EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   External Public display of MPG (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/external-public-display-mpg-36568.html)

FormulaLosAngeles 06-20-2018 01:40 AM

External Public display of MPG

Any suggestions on how to display MPG publically externally with an LED type display? presumably as a mod to the aftermarket monitor systems described in this forum? My search terms have not detected a previous thread..

oil pan 4 06-20-2018 02:25 AM

That's a new one to me.

Stubby79 06-20-2018 03:06 AM

You might get pulled over for having an unusual light source like that.

Maybe a large LCD with a mild backlight for at night. Modify an MPGuino to use a larger display.

Daschicken 06-20-2018 11:17 AM

I have thought about something like this, but the problem may be that it could broadcast to the police that you are coasting in neutral, but I guess it depends on how much information you put on the screen.

teoman 06-20-2018 12:23 PM

who is your intended audience?

cars following or passers by while the car is parked?

It being written with a laser on the road behind the car would be pretty interesting.

There are some cheep LED 7 segment displays that you could use:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ulta....13339.90158.0

FormulaLosAngeles 06-20-2018 03:47 PM

to Stubby79/Daschicken I say, you are right, 'Attractive Nuisance' law suits are possible (I wish I could afford to sue billboard companys similarly) Possibly the OLED kindle displays would be ideal, with a moving average so it did not change so much so fast.
to Teoman is say: the purpose is to induce societal improvments, in general by competitive guilt or something... but also in a practical sense as advertising modified cars, so that our work at eccomodder becomes commercially viable, create jobs, gets better improvements faster cheaper..I am terrible at sales and great at design, so I am forcing my self to do sales.

teoman 06-21-2018 02:04 AM

So it does not have to be flashy. Just something on the back side windows. A kindle screen would be good. Or any old smartphone or tablet. (It does not even need to reflect the real mpg). Untill it gets stolen and you end up with a broken window.

I remember a ted talk from some time ago and they were trying to get people to use less energy at home.

They put flyers with peoples electricity bills.
First they tried something like: you can save the environment by using less electricity.

This had megligeable effect.

Then they put flyers saying: you could save this much money by using less electricity.
Minimal effect.

Finally they put flyers saying: did you know your neighbours are paying %10 less per month for electricity.

Which had a significant effect.

So I think you are on the right track. However, humanity is not on the right track. People could get jalous and vandalize your car.

teoman 06-21-2018 02:08 AM

Just printing a statistic and sticking it on the window could be the cheapest and safest option.

FormulaLosAngeles 06-24-2018 04:01 AM

yes teoman, you are right, the plain old sticker will likely do well enough to start. In the most grandiose of carefully planned fantasies, the display would be LED at LeMans and Baja1000.

teoman 06-27-2018 04:04 PM

I found the TED talk

https://www.ted.com/talks/alex_laske...-next#t-178078

Its between minute 2 and 3.

Ps: I must have changed the ted talk in my memory.

seifrob 06-27-2018 06:27 PM

I would say print Ecomodder Signature Image (like this one: http://ecomodder.com/forum/fe-graphs/sig5176a.png ) ten to twenty inches in size and put it on window or door of your car. it even does not need to be a foil if it is from inside (glued by white glue or even egg white)

iirc using any light device with moving picture is banned (at least here is) as is considered hazard. And average consumption usually settles down so you will be giving accurate info, to some extent, anyway

FormulaLosAngeles 07-09-2018 12:24 AM

Teoman: the ted talk seems to based on social conformity being the major force, regardless of logic. I have seen causation of this described by two overlapping theories.
1. People are more afraid of being a societal outcast than death.
2. People are busy and wait until an observable sample set have adopted some behavior without negative consequence, rather than trusting in their own information gathering.

Siefrob:
good to point out the possible application of anti advertizing regulations, and or anti distraction regulations.

An ecomdder thread has a led display:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...dder-1474.html

I was behind a tesla yesterday that said zero emmissions, and here are some links to car banners claiming 100mpg
+ for PEHV.
Autobeyours Salvage and Rebuildable Prius cars
Plug-In Hybrids (or Plugin Hybrids)
https://pluginamerica.org/vehicles/

I am unconvinced of the veracity of some of the PEHV and EV milage and zero emissions claims, it would be nice to use some alternate logic that I am investigating on another thread here:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ula-36569.html

teoman 07-09-2018 03:20 AM

Yes indeed. But that seems to be the only thing that motivates people.

That insight panel looks very good and stock.

I also wonder if people will understand the mpg unit? Would $/mile or $/month be more comprehensible?

ksa8907 07-09-2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoman (Post 573482)
Yes indeed. But that seems to be the only thing that motivates people.

That insight panel looks very good and stock.

I also wonder if people will understand the mpg unit? Would $/mile or $/month be more comprehensible?

I would say yes, most people I talk to don't even consider the $ impact of their 15mpg pickup but raise hell and complain when they have unexpected expenses.

I have acquaintance with a man who drives a dodge charger srt8 roughly 35,000 miles per year back and forth to work. Probably has no clue he is spending $500/month in fuel.

