EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Fiero guy (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fiero-guy-6917.html)

TyGuy 01-28-2009 10:43 PM

Fiero guy

Hey everyone, I just signed up. I am 20 years old and i live in Rhode Island. I have a 84 pontiac fiero that ive been trying to get some good fuel mileage from. I think my best last summer was 45mpg on the highway. I dont think thats too bad for a 25 year old, carburated car.

I have been thinking about installing a vacuum gauge pretty soon, to monitor the load on the engine.

Hope to hear from someone! lol

cfg83 01-28-2009 11:53 PM

TyGuy -

Welcome to EM! The Fiero is definitely a good highway MPG machine. One of my favorite 1980's designs. I wish the Kit-Car industry made a super-aero-kit for it!!!!!

CarloSW2

Daox 01-29-2009 08:33 AM

Welcome to the site. Thats pretty good mileage for the Fiero! Have you done any mods to it yet?

gascort 01-29-2009 10:04 AM

The '84 Fiero was GM's answer to the oil crisis; a sports car with incredible economy. Later years were more focused on performance, but still good economy.
A friend of mine shares an '86 with me that belonged to a buddy who passed last year. Very cool car.

Welcome to EM!

metroschultz 01-29-2009 11:32 AM

Good Morning

Greetings and Salutations,
As a former Fiero owner, (and memeber of the local Fiero club[they asked me to join when I bought my third one]), I would like to say
"Bravo"
I applaud you efforts. (and I wish I still had one of mine)
They are fun cars to drive but sometimes a bear to work on.
Have you made a "Belly Board " yet. (you know, that random peice of plywood to lay over the back storage space so you can work on the engine without your belly falling in the hole)

I hope you learn a lot here and keep you car for the rest of your life. (did I say I still miss mine?)

Have fun,
Schultz

Lincoln 01-29-2009 01:06 PM

I am guessing you have the 84 Economy 4-sp manual transmission?

You might want to check out Pennock's Fiero Forum also.
Pennock's Fiero Forum

Instead of the vacuum gauge I would look at the MPGuino
building a MPG monitor for OBD 1 - Pennock's Fiero Forum

TyGuy 01-29-2009 03:02 PM

thanks for the welcome everyone =]. I havent done any mods to this car. I am very familiar with the car though. I have taken it apart a few times to fix oil leaks, and other problems. It has the 2.5L with the 4spd.
I am already a member of Pennocks.
I plan to keep this car for a while

gascort 01-29-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lincoln (Post 85706)
I am guessing you have the 84 Economy 4-sp manual transmission?

Instead of the vacuum gauge I would look at the MPGuino
building a MPG monitor for OBD 1 - Pennock's Fiero Forum

TyGuy's is older than the one on the Pennock's forum; his is carbureted - don't know if anyone's come up with a way to work with them yet as far as the mpguino.

TyGuy 01-29-2009 05:51 PM

Yea, i read that earlier and it mentioned fuel injected motors. My Fiero has a TBI(Throttle Body Injection) Unit that i dont think would work. Im just going to get a vacuum gauge and monitor that.

Lincoln 01-29-2009 06:05 PM

You might want to take a look at the mpguino section of the forum.
The Metro is TBI and it works on them.

gascort 01-29-2009 06:59 PM

ahh, yes - if you have TBI it will work just fine!

TyGuy 01-31-2009 04:49 PM

Well i got my vacuum gauge installed. I noticed that it doesn't go to zero when i turn off the car. Do i have a faulty gauge or what?

americasfuture2k 01-31-2009 07:14 PM

howdy fellow fiero owner. ive got one hell of a setup to try and get some FE out of, but it is a pretty efficient motor i used in my motorswap. are you a member of PFF?

a headsup, its not carb'd. thats the TBI (throttle body injectrion) system all the iron dukes in fieros have. you could aways get a MPGuino for your car like i have for mine. but if your wanting to do it the cheapest way possible, the vac. gauge would be your best bet.

45 mpg?? holy hell, thats pretty good. the epa is like 38 on that year of duke for the highway. have fun, and take good care of that car. dont junk it, restore it! ;)

EDIT: ah yes, i have been found! (my MPGuino post on PFF) you can find a lot of info from the fiero forum.

TyGuy 01-31-2009 11:35 PM

yea sorry about that, i messed up. I actually got 37mpg last summer. Yes i am a member of pennocks, i am Duke_on_fire on there. The fiero i have does have a tbi(throttle body injection) unit in it, its not carburated.

Anyone have any suggestions about my vacuum gauge? It wont go to zero, its probably broken?