EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Finally broke 50mpg! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/finally-broke-50mpg-26740.html)

Daekar 08-19-2013 06:14 PM

Finally broke 50mpg!

I finally broke 50mpg for a combined city/highway tank! Actual figure was 51.2mpg on 16.215 gallons of D2, for a total distance of 830.2 miles. I usually spend my highway time at 65-70, and have been coasting in neutral when convenient. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it up!

tienbac2005 08-19-2013 06:28 PM

Good job. I'm excited I broke 30mpg haha, you must be thrilled.

By the way, is Cow Field a nickname of a place or is that the actual name of the town you're from?

Daekar 08-19-2013 06:34 PM

Thanks, I am happy about making progress!

Cow field is not really specific... I happen to be lucky enough to have farms that raise beef cattle on two sides of my property. :-)

Xist 08-19-2013 08:24 PM

So, you are specifically between two cow fields.

Will you kindly explain what a "Holler" is please, kind sir?

Daekar 08-19-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 386193)
So, you are specifically between two cow fields.

Will you kindly explain what a "Holler" is please, kind sir?

A "holler" is a vernacular term peculiar to parts of Appalachia and the Southern United States that refers to a small localized valley or depression. Like many colloquial words I've run across, I'm not certain of the origin, but I conjecture that it is a corruption of the word "hollow," which I believe is British in source. The definition is somewhat elastic, and for non-locals it's generally easier to avoid the word and use familiar substitutes, but I've found that it is much easier to gain acceptance to a group by taking the trouble to learn and adopt certain aspects of their speech when around them. They feel more comfortable around people who speak like they do.

I have found that most Appalachian words and phrases are quaintly human and useful in their proper context, and are often effectively descriptive or efficient in nature. While many would make a grammarian flush in shame thanks to their function as multiple parts of speech, they are nonetheless effective methods of communicating concepts between those familiar with the terms.

elhigh 08-20-2013 08:54 AM

I don't live in a holler but there is a road about a mile from me, the name on the street sign is Pumpkin Holler Road.

I've almost gotten to the point where I've forgotten what "holler" is supposed to actually be when you spell it. When the DOT comes along and spells it "holler" it really doesn't make much difference anymore.

We'll know things have hit a tipping point if they replace the sign with one that reads "Punkin Holler Road."

euromodder 08-20-2013 01:13 PM

Dutch immigrant region ?

Holle weg is the Dutch term for a hollow road.

Daekar 08-20-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 386276)
Dutch immigrant region ?

I believe the dominant settlers in this area were Scottish/Irish and German. The Dutch generally stopped migration several hundred miles north of here, more in Pennsylvania than Virginia and further south. Still, there is no reason to think that the Dutch linguistic influence couldn't have extended a good deal further than the primary settlement areas. It could indeed be derived from "Holle weg."

Taking the source with a grain of salt, the Urban Dictionary states that it is derived from the word "hollow." Still, the similarity of the Dutch would lead me to think that the English and Dutch terms both have a similar Germanic root that was native to Northern Europe and spread westward with the Angles, Jutes, Saxons, Danes, or other previous tribes. Words descriptive of landscape features would certainly travel with the people who used them.

elhigh 08-21-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 386276)
Dutch immigrant region ?

Redneck region, but thanks for the loftier assumption. Lots of Scottish settlers in this area back in the day, and some English.

I don't know the etymology of the word "hollow" and I'm a little too time constrained to dig into it, but all up and down the Appalachian range, to the best of my knowledge "hollow" has always meant a small valley, esp. a valley that comes to an end or pocket.

My wife says "holler" often fits because if you need to talk to your neighbors you can just lean out the door and yell across the valley to them. Hopefully that will never go away because "Pumpkin Skype Road" just doesn't have any poetry to it.

NachtRitter 08-21-2013 10:50 AM

Congrats on hitting the 50mpg mark! A few tweaks and you should be able to get to a 60mpg tank no problem.