Tasmaniak 07-09-2018 07:46 PM

Coming back to the original question (but I think everyone has a valid point... in that it’s pointless)

A modified MPGuino code would easily do the job. Have it set to display your average and output to an LCD suction cupped to your back window would have the desired effect of what you’re after.

But again, I think a sticker saying saying something like “I’m getting xx% better fuel economy, ask EcoModder.com how” is probably more effective. But, it’s your car! Def, check local regulations regarding having moving displays though.

Is coasting in neutral illegal? I’d think coasting with ignition off might be but I don’t understand the reasoning behind neutral problems? Am Australian though, so I think upside down to most of you guys lol

seifrob 07-10-2018 03:38 AM

"uhh, officer, I was not coasting in neutral, I just shift really slowly!" :-)

iirc its illegal here for trucks over 3,5 tonnes, but my driving school lessons were long time ago.

slowmover 07-10-2018 07:18 PM

“My 4.5T pickup pulls my 35’ 4.5T travel trailer with the same or better highway MPG than your 4WD pickup can travel empty”.

Too long. But, fun to poke ‘em in the eye.

I am moving this nine-ton combined rig with the same MPG as your empty 2.5T pickup

Most believe neither the solo nor towing MPG. I’m lying. Obviously.

Better to quote fuel savings as price paid per gallon. Them: $3.00 (15-mpg). You: $2.00 25-mpg).

I pay $1 less per gallon of gas than you.

teoman 07-13-2018 07:10 AM

Good point. That will have the most impact.

Anyone smart will say “wait, what?!?” to the latter. But those people are not your target audience.

PaleMelanesian 07-13-2018 10:59 AM

I would expect to get some anger from nearby drivers. I once put a simple sticker on my car saying "50+ mpg". The road rage doubled. The angry passing, brake checking, middle fingers as they drive past, honks, etc. People do not want to hear about someone doing better than they are, whether in mpg or finances or health.

I would not do it.

teoman 07-13-2018 12:54 PM

That is also true. In countries like mine people prefer to pull others down rather than ameliorate themselves.

rmay635703 07-13-2018 11:42 PM

I’ve often thought about have a
I’m getting XX MPG now and averaging XX mpg on this tank
Electronic sign on the back

FormulaLosAngeles 07-25-2018 01:54 AM

thanks for all you thoughts, so if road rage resentment is an issue? I think so , It has taken me a long time to consider that if people are mad at me I am probably doing my best work...I should not have abandoned those patents..
Then what are the strategies?

1. speak in code to those few people who will understand and be curious, and otherwise avoid any comprehension by people in general? They have to do some work to figure it out, ie an internet link without explanation.

2. Purposely piss people off for the attention, any publicity is good publicity.

my brother mechanic has a sign during OBD error code driving cycle test drives that says 'Back off, emissions testing' . there maybe something in experimental low emissions concept signage, hmm

rmay635703 07-25-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 573714)
I would expect to get some anger from nearby drivers. I once put a simple sticker on my car saying "50+ mpg". The road rage doubled. The angry passing, brake checking, middle fingers as they drive past, honks, etc. People do not want to hear about someone doing better than they are, whether in mpg or finances or health.

I would not do it.

Most areas have a hotline to report aggressive, or road raging drivers.
Police can intercept in under 5 minutes and many times they loose their license since they typically are raging against everyone.

I have learned long ago that you can’t worry about what other people think,
Especially when it comes to doing the right thing, they can and will find a reason to be enraged no matter what and placating them serves no purpose except to Extend how long they can continue on creating issues in society .

In my mind “road rage” should be punishable by execution, as it can result in multiple murders over something that is completely unimportant.

Imagine, there are people who believe that if a moving object that is following the law deserves death by their hand because another moving object thought it might have to slow down slightly. I’m sure in the history of mankind no greater injury has ever occurred.

Not sure how we came to this point but placating aggressors does not work, so no sense worrying about it.

mpg_numbers_guy 07-25-2018 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 573714)

I would not do it.

This. Why I haven't posted a "50+ MPG" sticker on my car lol.

California98Civic 07-26-2018 10:43 AM

I used the ecomodder.com sticker as a stencil of sorts to spraypaint the address on my rear driverside passenger window (which does not open on the coupe), and I have sometimes posted my MPG average or my EM graph as a sticker on that side window, but small. Someone has to stop and read to see it. I have observed people in parkinglots and parked on the street looking at it, photographing it. But for the reasons people cite above, I do not make a display for cars behind me. My car is odd enough--sorta--in badges and visible mods that people can see something is up if they get behind me for a minute. They go around. I think my dark tint keeps them guessing who is inside and they just keep going. I don't get honked at, generally. But I don't drive super slow, either.

hat_man 07-30-2018 05:57 AM

Sounds familiar.......

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ker-36499.html

stefanv 08-09-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teoman (Post 573482)

To my Canadian friends, do you think most people here (Southern Ontario) would comprehend L/100km, or do they still think in mpg? And if the latter, US gallons or Imperial gallons? I know that back in the day, fuel economy was discussed here in miles per Imperial gallon.