Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Electric Backhoe Project.

Hi all,

I'm embarking a project which is rather daunting but exciting. Probably my most ambitious to date but the time is right. There are deals to be had and drainage ditches to be dug. The homestead is in need of much leveling and septic tank putting in and it must be emissions free. (the implement anyhow)

I have been keeping my eyes out for deals and found some half price hydraulic cylinders, wheels, and a surplus 24 volt motor and pump. I have a set of batteries but will probably need a few more. Will not need ballast with a set of batts.

I'm not decided on a kit yet. I may just design it myself. I want it to be fat tired and towable by my ElecTrak and the Previa. The ElecTrak can tow our airstream so that should not be an issue.

The big deal will be the bushings. Dom tube and bronze. I should probably just buy the bushing kit at least.

I have been looking at this pump combo:https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...name=hydraulic
Will this be enough GPH to run my 2.5" cylinders at a decent clip?

Some links:
CadPlans Corporation - Where you can find designs, tips and order information to build your own backhoes, diggers and MORE!

Backhoe, Build a backhoe, these plans show you how.

Yuck yuck!Homemade diggers, homebuilt excavators, towable diggers, backhoe plans

prospector towable excavator - special order | Excavators | Power Equipment | Outdoor | Princess Auto

Stellar deals from Princess Auto: Each of these 2.5" bore 3000psi cylinders (no China, all Canada) was less than $100. 1/2 price or less!

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Last edited by orange4boy; 09-09-2010 at 02:38 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Wow, that is a very large and fun sounding project! Unfortunately, I have no idea on how to size hydraulic components.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I was going to suggest buying an old electric forklift as you would get the batteries, valves, motors, pumps, cylinders.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I was going to suggest buying an old electric forklift as you would get the batteries, valves, motors, pumps, cylinders.
That is a really good idea. The lowly forklift has so much potential. I was thinking of scavenging parts but with being on an island, the yards are just too hard to get to so it's mostly going to be new parts. I'm also kind of done with having to repair everything. It seems to take so much of my time. (that sounds silly since I will spend a huge amount of time building this from scratch) Also, there are so many deals to be had, I can't resist the shiny shiny.

I found a site that has charts to calculate piston velocity, force, etc.:http://www.haave.no/pdf/FactsWorthKn...Hydraulics.pdf
My pump is 24V, 5.4 hp with two pumps: a two stage pump 3.5 gph / .9 gph @2000psi and a continuous 2.5 gph pump which I don't have a use for yet.
According to the charts in the preceeding pdf, my pistons will travel at .07 m/s which sounds pretty good. Not racing along but fast enough for me.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

wow.. building from scratch?? I hope you have the facilities to cut and weld 1/2" thick steel with reasonable precision!

honestly I don't see this working out to be any cheaper than buying one and converting it. 90% of that metal is going to be the same. unless you have some wild twist to put on it! mount this in the bed of a 4x4 truck instead of treads?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automcdonough View Post
wow.. building from scratch?? I hope you have the facilities to cut and weld 1/2" thick steel with reasonable precision!

honestly I don't see this working out to be any cheaper than buying one and converting it. 90% of that metal is going to be the same. unless you have some wild twist to put on it! mount this in the bed of a 4x4 truck instead of treads?
To respond to this, I will quote the wise and learned Bugs Bunny: "He don't know me very well do he?"

I'm a furniture maker and I fabricate in wood metal and glass. I have a bunch of scratch built stuff under my belt: Glass kiln, Glory hole, glass melting furnace, 24" lapidary wheel, Snow plow for my elec trak, house, etc.

As for price, I could buy a new cheapo harbour freight digger for about $3000 US but where's the fun in that? True, It is orange which, for me is almost reason enough but I love projects, so this would go under the heading of : Q: Why did you do it? A: Because it wasn't there.

But seriously, the components that go into the harbour freight digger are mostly Chinese. I will be sourcing mostly high quality Canadian and USA made parts. (Italian hydraulic spools, no less) I will have to go with some china crap but will try to keep it to a minimum.

As for wild twist: I have decided to go with hydraulic stabilizers which will make the machine easier and safer to use on my hilly property.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You're right, I'm new enough around here to not know you that well yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
As for wild twist: I have decided to go with
hydraulic stabilizers which will make the machine easier and safer to use on my hilly property.
That justifies it in my book.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mee too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Hi all,

I'm embarking a project which is rather daunting but exciting. Probably my most ambitious to date but the time is right. There are deals to be had and drainage ditches to be dug. The homestead is in need of much leveling and septic tank putting in and it must be emissions free. (the implement anyhow).....

Stellar deals from Princess Auto: Each of these 2.5" bore 3000psi cylinders (no China, all Canada) was less than $100. 1/2 price or less!
Orange4boy,

I was just asking google about an electric backhoe
and I came across your old thread....

Did you decide to build this? Did it work?

I have a few projects for my small property where
a backhoe would help (trenches for geothermal, etc.),
and I am considering options - buy used, build, rent....
but having one to keep sounds cool.

Thanks
Seth
Old 02-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No, I didn't end up building it but mainly because we moved to a small property in the city. There are quite a few other projects on the tubes who have done it though.

Not for the feint of heart but not rocket science either. I still have the 36V electric hydraulic pump but everything else I returned or sold.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks.
I have one or two projects I wish I could sell the pieces.
For my project, I am leaning a bit towards "hire it done"
rather than have another project for a project for a project.

except that building a BH means I can keep it :-)

Reply  Post New Thread