Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Nerdcycle - '81 Honda CM400E
Motorcycle
90 day: 61.16 mpg (US)

Trouble - '06 Kawasaki Ninja
90 day: 74.69 mpg (US)

Edna - '13 Nissan LEAF SV
Last 3: 126.4 mpg (US)

Tank - '20 Ford Expedition Limited
Last 3: 17.4 mpg (US)
Straightening a leaning garage

I have a garage that is approx. 60 years. It has been added onto once to extend the back side out about 6FT. The front is still square, within a couple of degrees, so the automatic door still works. However the back, where the extension was add has had one of the 4x4 corner posts rot through and is now leaning approx. 10-15 degrees. I wouldn't really care, since the main door still works and I don't think it's going to fall down, but the lean makes it so I can't use the door to the extension. I'd love to be able to put my motorcycle into the garage without having to move my truck and being able to use the door to the extension would make this possible. Do any of you have any tricks or DIY suggestions to help straighten this up?

I've thought about getting a steel cable and running from the far side, out the window and around the nearby tree and ratcheting it up, but I don't want to make it worse that it already is by loosening things up and that's only a temporary solution. Once I get it more square, how do I keep it there without the cable out the window?

The problem was caused in part by the previous owners who had some 6 layers of shingles on it. So, I've been leery of putting anything in the empty space between trusses or on the roof. Otherwise this would be the perfect place for start working on solar and other projects before the wife allowed them in the house.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
Try this link

http://www.mibarn.net/Resources/_doc...ngYourBarn.pdf

Old 07-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
Not sure how it is leaning but if it is sitting lower from the post rotting and compressing then the easiest way would be to nail a 2x10 on the inside and outside about 2 ft off the floor and ground outside and put 4 or so hydraulic jacks on it, 2 per side and jack it back up then replace the rotted 4x4.

If it is leaning sideways then I would build some good braces to catch it once it gets to square and just pull it with a cable and come-a-long to square it back up then jack it up off of the bad 4x4 and replace it.

It kind of depends on how the garage is made so without pictures or something it would be hard to say how to fix it really. But just going by what has been said that is my best guess on how to fix it.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Once you get it straightened up add some triangles with bracing or you can nail a sheet of 5/8 plywood onto the studs on the inside in the corners. Horizontal siding has just about zero resistence to racking vs. plywood sheeting. Once its braced up you could remove the old shingles and reroof it to ease some of the strain.

Ian

Reply  Post New Thread