EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   For every 5 ecomodders... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/every-5-ecomodders-10866.html)

alohaspirit 11-04-2009 06:45 PM

For every 5 ecomodders...

theres someone like this

She does 15 loads of laundry each week
(shes married with no kids)

clicky poll - how often do you wash towels?

to each their own, but it makes me a little sad since I conserve water so actively

vtec-e 11-04-2009 07:12 PM

Ah yeah, i give em a scald in front of the stove and they're good to go! Gotta keep the tumble dryer use to a minimum right? And some bacteria is ok too.....builds up the immune system. That could be taken as sarcasm but i'm serious. I grew up on a farm and pretty much swam in cow poo. Never met my family doctor. Well, there was this one time when my home made go-kart didn't go too well....or rather, stop too well... heh!
But yeah, a lot of people get paranoid about washing clothes. I'm constantly putting the kids clothes back on the shelf for use the next day, even if there is a little dirt on there. Dotie Pet is always giving out over it. And even with all my efforts there is a ton of washing being done every day. Whats the solution?

ollie

Frank Lee 11-04-2009 08:36 PM

The solution is to disable the wash machine.

I wear clothes multiple times before they hit the wash. I don't stink either. I have grubby work clothes for when I'm working, and decent clothes for making appearances in society.

Clothes don't get that filthy in one day. "Bacteria" or whatever cooties these people freak out over, are irrelevant unless you are working in the AIDS unit at the hospital.

I think not washing and especially not putting clothes through the dryer so much very very much extends their lives. All that lint in the dryer screen is, well, your fabric.

Later in the thread mrsbooboo reveals that she's nucking futs.

I get the same feeling re: for every 5 ecomodders... every time I'm out and about. No... make that every time I'm conscious, as I can hear the madness outside from 5am-1am M-F before I even get out of bed. For every 1 ecomodder there are 1,000,000 *******s out there rippin' it up like there's no tomorrow.

alohaspirit 11-04-2009 09:12 PM

tell me about it

i do maybe 3 loads/week and i re-use clothes like the rest of us

i dont stink either and i even go gym 3-4x a week

our living space is rather small so we dont air dry as much as we want

sadly, its on our wish list

MadisonMPG 11-04-2009 11:08 PM

Well, I'm sorry, but I qualify as a person that washes their clothes every time I wear them. Well, that is not exactly true. I wash my shirts every time I wear them. I wash my pants once a week. I smell if I don't though.

Off topic, my breath smells bad when I brush my teeth, but smells good when I don't. What's up with that?

Frank Lee 11-04-2009 11:14 PM

That meat flavored toothpaste is for CATS.

newhavenpatriot 11-05-2009 12:03 AM

I usually never type this, but this situation warrants an OMG... 15 loads of laundry A WEEK?? I wear all my jeans twice before I wash them, and I wind up doing like two loads of laundry every week and a half or so. And I use my towel for two weeks at a time, since you're clean when you use a towel. I don't wash it until it starts smelling bad.

Christ 11-05-2009 12:10 AM

You probably have gingivitis. The sugar in the toothpaste is feeding the bacteria in your mouth, which then produce gasses that make your breath smell unpleasant. The cure is to rinse with baking soda/water or peroxide twice a day for a week, and keep brushing regularly.

My teeth are all but gone, unfortunately, I didn't find out that I had calcification problems until it was too late to take care of it. The calcium in my blood literally burned the enamel off my teeth, making my brushing efforts essentially futile. I've since stopped even bothering (years ago) and just rinse once in awhile with Bacardi 151 and cinnamon/nutmeg or use some peroxide and then follow it with a good chew on a cinnamon stick.

There are many days I don't do anything that would require that I actually take a shower, so unless I feel like getting wet, I just wash up before bed time.

Often, in a week, I don't get a full load of laundry. My wife doesn't either, although we do the laundry once a week, full load or not, and she separates our clothes because mine are often very dirty/greasy. I usually grab a pair of "dirty pants" and wear them all week, and then I have one or two pairs of "clean" pants that I also wear. All my clothes are basically the same, so noone really ever notices anyway. My under shirts only get worn again if I didn't sweat in them noticeably, or if I didn't wear them for very long. Socks get changed every day, if not twice a day. I hate wet feet, and survival training kinda drilled clean/dry socks into my head. I stopped wearing skivvies several years ago because I was lazy and didn't want to do more laundry than I had to, not to mention saving the cost of replacement, since those, I would buy new. I don't think I've bought new clothes in years. I always get used clothes from places like the Salvation Army Thrift Store. It's cheaper, and they're every bit as good.

The cloth diapers get washed as a half load once a day, so that uses alot of water, but not nearly as much as would be used to make/ship/market/sell/buy the equivalent amount of disposables. They soak in water/soap/borax solution from the time they're taken off, and that gets dumped into the washer with the diapers, because there's nothing wrong w/ the water/soap that's in the bucket. The washer then doesn't have to fill up as much (5 gallons less per load).

I use a dryer for my clothes, because I don't like the way they feel after being dried outside. Often, I don't like the smell either. As few clothes as we use, it shouldn't really be a problem, though. I have been known to hang clothes outside during the winter, though. They dry fairly quickly because the air is usually quite dry during the winter.

Bicycle Bob 11-05-2009 12:52 AM

I have a small washer, and do less than a load a week. Waterless hand cleaner is good for greasy spots, but I don't know how it compares to the official products. I may be clean when I use the towels, but they do accumulate dead skin. When laundry will freeze outdoors, I hang it up inside because the house needs the humidity. I put the shirts and pants on hangers while wet, and move them to the closet when dry. Experts say that the fewest minutes go into drying when clothes are loosely piled on a drying rack and stirred occasionally.

Frank Lee 11-05-2009 12:58 AM

I too don't like laundry that dries cardboard stiff on the line. So I put it all on the line anyway until there's just a very little bit of moisture left, then toss it all in the dryer. The extra handling is hardly any extra work, the dryer fluffs it all up, and the dryer doesn't have to run very long.