EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   fast warm up ideas: Exhaust heat exchanger (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fast-warm-up-ideas-exhaust-heat-exchanger-29085.html)

oil pan 4 05-28-2014 05:36 PM

fast warm up ideas: Exhaust heat exchanger

1 Attachment(s)
These EGR coolers are horrible for power and fuel economy on the diesel engines they were originally fitted on. But they have other uses.
These are stainless steel tube in shell vessels purpose built to exchange heat between a vehicles exhaust and its coolant.
How does it get any better than that?

Possible uses for these EGR coolers include:
Coolant warmed air intake heater
As an air to water after cooler for smaller turbo or supercharged gas or diesel engine.
Its intended use (as a coolant cooled EGR cooler) on some other kind of engine.
As a exhaust powered coolant heater for engines big and small.
A steam super heater (do that at your own risk).
And what ever else you imagination can come up with.

I have seen a few posts about using cooled EGR or more EGR and trying to find ways to try and reuse waste exhaust heat. Main problem with these ideas was the lack of cheap easy to get parts built for this kind of job.
Now we have the technology.

The problem with running some kind of exhaust to coolant heat exchanger is when you don't want any more exhaust heat flow to your coolant you cant just shut off the coolant flow. That seems like it would be the easiest way to stop the heat transfer, but would superheat the coolant and that would be very bad for the coolant and the heat exchanger.
So we must shut off the exhaust flow to the heat exchanger. Sounds difficult right? Not really.
This can be accomplished with exhaust cut outs for large heat movement projects or a universal or external turbo waste gate can be used for smaller heat transfer projects. Waste gates go from about 1 inch up to about 2.25 inchs in diameter. Cut outs start around 1.5 to 2 inches and just go up from there.

I found a hord of take off 6.4L ford powerstroke EGR coolers.
If any one wants one real cheap to experiment with on say a gas or different diesel engine, just be a long time member and PM me.
Price will be shipping plus $10 over what I pick them up for, just a finders fee. (I think each one will cost me around $5 to $10)
Other wise I am going to try to sell them on ebay for a lot more.

Edit: The hoard of exhaust coolers is long gone, I had milk crates stuffed with EGR coolers, altogether weighing 100s of pounds. I never though I would be able to sell them all.
I get a few here and there every now and then.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...5&d=1435637403

Cobb 05-28-2014 07:18 PM

I was watching truck U on the speed channel and they had one fail dumping coolant into the engine. Solution? EGR delete. The truck ran cooler and had a hell of a lot more power. :thumbup:

oil pan 4 05-29-2014 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 426843)
I was watching truck U on the speed channel and they had one fail dumping coolant into the engine. Solution? EGR delete. The truck ran cooler and had a hell of a lot more power. :thumbup:

Thats what happens when you run a ton of drive pressure.
They aren't doing the really hard working diesels any favors at all.

Daox 05-29-2014 09:09 AM

Do you have pictures/dimensions?

t vago 05-29-2014 01:02 PM

Might be interested in 3 or 4 of them. Let me think about a day or two.

oil pan 4 05-29-2014 01:10 PM

Yes and I will put detailed dimensions for them.
And I will pressure check them. I was told these were take offs and I looked at several of them and none appeared to be leaking.

oil pan 4 05-29-2014 03:04 PM

Ok I have one ford 6.0hNo cooler (appears to be the most difficult to hook coolant up to), 2 styles of 2008 to 2010 ym 6.4l coolers. Then some other ones I have not identified, might be LLY duramax coolers.
Shipping will be up to $30, the closer you are to me the cheaper it will be.
If you want one and are in the lower 48 I should be able to let them go for $50 or less each, if you don't need it modified.
Remember I do stainless steel fabrication, so if you need one modified a little I will do it cheaper than any welding or machine shop.
Most of these have 2 bolt flanges to hook up exhaust, coolant hooks up with anywhwere from 1 inch to half inch hose, There are tons of pictures on ebay, I will start listing dimensions here shortly.
I have to put a few on ebay, people are asking stupid amounts of money for used ones on there.
So not only will I supply ecomodders with cheap exhaust heat exchangers I will modify them so you can actually put them on your car sooner rather than later.

oil pan 4 05-29-2014 07:43 PM

The 6.4l powerstroke egr cooler is withthe flexable exhaust outlet or inlet 24 inches long.
This one has 3 coolant ports. The smallest one appears to be a bleed port and takes a half inch hose and has a tiny port useless for moving large volumes of coolant. The other 2 coolant ports are 7/8 inch and 5/8 inch. The 5/8 and half inch bleed port are next to each other.
The exhaust inlet and out let ports are both 1.5 inch. Flange bolt holes are centered 2.75 inches apart.
There appears to be a sensor port, which I verified to be 1/4NPT.

