EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Episode V: The Insight Strikes Back (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/episode-v-insight-strikes-back-3146.html)

SVOboy 06-17-2008 05:44 PM

Episode V: The Insight Strikes Back

Well, I'm still sad I've lost my ep IV disc, but that aside...

ABG

Quote:

With the success that Toyota has had with its Prius hybrid sedan, you could be forgiven for forgetting that Honda actually beat them to market here in the states with the Insight. For whatever reason, though, the Insight never became the green-bearer that Honda had hoped. Still, the name is not associated with any negativity, so Honda might be considering reviving it for its upcoming dedicated hybrid model. We applaud this idea and hope it turns out to be more than just a rumor.

Honda's new hybrid model should more directly compete with the Prius as it will be sport a four-door body style and be easily identifiable as a green vehicle. Expected to use a 1.3 liter engine along with the Integrated Motor Assist which Honda uses for all of its hybrids, early estimates for fuel mileage are in the 50-55 mile per gallon range. Much of the structure is said to be derived from the Civic, which could account for its expected price of under $19,000. Also expected are nickel metal hydride batteries which would help keep pricing low. With rumors such as these, we'll be hard pressed to wait until its expected debut at next year's Detroit Auto Show, which, incidentally, is when Toyota will unveil its next-gen Prius. Game on.

ebacherville 06-17-2008 06:54 PM

thats awesome especially if they can beat toyota for priceing, that makes the competition start to drive prices down..

SVOboy 06-17-2008 06:55 PM

The honda hybrid system is cheaper, so it'd definitely possible, I would say

TheDon 06-17-2008 06:58 PM

If they do bring back the insight they could probably improve upon it somehow.

cbergeron 06-17-2008 07:46 PM

Awesome! I'd love to see this happen. 2009 is going to be a landmark year for alternative fuel vehicles/hybrids. It's going to be a great year!

Red 06-17-2008 09:03 PM

Sweet. The Insight Returns! Its great that they can pull the same FE numbers out of a sedan version as they could out of the coupe.

Daox 06-17-2008 09:46 PM

It would be amazing to see the Insight come back. It really is the holy grail of hypermiling. However, I'd imaging the new model will be hampered without the use of lean burn (unless they can keep NOx emissions down somehow). None the less, I'd like to see it come back.

MetroMPG 06-17-2008 11:01 PM

Honda needs a true EV mode in its IMA system, or they might as well not bother. :)

jamesqf 06-18-2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 35827)
Honda needs a true EV mode in its IMA system, or they might as well not bother. :)

Why? I have an Insight, and as far as I can tell, a pure EV mode would be pretty pointless, since almost all my driving is on highways. It's also not worth much unless the car is a plug-in hybrid: otherwise all the energy is still coming from the gas tank.

Same applies to making a 4/5 seat version of the Insight. It'd be good for Honda to build a dedicated sedan/van hybrid for those that need those kinds of vehicles, but the Insight gets a lot of its fuel economy from being a small, light 2-seat car. Indeed, that's why I bought mine: I wanted a 2-seat hatchback to replace my CRX. The hybrid part just came along for the ride :-) We need more choices in the really small, efficient (& fun) class for those of us who don't have to haul around 2.4 kids.

Daox 06-18-2008 03:35 PM

Not everyone just tools along down the highway. Some people are stuck in city traffic all day long. For them, ev only mode results in gigantic FE gains.