Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Newbie to the field, how hard to build an EV

While I have my learner's permit, I am not allowed to drive alone. This gives me extra time (approximately 1 year) to build a car from scratch. While most young people (in Australia at least) build up old Australian or Japanese cars with a high-powered fuel-guzzling engine, whether large or small. I want to have a go with something different, an electric vehicle. While Australia still uses coal power, an EV would still emit less carbon dioxide than a regular, petrol-powered car.

I'm curious as to how difficult it would be to convert a car, for a first-time modifier, especially one who has never really worked on a car, apart from checking oil and tyre pressure, and whether it would be a good project for a full-time student, with all assignments and homework to be done.

Thanks
bigdude101

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
You can buy full kits and partial kits, or you can build everything your self, so it really comes down to how much you want to learn and do your self balanced with how much you want to, or can afford to spend.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I would suggest reading the following thread in the "Fossil Free Fuels" section of this forum:

MetroMPG's Project Forkenswift
Bens Electro-Metro
Paul and Sabrina's Super Beetle

Its a lot of reading (40+ pages each thread), but id say its worth it.

As said above - It comes down to cost and time. Id have built one by now but im also a student, and im broke too!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
And there's a Coles Notes summary of those three builds in this shorter blog series:

It’s a Trend! 3 Dirt Cheap DIY Electric Cars | Hypermiling, Fuel Economy, and EcoModding News - EcoModder.com

Another option for cutting your teeth on EVs is to start smaller - add electric drive to a bicycle, or do up a motorbike (if you find that interesting). Ben - Electro Metro guy - started by converting a motorbike which he used regularly to run errands once built.

Are there any EV groups in your area? If so, I'd also recommend meeting up with them.

Darin
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Misanthropologist

BORK! - '89 Volvo 240 DL Wagon
90 day: 21.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude101 View Post
I'm curious as to how difficult it would be to convert a car, for a first-time modifier, especially one who has never really worked on a car, apart from checking oil and tyre pressure, and whether it would be a good project for a full-time student, with all assignments and homework to be done.
Does your school have any shop classes you could enroll in, or have you taken any yet?
Because if you have even basic experience with machining and using tools then you'll have far fewer hurdles to get over. You are going to be working with steel, aluminum, and plywood usually. Being able to make and modify parts yourself as needed will save you a great deal of time, effort and money.

The rest really depends on the vehicle you are trying to convert. Certain makes/models are just a huge pain to work on.

Reply  Post New Thread