EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   EVs built in Spokane WA (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/evs-built-spokane-wa-3909.html)

justpassntime 07-18-2008 02:56 PM

EVs built in Spokane WA

1 Attachment(s)
The place where I work is next to a body shop and they have been working on several of these.

From what the guys at the shop told me the are just under $6000, get 80 miles on a single charge, 2 hr to recharge, 0-60 in 4 sec., 1/4 mile in 12 sec. Made of carbon fiber.

Another site.

Commuter Cars

SuperTrooper 07-18-2008 03:35 PM

I'm confused. :confused: Is the place next door the manufacturer of Commmuter Cars or something else? Maybe they are charging $6000 to assemble the $108K kits?

justpassntime 07-18-2008 04:15 PM

The body shop is next to something else.

The info I had was just what the guys in the body shop told me. They have been doing the paint work because no one wants to do the body work on carbon fiber.

I know I have seen several on the road. I think if you ever got hit in one it would be like kicking a beer can or football.

If the prices are correct on the website this would be a tremendous amount of money to spend for a glorified golf cart. I was thinking that some of the price data may be out of date. Will do some more checking. The $6000 price would be more reasonable.

Randy 07-18-2008 04:32 PM

Commuter Cars has been around a long time. The idea of half-sized cars is pretty neat, but they've been stuck where they're at for years now. Gas at $4 could generate some investment, but they're still a ways from production, to put it mildly.

Cars are just really expensive without mass production, which takes huge amounts of investment and some serious design limitations (only injection-molded plastic or pressed sheet steel is cheap enough). I'd like to have more choices in cars, but I really doubt Commuter Cars, Obvio, Aptera, Tesla, or anybody else new is going to make it. Most likely they'll make a few cars then dry up and blow away.

SuperTrooper 07-18-2008 04:36 PM

I think $6K would be flat out impossible. The batts alone probably cost $3K. Even the projected $18K+ cost for the "reduced performance" model would be hard to hit unless they can streamline/automate production. The investors they are looking for want good returns on their money and the bottom level models won't have enough margin. I have a feeling that the $108K kits are just covering expenses. Expensive toys for people who've grown tired of $200K Maseratis. :rolleyes: OOOOH! George Clooney has one! I better buy one too!

justpassntime 07-19-2008 03:52 AM

There are a lot of them driving around in Spokane. What I meant by reasonable is that the common person could afford it. I know Clooney is big or supposed to be in the environmental stuff.

Would be interesting to see the shop where these are made. Will do more checking.

I wouldn't want one, they don't even look safe. I saw one going down I90 today going about 70.

frodus 07-19-2008 12:18 PM

I'd hate to be passing a tractor trailer on 90, or newport Hwy and have the gusy knock me over....

I'd be interested in stopping by the shop... I should call them. I don't live in Spokane anymore (portland), but it'd be cool to check out.

SatanicMechanic 07-21-2008 11:38 AM

I helped out with the prototype "Tango" many years ago. The car does have a roll cage. Rick Woodbury, the president of CommuterCars, would give anyone a tour with the car. Give him a call.