Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Scale Model wikispeed SGT01

New Project Sequel!

Well, actually a Pre-quel...

The original idea was to build a scale model (or mostly, as the title states) of the WIKISPEED SGT01 for my grandson. That thread is here http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post390682

I found out later that Weston is far more fond of TRUCKS than he is of cars ... so the project changed focus. I spent some time trying to figure out what portions of the frame would need revisions, and re-discovered that I don't know enough about how the frame goes together. I need to be more comfortable with the 'contract' between the suspension modules and the frame, the interior and the frame, and the motor module and the frame.

So I am building an accurate-as-I-can model of the SGT01 first. The thicknesses of the walls of the aluminum tube will not be accurate. I can get 0.125 wall, but not 0.0625. So I'm using what is available. AND the motor module uses 1.25 inch tube in the full sized version. I can get 0.625 inch tube but it is a special order. I'm not that patient and it is a minor change to a couple of dimensions .. so I'm using 0.75 instead.

That's this project.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
First Post

First posting was to be yesterday. I got home a bit late and could not get the posting done ...

The first picture shows 3 stacks of aluminum and a box of aluminum pieces.

The 4 lengths of 2 inch aluminum tube 60 inches long are the main or longitudinal beams for the car. Those are at the top of the first photo.

Below that in the middle is a smaller stack of 2 inch tube. There are 4 lengths of 20 inches each for the horizontal ladder pieces on the top and bottom of the car frame. That's the bottom of that stack.

On the top of that stack are 6 lengths of 6 inches each for the vertical ladder pieces on the sides of the car frame.

The box of 1.75 inch pieces on the left are a nice tight inside fit for the 2 inch tube (2 x 2 outside measurements with 0.125 wall makes an inside size of 1.75 inches). The long tubes will each have one of the 1 inch and one of the 0.75 inch width pieces, for a 1.75 x 1.75 'plug', at each location where the shorter tubes are joined to the long tubes. The 'plug' is bolted to the long tube, then the shorter tubes are slid onto the 'plug' and bolted to the plug. Plug-to-long tube, short tube-to-plug.

During the assembly process, I will be showing pictures and linking to youtube video.

A lot of drilling, 60 bolts, 60 nuts, and 120 washers later, the frame will be assembled square and plumb. At least, that's the plan. The Gopro (camera) will capture time lapse photos, my android phone will be used for some video and close-up pictures of measurements.

The right of the picture shows a stack of 0.75 inch aluminum tube that is cut to length to make the Motor Module for the scale car.

The second photo shows the 0.75 inch aluminum tube at the bottom, from one end

The third photo shows the box of short pieces and the longer tubes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0980a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	14246   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0981a.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	14247   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0982a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	14248  
Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update post for Jan 30

The testing of the bolted joints continues ... but I need to get the model started, so I can figure out what Weston's truck will look like, and finally what my full-size project will look like.

Was it really Dec 12 last time I posted?

The bolt-together joints for this model are complicated, but should be strong enough to hold a little kid, and maybe a big kid behind him I guess we'll see.

This is an update from Jan 30, when I was working on the bolted joint for this model. This video explains how the parts fit together.

Warning - video may cause drowsiness! Detailed descriptions .. may work as a cure for Insomnia .. you have been warned!

Demo Jan 30, 2014 Bolted Joint Update - YouTube
Old 03-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update for Feb 20, 2014

Here is a summary video of where the model build is as of Feb 20.

Weston Scale Model SGT01 Update 1 - YouTube

I have a whole bunch of videos on the details of the build, along with various things that I learned along the way. I sort of made them for myself to remember some of the points.

It would have been far more useful for me to put the useful sections together into a 5 minute video. But I didn't do that, for some strange reason.

If anyone is interested, the videos are here

Reply  Post New Thread