EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Fast, Far, Real: FFR Trikes. Introduction (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fast-far-real-ffr-trikes-introduction-10395.html)

VRdublove 09-29-2009 12:22 PM

Fast, Far, Real: FFR Trikes. Introduction

Hey everyone,

I just joined the forum and wanted to quickly introduce myself. I've always had a passion for modifying vehicles, in the past I simply modified them for speed, but now I'm a sucker for finding the best combination of speed and efficiency.

After tinkering with a bunch of EV projects over the years, I recently began collaborating ideas with a great machinist friend of mine, and we've had the opportunity to start building some really killer lightweight electric trikes.

Building off of KMX's tadpole recumbent trikes, we use extremely lightweight RC-heli style drive systems that are very efficent, powerful, and light. It also has a 1/8" aluminum skidplate, and the trike can be driven in the rain without dismay, as the electronic components are all sealed off in aluminum enclosures.

My intention for my trikes was to build practical trikes that could be driven almost anywhere, haul a load, be pedalable, and offer the necessary power to climb most any hill with most any load.

Our Transition One Trike weighs only 85 lbs, and can travel 30+ miles on only 1 kWh of energy (about 10 cents). We gear them for 30 mph, and they use a primary cogged belt drive, with all aluminum CNC'd drive components.

I keep KMX's unmodified recumbent trikes onhand as well, so I can offer some good deals on their trikes.

Here's a picture of KMX's Cobra, my favorite trike of theirs:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...aSideMoney.jpg

If anyone needs any guidance with their own bicycle/trike based builds, I have a good bit of experience and I love helping out with projects, so get in touch.

Here's a couple shots of my personal FFR Tranistion One, built off the Cobra:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tionOne1-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tionOne3-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...tionOne2-1.jpg

I'll soon be purchasing a 2010 Golf TDi for my highway trips, so I expect this forum to be a great resource for the mod-bug in me. :)

Thanks!
Tommy

Rokeby 09-29-2009 06:21 PM

VRdublove,

Wicked cool! :thumbup:

Thanks for the write-up.
Thanks for the lead to KMX.
Thanks for making my day.

How much would your FFR Transition One cost?

FWIW, visited Boone, NC quite a few yeqrs ago when my son
was at ASU. Beautiful area; nice, small university town up in the
mountains - still wear an ASU T-shirt at times - Go Mountaineers!

Lots of hills; long, steep hills with twisty, windy turns! :eek:

VRdublove 09-29-2009 11:38 PM

That's what I like to hear! You're welcome!

The T-One will sell for $5500. I will eventually build lesser models as well.

Boone is a great little town, there's lots of great people and ideas up here as well. I love it here, it's going to be a tough place to leave, maybe I just won't leave. The place is really growing though, the roads are running out of room for all the cars. Ever since our Michigan win, the place has been put on the map, and everybody wants to be up here. There's just not enough room for everyone, they all need trikes! :D

Christ 09-29-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRdublove (Post 130761)
That's what I like to hear! You're welcome!

The T-One will sell for $5500. I will eventually build lesser models as well.

Boone is a great little town, there's lots of great people and ideas up here as well. I love it here, it's going to be a tough place to leave, maybe I just won't leave. The place is really growing though, the roads are running out of room for all the cars. Ever since our Michigan win, the place has been put on the map, and everybody wants to be up here. There's just not enough room for everyone, they all need trikes! :D

I used to live near Chambersburg in Mechanicsburg... I wish I'd known you guys were around, I love to see new shops with interesting ideas.

For sure, if I make it down that way some time, I'll have to stop in and check out your work... meanwhile, I'm still getting old bike frames together and all the parts to build my own... Yay.

elhigh 09-30-2009 09:09 AM

I like how all the componentry stays small and out of the wind - looks very trick. Most people might not even realize the trike has any mods at all.

$5500, ouch. The last three vehicles I bought didn't cost that much, and they all had more than one seat, and garner at least a modicum of respect from fellow drivers. Traffic around here, if you don't have an engine, just doesn't care about you.

VRdublove 09-30-2009 12:01 PM

Elhigh- Thanks for the good words. We're working on lesser models, the cheapest one should be priced under $2900. This is a hand built, one of a kind machine, there's nothing else like it. Try googling "electric trike" and see what comes up, nothing but big, delta style trikes with hub motors. Our trikes use LiPolymer, AC motors, and our controllers weigh less than a pound and can handle surges over 10,000 watts. There's really no comparison. :)

The trike is designed to keep up with traffic, and I've found that drivers show me much more respect then they do on my bicycle, mainly because their eyes are glued and their route is locked. I've logged over 3,000 miles in NC and PA, with no problems, a streak that will hopefully continue, God willing.

They are very aerodynamic, I'm continually amazed miniscule power consumption at high speeds.

Christ- Stop by anytime, Boone is a great place to visit regardless, just don't move in, we're running out of room. ;)

Christ 09-30-2009 08:34 PM

It helps when you can keep up with (overtake) normal traffic...

Christopher Jordan 10-01-2009 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VRdublove (Post 130830)
Try googling "electric trike" and see what comes up, nothing but big, delta style trikes with hub motors.

I just did. You are right- all but 1 were those dangerous 1950 high trikes. The Aerorider was listed also by Google, but they did not have a photo of it. This is a very old Aerorider photo!

Geebee 10-02-2009 09:02 AM

Browse around here and you will find several high speed tadpoles Endless-sphere.com • Index page or google electric tadpole trike.
I understand they are hand built drive trains but for those that like to tinker a $1,200 trike, a $3~500 hub motor and whatever Lithiums you need for range will halve the price with similar speeds.
Unless the road surface is good 30 mph continuously gets tiring with no suspension.
And from what I have read they would be illegal for road use in most of the US and definately so in Australia.

Christopher Jordan 10-02-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geebee (Post 131209)
I understand they are hand built drive trains but for those that like to tinker a $1,200 trike, a $3~500 hub motor and whatever Lithiums you need for range will halve the price with similar speeds.
Unless the road surface is good 30 mph continuously gets tiring with no suspension.
And from what I have read they would be illegal for road use in most of the US and definately so in Australia.

Sort of like history 101 ;) In about 1998 I motorised a $995.00 S & B Venice Beach recumbent trike. About 2001 I motorised a $1495.00 TerraTrike. The E-Pod started in 2004 as an $1195. Sun EZ Tad (a heavy poorly geared recumbent). It now has a rear hub motor. It went 35 mph without the motor (looked like a cricket to me)- just mechanical changes. It was a slug most of the time. When motorised I had constant power; but was illegal in CA. Only 20 mph was allowed, so now it is geared down with governers and limiters in the 36 volt controller. Fine with me- it hauls a heavy trailer and almost climbs a wall! At 110 pounds empty it is "almost" useful anywhere. Sure needs suspension! Not so hot 4-wheeling a 3 wheeler.

The City-EL is 48 volts and goes 50 mph, so I had to register that 3-wheeler. That vehicle began in Denmark in 1988 I think and mine is a 1993. Rather interesting to have a bit of history :D