EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   EV news all over; but where are new ones? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ev-news-all-over-but-where-new-ones-6739.html)

Christopher Jordan 01-11-2009 11:54 PM

EV news all over; but where are new ones?

All the concepts, auto shows, renderings. Sheesh! Pie in the sky? I think I saw an article in Wired about Lotus making its own Tesla in March.

Intrigued 01-12-2009 08:48 PM

My dollar says that Detroit is holding its collective breath, just hoping the EVs will take off! Many seem to be waiting for better availability of quality lithium cells, and "just one more" step in tech advancements.

Personally, I can't wait until the Aptera goes nationwide... ought to be about the time I'm out of college and have a decent job... :-)

Christopher Jordan 01-12-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intrigued (Post 82890)
Many seem to waiting for better availability of quality lithium cells, and "just one more" step in tech advancements.

Last week the 36V E-Pod battery died. The battery now in there is not made any more, meaning "different" box and wiring (spelled $$$$time$$$$!). A 36V lithium battery is available *right now* for only $800.00.

Funeral is Wednesday. :D RIP E-Pod. Back to being a plain old Pod. :turtle: (I am praying for more tech advancements!)

Intrigued 01-12-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan (Post 82902)
A 36V lithium battery is available *right now* for only $800.00.
(I am praying for more tech advancements!)

<Hand over heart for prayer...>

Do your tech advancements yourself:
Get a handful of old rejected laptop batteries (eBay), then take out the cells, wire together the good ones, and build a new battery yourself! :D

MetroMPG 01-13-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan (Post 82773)
Sheesh! Pie in the sky?

I smell a bandwagon, painted green!

Off the top of my head, here's who has made EV announcements of "test vehicles" available to fleets or for lease to individuals... or at the least concepts with vague promises to produce them.

All of this within the last, say 3 or 4 months at most:

GM
Chrysler
Ford
BMW
Mini
Smart
Lotus
Nissan
Mitsubishi
Toyota

...not to mention several more European manufacturers & engineering houses.

The only one who hasn't seen fit to throw themselves on the bandwagon has been Honda. Although they say they're going to do a motorcycle, not a car.

captainslug 01-13-2009 02:31 PM

I'm not inclined to believe or anticipate anything from any of the big companies. They've made and not kept too many relevant promises already.
Many of them have already made, produced, canceled, and then recalled perfectly functional EVs. It's not like it's unknown territory, and they've fielded other vehicles in significantly less time.

"Coming in [2 years from now]" to me now translates to "don't expect to see it available from us anytime soon"

Christopher Jordan 01-13-2009 03:23 PM

I just "retired" my E-Pod. That City-EL is a terrific older EV: '90 to '93. Germany still makes them- 36 or 48 volt, but I don't know if they are ever returning.

captainslug 01-13-2009 04:01 PM

Cadillac just announced their own Volt competitor.

Cadillac Converj Extended-Range Electric Vehicle | GM-VOLT : Chevy Volt Electric Car Site