tranny and engine
On my way to work today I averaged 47MPG, which is by far the best FE ever in this vehicle. I am hoping to do better, but need some input.

Will playing with engine coolant temperatue help with FE?
Does fooling the CPU by pulling the O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow stream really help?
How about the IAT sensor with a resistor mod?

Any input will be appreciated.
Ottis

This site has some information on a coolant sensor mod, and I seem to remember some other small signal mods.

By pulling the O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow the computer will sense a lean condition, to correct for this it will add fuel. Seeing no change in the O2 values after increasing the fuel in the mixture, it will disregard the O2 sensor, throw a code and revert to running on the map, which is less efficient.

baldlobo 02-12-2013 02:35 AM

if you do anything to the o2 sensor; it will run in limp home mode, which means it'll run off a specific program that is ment to be used to get you to a garage; it will run rich and can cause problems with your cat.

the same can go for resistor mods

JRMichler 02-12-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dohcsvt (Post 356052)

You are off to a very good start. I suggest fine tuning the grille block - cover too much, then open up just enough to keep the engine from overheating. Tire pressures to max sidewall. Wheel covers. Belly pan if you feel ambitious. Get good with the EOC switch.

Really work the DWB and DWL. When you stop using the cruise control because you get better mileage driving manually, then you are ready to start learning DWL.

But don't waste time trying to redesign the fuel delivery system.

Does your car have the same engine as the base 1995 Neon? If so, that engine could benefit from a camshaft designed for efficiency at lower RPM.