EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Fiero guy (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fiero-guy-6917.html)

TyGuy 01-28-2009 10:43 PM

Fiero guy

Hey everyone, I just signed up. I am 20 years old and i live in Rhode Island. I have a 84 pontiac fiero that ive been trying to get some good fuel mileage from. I think my best last summer was 45mpg on the highway. I dont think thats too bad for a 25 year old, carburated car.

I have been thinking about installing a vacuum gauge pretty soon, to monitor the load on the engine.

Hope to hear from someone! lol

cfg83 01-28-2009 11:53 PM

TyGuy -

Welcome to EM! The Fiero is definitely a good highway MPG machine. One of my favorite 1980's designs. I wish the Kit-Car industry made a super-aero-kit for it!!!!!

CarloSW2

Daox 01-29-2009 08:33 AM

Welcome to the site. Thats pretty good mileage for the Fiero! Have you done any mods to it yet?

gascort 01-29-2009 10:04 AM

The '84 Fiero was GM's answer to the oil crisis; a sports car with incredible economy. Later years were more focused on performance, but still good economy.
A friend of mine shares an '86 with me that belonged to a buddy who passed last year. Very cool car.

Welcome to EM!

metroschultz 01-29-2009 11:32 AM

Good Morning

Greetings and Salutations,
As a former Fiero owner, (and memeber of the local Fiero club[they asked me to join when I bought my third one]), I would like to say
"Bravo"
I applaud you efforts. (and I wish I still had one of mine)
They are fun cars to drive but sometimes a bear to work on.
Have you made a "Belly Board " yet. (you know, that random peice of plywood to lay over the back storage space so you can work on the engine without your belly falling in the hole)

I hope you learn a lot here and keep you car for the rest of your life. (did I say I still miss mine?)

Have fun,
Schultz

Lincoln 01-29-2009 01:06 PM

I am guessing you have the 84 Economy 4-sp manual transmission?

You might want to check out Pennock's Fiero Forum also.
Pennock's Fiero Forum

Instead of the vacuum gauge I would look at the MPGuino
building a MPG monitor for OBD 1 - Pennock's Fiero Forum

TyGuy 01-29-2009 03:02 PM

thanks for the welcome everyone =]. I havent done any mods to this car. I am very familiar with the car though. I have taken it apart a few times to fix oil leaks, and other problems. It has the 2.5L with the 4spd.
I am already a member of Pennocks.
I plan to keep this car for a while

gascort 01-29-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lincoln (Post 85706)
I am guessing you have the 84 Economy 4-sp manual transmission?

Instead of the vacuum gauge I would look at the MPGuino
building a MPG monitor for OBD 1 - Pennock's Fiero Forum

TyGuy's is older than the one on the Pennock's forum; his is carbureted - don't know if anyone's come up with a way to work with them yet as far as the mpguino.

TyGuy 01-29-2009 05:51 PM

Yea, i read that earlier and it mentioned fuel injected motors. My Fiero has a TBI(Throttle Body Injection) Unit that i dont think would work. Im just going to get a vacuum gauge and monitor that.

Lincoln 01-29-2009 06:05 PM

You might want to take a look at the mpguino section of the forum.
The Metro is TBI and it works on them.