Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Got soul?

Soulster - '10 Kia Soul Plus
90 day: 35.36 mpg (US)

100k POS - '01 Dodge Neon
Not the usual eco car!

I have been rather unhappy with my 28-29mpg from my 2010 Kia soul (yes I know, its sporty! ) From looking around on this site I got a used scangauge from ebay ($108) and worked on changing my driving habits and speed. After two tanks I am averaging 34.4mpg

I'm still trying to decide if the 20 or so fingers every morning is worth the monetary savings...any suggestions on how to cut down the insults?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulster View Post
I'm still trying to decide if the 20 or so fingers every morning is worth the monetary savings...any suggestions on how to cut down the insults?
Just laugh at them, it's the best solution.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Turn up the music. Isn't it great not to be stuck behind somebody?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Soulster -

They're just jealous of your hamrific ride :

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've always thought of concealing a paintball marker somewhere inside a body panel to mark any idiots who multitask while driving.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofreak View Post
I've always thought of concealing a paintball marker somewhere inside a body panel to mark any idiots who multitask while driving.
Don't get me started. I do have a story about paintball markers and highway driving.

For the lawyers: I don't condone the use of paintball markers in this way. There, that's taken care of.

An acquaintance of mine (not me!) loves paintball. Alot. Always going. He has a stretch of 2 lane highway he commutes on and every morning catches up to the same guy who won't let him pass (see? Not me. I drive slow now). He'd pull out to pass when it was finally safe, then the other guy would speed up to the point where my acquaintance would have to jam on the brakes and pull behind again. I'm sure you know where this is going.

One day, my acquaintance decides to bring his marker with him in the truck. Loaded, in the pax seat. When he pulled out to pass, he had no problems getting around the offending vehicle, who fortunately had his window up.

It's kind of a feel good story to me.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
I'd better stick to answering the original question!

For me, I stick to the right lane when possible, ride the ridge if someone presses me, or even throw on the 4 ways if they don't get the message. If you're on a two lane you might have to speed up a touch to prevent retaliation.

So far no one's really done anything stupid, and in traffic with lights, most people just stay back there once they've figured out I'm timing the lights.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulster View Post
I have been rather unhappy with my 28-29mpg from my 2010 Kia soul (yes I know, its sporty! ) From looking around on this site I got a used scangauge from ebay ($108) and worked on changing my driving habits and speed. After two tanks I am averaging 34.4mpg

Keep an eye on your rear view mirror and be considerate of other drivers. They're trying to get somewhere in a hurry, and their goals are as important to them as your mpg is to you. Actively help them with their seemingly futile goals.

Route selection becomes very important here. If you have the road to yourself, you can do whatever you want. If there's light traffic and room for people to pass, feel free to go below the posted speed limit.

It may be technically legal to go 15 or 20mph below the speed limit, but take a poll. The general population finds that completely ridiculous. If you don't want to be a jerk, you have to allow traffic to move at or above the posted speed limit in good weather. Rain, snow, and even darkness are good excuses to go slower.

Aerodynamic modifications have allowed me to cruise faster at the same level of fuel consumption, and having a hybrid allows you to brake without beating yourself up over it.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSmalls For This Useful Post:
bestclimb (08-23-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2012 Golf TDI - '12 Volkswagen Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 45.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletby View Post
Don't get me started. I do have a story about paintball markers and highway driving.

For the lawyers: I don't condone the use of paintball markers in this way. There, that's taken care of.

An acquaintance of mine (not me!) loves paintball. Alot. Always going. He has a stretch of 2 lane highway he commutes on and every morning catches up to the same guy who won't let him pass (see? Not me. I drive slow now). He'd pull out to pass when it was finally safe, then the other guy would speed up to the point where my acquaintance would have to jam on the brakes and pull behind again. I'm sure you know where this is going.

One day, my acquaintance decides to bring his marker with him in the truck. Loaded, in the pax seat. When he pulled out to pass, he had no problems getting around the offending vehicle, who fortunately had his window up.

It's kind of a feel good story to me.
This is why I've nearly tripled the power in my festiva. People mess with me all the time but they have no idea I could easily make them a speck in my mirror, until I do...

BP-turbo 93 Festiva (long gone)
1/4 mile - 12.50@111.5
Best MPG - 36.8
Old 08-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
I find myself pretty much being stuck doing the speed limit in town (I do coast to stop lights) and will stick to just 10 mph or so below the speed limit on the highway, staying in the far right lane the entire time.

It works, I've driven 20,000 miles in 5 months and have yet to be pulled over or get the finger from anyone. For the most part, as long as you're not holding people up they just fly by you and pay no attention to the loser in the slow lane.

Reply  Post New Thread