Possible modifications:
The half inch bleed port might be drilled out to something useable or welded over and plugged up.
The flexable outlet can be bent in any direction needed.
The 1/4"NPT port could be used to direct more EGR back to the engine.
The non flex outlet 6.4l cooler should be about 4 inches shorter and that will make shipping little cheaper.

oil pan 4 05-31-2014 10:13 PM

The horizontal 6.4L EGR cooler is about 20 inches long, about 4 inches shorter than the other one.
No flexible exhaust end, no coolant bleed.

oil pan 4 06-02-2014 05:10 PM

Since I dont have a car to put one of these on, yet.
I was thinking a test is still in order.
Attach an EGR cooler to my 212cc 7hp pressure washers exhaust. Pass a known amout of water through the heat exchanger, measure the delta temperature.
If it works well I may have to attach one to my pressure washer and enjoy having the pressure washers water warmed for free.
I figure a 7hp pressure washer running flat out has to be burning roughly the same amout of fuel and generating about as much exhaust as an aerodynamic ecomodder car being driven for fuel economy.
How does that sound?

oil pan 4 07-04-2014 02:41 PM

Last 6.4 coolers are up for sale and I have no idea when I will be getting more.
I am going to remake my pressure washers base platform and use a 6.0L cooler as the heat exchanger since the 6.4L coolers sell a lot better in pairs. I am going to attach the 6.0L cooler to the pressure washer with out modifying it, so if it doesnt work I can still sell it.

oil pan 4 09-12-2014 08:43 PM

I have some 6.7L cummins EGR coolers. I like these.
They are bulky, heavy and well made. You could make a boiler or superheater out of one of these.
Unlike the 6.Oh-no ford coolers which are light, flimsy and are known for being an almost guaranteed point of failure.

If I was going to put one of these EGR coolers on a vehicle to be used as a heat exchanger of some sort I would use a ford 6.4 or cummins 6.7L cooler.

I am looking forward to seeing new ford 6.7L EGR coolers.

oil pan 4 10-11-2014 11:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ford 6.Oh no.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1413040291

Ford 6.4L coolers.

Cummins 6.7L

As far as an exhaust heat exchanger goes what more could you ask for?
Stainless steel, has coolant hose barbs on both inlets and out lets (except for the 6.0L on one end), has exhaust flanges on at least one end.

oil pan 4 10-12-2014 04:42 PM

Have more pictures to post but they are too big

oil pan 4 05-08-2015 01:35 PM

EGR coolers are back in season.
I have some 6.0 coolers and an individual ford 6.4 cooler (the one with out the flexable exhaust end).
I am not going to bother trying to sell the individual 6.4 cooler on ebay. I don't think anyone is just going to want just one.
Ecomodders pay actual shipping (for ebay sales I give the UPS man a Maine zip code, take that quote and that's my standard shipping charge).

oil pan 4 06-30-2015 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture showing the difference between a plate heat exchanger and a tube in shell.
This is what a OEM ford 6.0 cooler looks like. The original OEM cooler uses the plate style. That is the EGR cooler that is famous for failing.
The upgrade has the 6 tubes.

Problem is you don't use thin plate heat exchangers when you have high differential pressures and/or high differential temperatures between fluids needing to have their heat exchanged.

There is nothing wrong with thin metal plate, when used in the correct applications, they work great for oil and transmission fluid to coolant heat exchangers.

Tube in shell are used in boilers. High delta pressure, high delta temp.

