EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   EOM Toyo A20 tires... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/eom-toyo-a20-tires-13682.html)

ChopsQube 06-25-2010 10:08 PM

EOM Toyo A20 tires...

My Cube came with Toyo A20 tires (195/60-15) and I can not find anything about them online. I remember reading on Nissan's site a while back that these were supposed to be LRR tires, but now that information is not on there. They have a max sidewall psi of 51 and I have them up at 50psi.

Are these some kind of Japan spec tires?

Does anyone know anything about them?

How do they compare to common LRR tires?

Many thanks in advance.

SVOboy 06-26-2010 12:42 AM

I couldn't find anything on the Toyo site, so I'm going to try contacting the company through their PR people to see if I can get an answer from someone in the know.

taco 06-26-2010 04:54 PM

u like your cube, i has a white s for about a month. rental car, mountainous four lane at 70 got like 30 mpg, managed 41 mpg on a couple tanks while going to work.

ChopsQube 06-29-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 180895)
I couldn't find anything on the Toyo site, so I'm going to try contacting the company through their PR people to see if I can get an answer from someone in the know.

That would be great if you get some info. They seem like pretty good tires. They're quiet, smooth, grip good in the corners and seem to roll pretty easily when "pumped" up. In fact, I just bumped the fronts up to 56psi and the rears to 54psi just to see if there's any improvements to be noticed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by taco (Post 180983)
u like your cube, i has a white s for about a month. rental car, mountainous four lane at 70 got like 30 mpg, managed 41 mpg on a couple tanks while going to work.

Yeah, I do. The only thing that I don't like about it is the erratic digital gas gauge. IOW, I can fill up and drive 50 miles and lose 1 bar on the gauge. But when I get in it to leave 8 hours later, the gauge mysteriously looses two more bars! Either that, or the darn thing doesn't read "full" right after filling up. It's extremely annoying, and guess what?... The dealership and techs have no clue as to what's wrong. They all claim everything is perfect!

Other than that, I really do like my Cube. Though with the manual 6-speed, I'm just now approaching/exceeding the MPG #'s that the auto's are rated at.

MadisonMPG 06-29-2010 07:37 PM

Just learn by the mileage, not the gauge.

cfg83 06-29-2010 08:51 PM

ChopsQube -

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopsQube (Post 181517)

Yeah, I do. The only thing that I don't like about it is the erratic digital gas gauge. IOW, I can fill up and drive 50 miles and lose 1 bar on the gauge. But when I get in it to leave 8 hours later, the gauge mysteriously looses two more bars! Either that, or the darn thing doesn't read "full" right after filling up. It's extremely annoying, and guess what?... The dealership and techs have no clue as to what's wrong. They all claim everything is perfect!

Other than that, I really do like my Cube. Though with the manual 6-speed, I'm just now approaching/exceeding the MPG #'s that the auto's are rated at.

Sounds cube-centric. My gauge is "normal crazy" in that it reads different depending on the slope. I like driving uphill because the gauge goes up ... until I look at my instant MPG on my Scangauge.

Is there a "cubist" site you can join and/or are already a member of? Here are two that I know *nothing* about :

Cube Talk - Nissan Cube Car Forums
Cube Forum

CarloSW2

ChopsQube 06-29-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 181534)
ChopsQube -

Sounds cube-centric. My gauge is "normal crazy" in that it reads different depending on the slope. I like driving uphill because the gauge goes up ... until I look at my instant MPG on my Scangauge.

Is there a "cubist" site you can join and/or are already a member of? Here are two that I know *nothing* about :

Cube Talk - Nissan Cube Car Forums
Cube Forum

CarloSW2

As I'm moving along, hills/slopes don't bother the gauge. The only time they upset the gauge is when it's parked on one facing up the hill. If I park with the rear facing up the hill, the gauge doesn't move.

I belong to both those forums listed. The NicoClub site for the Cube is pretty inactive. NissanCubeLife is pretty good though and has a lot of great info. There are many threads about flaky gas gauges and not any real fixes.

RobertSmalls 06-29-2010 11:21 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not broken. The engineer's intent is for the gauge to manage your perceptions and behavior. The top half of the gauge's swing might represent 2/3 of the tank. Users who fill when the tank gets to half may think their car is very efficient to get 250mi on half a tank.

The gauge's behavior at the bottom is more important for managing user behavior. I never found the bottom of my Subaru's fuel tank, but the needle would move past E for another 3/16ths of a tank indicated without running dry. That gauge was very non-linear throughout its entire range.

Similarly, my Insight's (and cell phone's) battery SoC gauge lies notoriously to manage my perceptions. As long as its lies are consistent, you learn to live with it.

And yes, your car's ability to measure its fuel level is somewhat limited. It usually relies on a float attached to the fuel pump: fuel level at a single point in the tank, and not always the center of the tank, either.

ChopsQube 06-30-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 181549)
I'm pretty sure it's not broken. The engineer's intent is for the gauge to manage your perceptions and behavior. The top half of the gauge's swing might represent 2/3 of the tank. Users who fill when the tank gets to half may think their car is very efficient to get 250mi on half a tank.

The gauge's behavior at the bottom is more important for managing user behavior. I never found the bottom of my Subaru's fuel tank, but the needle would move past E for another 3/16ths of a tank indicated without running dry. That gauge was very non-linear throughout its entire range.

Similarly, my Insight's (and cell phone's) battery SoC gauge lies notoriously to manage my perceptions. As long as its lies are consistent, you learn to live with it.

And yes, your car's ability to measure its fuel level is somewhat limited. It usually relies on a float attached to the fuel pump: fuel level at a single point in the tank, and not always the center of the tank, either.

I realize all of that and am not questioning that. As far as that is concerned, the gauge does in fact move fairly linear. The thing I'm complaining about is the gauge dropping one to two bars just from being parked for a few hours on level ground. It only does this in the first 3 bars of the gauge. After that, it's fine, but like right now it's reading that the tank is down almost by a 0.25 at less than 60 miles which I know for a fact is not accurate at all. If the tank was truly that low, I'd be closer to 85-90 miles.

Example... When I got home last night, I had exactly 50 miles on this tank and the gas gauge had dropped ONLY one bar from full which is normal. I got up this morning to take my girlfriend to work, go out and start up the car only to find that the gauge dropped 2 more bars for absolutely no reason whatsoever. And yes, I was parked on level ground as I always am.

The fuel sending unit has been replaced twice and the same exact results every time. Also, the dealership pulled all three units (they saved the first two), put them all on the bench and measured them throughout their entire operating range. All three measured the same! Who knows... Apparently Nissan doesn't.

Anyway, I didn't mean to take my own thread off topic. LOL