Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
And of course you could always sell the Jeep and recoup at least some of that $4K.
I'll second that. BTW the Tracker also has some good off-road capabilities

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I'll second that. BTW the Tracker also has some good off-road capabilities
Never owned a Geo and absolutely love Honda, but if I ever wanted something for 4x4 offroading I would definitely be getting an OBD-2, hard top, Geo Tracker. Those things can do some suprising things offroad for how little they are, and you I can't camplain with their gas mileage.

Or maybe I would just get a Honda 4-wheeler and call it a day

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI

Last edited by Shortie771; 03-08-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
I know what you're thinking... stepping over dollars to pick up dimes am I right? Yes in the small picture it is 100% true I have invested almost $4000 in my motorcycle and Tracker.... That's a lot of gasoline I could put in my Jeep! However in the big picture the gasoline is a consumable where as the vehicles are an asset. Adding up the reoccurring fixed costs they are still a lot less than the savings in fuel...which means as long as one of the vehicles don't need a costly repair, they are a viable cost saving investment.
Your vehicles are a depreciating asset. Don't forget to factor in taxes, insurance, DEQ, maintenance, etc, and the "investment" is less lucrative. I'm not saying you aren't saving money, just make sure you factor all of the expenses into the equation.

People on my motorcycle forum like to imagine all the money they will save buying a crotch-rocket, but I go through a rear tire every 3000 miles at a cost of about $200. Then there is chain maintenance... a crotch-rocket is never part of a money saving strategy.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Your vehicles are a depreciating asset. Don't forget to factor in taxes, insurance, DEQ, maintenance, etc, and the "investment" is less lucrative. I'm not saying you aren't saving money, just make sure you factor all of the expenses into the equation.

People on my motorcycle forum like to imagine all the money they will save buying a crotch-rocket, but I go through a rear tire every 3000 miles at a cost of about $200. Then there is chain maintenance... a crotch-rocket is never part of a money saving strategy.

I don't think my vehicles can depreciate much more unless they are totaled lol

Believe me I have factored it in.... Maintenance on the motorcycle is calculated at $92 per year in a 5 year maintenance schedule. This is thanks to Suzuki's engineers the only consumable I have to worry about is engine oil, greases and other lubrications. The cost of a set of tires was $113 including new tubes. Registration is $47.50 per year. Insurance is $150 per year. Total is $289.50.

Even if gasoline was $3 per gallon (wouldn't it be nice?) it saves me about 19c in fuel for every mile I ride vs driving the Jeep the same mile. Which means at $3 per gallon I would have to ride 1524 miles per year to "break even". Last year I rode 1950 miles and it rained much of the season.... The more the price of a gallon of fuel, the more money I save.

I don't have enough data on the Tracker yet but thus far the CPM is literally half of what my Jeep's CPM is. Saving the wear and tear on the Jeep is nice. Even just looking at tire wear....a set of tires on the Jeep can set me back over a grand... The new tires on the tracker with alignment was under $450. The insurance is also half the cost of the Jeep's insurance.

Project Avalon: E bike build
Old 03-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie771 View Post
Never owned a Geo and absolutely love Honda, but if I ever wanted something for 4x4 offroading I would definitely be getting an OBD-2, hard top, Geo Tracker.
Those are still among my favorite compact SUVs. Body-on-frame platforms are good for both off-roading mods and also eco mods

Reply  Post New Thread