An EGR cooler used in a diesel EGR cooler application sees both high temperature and pressure differentials. A repurposed EGR cooler will see the high temperature differential but on the pressure side there wont be nearly as much.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...6&d=1435637508

oil pan 4 10-31-2015 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Basic concept.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1446344839

Edit: I just noticed I made an error when I made that picture.
The best way to pump coolant through the cooler is something called "counter flow", which is opposite of what I showed.
You want the exhaust and coolant or water flowing against each other.

oil pan 4 03-28-2016 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Problem is the little light to medium duty pickup truck EGR coolers is they just didn't look big enough for anything I would want to use them on, until now.

I found 2 pretty large EGR coolers at the scrap yard today, they weigh about 30 pounds each.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1459207018

My guess is that they are out off some kind of john deere engine.

gumby79 12-09-2016 12:31 PM

What % open ( will allow air flow) Vs blocked (water jacket) would you say. And what size would you suggest to use for an in line (post IC pre intake)on my 5.9 12v cummins?
Thanks in advance.

LittleBlackDuck 12-09-2016 04:36 PM

Stop wasting time hacking around with crap. Look at the Gen3 Prius or 2010 on Lexus hybrids. They have a purpose built device to do this. It also has a valve for bypass to reduce flow resistance at full throttle.

Google "Lexus exhaust heat recovery"

Simon

LittleBlackDuck 12-09-2016 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 498159)
Basic concept.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1446344839

Edit: I just noticed I made an error when I made that picture.
The best way to pump coolant through the cooler is something called "counter flow", which is opposite of what I showed.
You want the exhaust and coolant or water flowing against each other.

Only issue here is that the exhaust gas will not want to flow through the restrictive EGR cooler instead of the open pipe. You will need a restriction in the main pipe to force the flow where you want it.

Simon

Fingie 12-09-2016 04:58 PM

I had a plan of wrapping copper piping around the long pipe just after the cat :D

oil pan 4 12-09-2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBlackDuck (Post 529026)
Stop wasting time hacking around with crap. Look at the Gen3 Prius or 2010 on Lexus hybrids. They have a purpose built device to do this. It also has a valve for bypass to reduce flow resistance at full throttle.

Google "Lexus exhaust heat recovery"

Simon

How is a stainless steel Coolant to exhaust EGR cooler not purpose built to exchange heat between the exhaust and coolant. When that's the only thing it does?
I actually don't have a heat exchanger application for this. I was just sharing an idea.
My only application for diesel EGR coolers is reselling them for massive profit.

oil pan 4 12-10-2016 11:21 AM

Or something like this:
CAMCO #11810, 6 GALLON STAINLESS STEEL WATER HEATER. The Chandlery Online

oil pan 4 03-21-2017 05:39 AM

I have some more EGR coolers.
Ford 6.0 exhaust cooler like always and something that looks like it came from a John deere. Definitely came out of a big displacement medium to heavy duty diesel engine.
Big enough it could be used as an intake heater or after cooler for a 4cyl car.

oil pan 4 04-24-2017 01:06 PM

I got some 6.4 ford EGR coolers with hardware and hoses.

t vago 04-24-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 539249)
I got some 6.4 ford EGR coolers with hardware and hoses.

How much for two of them, shipped to 52405?

oil pan 4 04-24-2017 03:13 PM

Let me get to the UPS shipping hub when they open at 1500 mountain time.
You just want a horizontal and a vertical EGR cooler correct?
Do you want a set with mounting hardware?
I'm assuming they are not for a 6.4L powerstroke.

t vago 04-25-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 539260)
Let me get to the UPS shipping hub when they open at 1500 mountain time.
You just want a horizontal and a vertical EGR cooler correct?
Do you want a set with mounting hardware?
I'm assuming they are not for a 6.4L powerstroke.

Actually, I'd like to have two horizontal EGR coolers. The vertical ones appear to have some sort of flex coupling thingy that I don't want to have. I would like mounting hardware and hoses, if you got them, but that's not strictly necessary.

oil pan 4 04-25-2017 10:22 AM

Yes I have 2 horizontal ones.
2 horizontal ones will make the box about 3 to 4 inches shorter.

For my 8L big block Chevy build I am strongly considering using one or 2 to get that pig up to temperature.

oil pan 4 04-25-2017 07:53 PM

I can do $55 total on 2 of those.
Most of that is for the shipping.
When I put them on ebay I'm charging about 50 for shipping as a flat rate.