EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Finally got up the nerve (to do P&G) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/finally-got-up-nerve-do-p-g-4185.html)

homeworkhome53 07-30-2008 03:33 PM

Finally got up the nerve (to do P&G)

Today I finally got up the nerve to do a full pulse and glide, not actually. I pg all but the hiway (12 miles at 45mph) in and got such good results that I did the full way home, That's 52.4 miles round trip on .82 gals for 63.9mpg. I'm hooked and my average speed was better that my regular style which was getting me 50-53 mpg. I need a kill switch that doesn't kill my odometer. I lose miles during the kill until it's back on, but i know the exact mileage.

homeworkhome53

MetroMPG 07-30-2008 04:47 PM

Congrats on the giant leap!

Doesn't your odometer continue functioning as soon as you switch the key back to "run" after the engine stops?

99CamryPilot 07-30-2008 04:58 PM

So your odometer doesn't record the mileage when doing EOC? I would have thought even the electronic odometers would still keep recording without main power...

Maybe I've got a Ferris Bueller mind here - just put it in reverse and the miles will come right off!!

homeworkhome53 07-30-2008 06:31 PM

Yes, but the effect is cumulative and at about 100+ yards per kill it adds up. Even the old eocing I was doing was shorting the odo reading about .3 miles per trip one way. With pg, triple that at least. It loses milage until you turn the key back on an if you turn it on to quickly the engine comes back to life. I usually leasve it off for a 5 count.

homeworkhome53

Vince-HX 07-30-2008 08:32 PM

Sounds like someone needs a kill switch:thumbup:

I don't have a kill switch yet and the same thing happens to me, and sometimes my Honda just doesn't want to die and starts up again so I end up doing the whole key cycle a few times.

Maybe wire the gauge cluster for constant power with a switch?

MetroMPG 07-30-2008 09:05 PM

Vince - you're right. Kill switch is the way to go.

Bearleener 07-31-2008 11:13 AM

I kill the engine by momentarily interrupting the signal from the Hall transducer on the distributor. The ECU uses this signal to know what the engine speed is and when cylinder #1 is at top dead center, for timing the injector pulses; with no signal the ECU thinks the engine's not running and stops injecting. On my car the signal is on a yellow-and-green wire accessible in the engine bay on the firewall. I installed the stop button above the ashtray on the center console, next to my start button, which runs the starter if I can't bump start (see photo in my car's garage). I do have to keep the stop button pushed for about 1 second until the engine's really stopped to prevent it starting itself up again; I could probably rig a capacitor arrangement or so to hold it open automatically.

homeworkhome53 07-31-2008 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for thanks for the info. I have vacation next week and a kill switch is on the todo list but i need to fish, it's been a dry spell. Tonight the numbers are very good, but tomorrow I will fill up and see exactly what's going on. Today I traveled 26.4 miles and the scangauge reads .70 gallons of gas consumed. That's 74.85 mpg. This is like a drug and myu speed over ground is much higher and the driving is much more interesting. If I get a vehicle coming up behind me I just drop back to a steady 42 mpg and le them go around. Otherwise I accelerate to 50 and coast down to 35 The scangauge actually recorded that 's I drove 25.4 miles, so the engine was off more that half the distance during the commute while the acceleration was more robust. About half this tank was the old drive slow watch the scangauge, eoc the hills, The other half was pure p&g. Better mpg is a high priority but it will never displace this. Sorry I know it's way off topic, but I'm physicd

homeworkhome53

MetroMPG 07-31-2008 09:15 PM

bearleener: that's exactly how I rigged my kill switch.

hwh: sounds like you've definitely caught the P&G bug. I remember I had the same response when I first started doing it. Now I'm trying to mod the car so that it gets "good enough" fuel economy without having to do it!

homeworkhome53 08-01-2008 04:32 PM

P&G throws the scangauge off. The scangauge is usually within .1 gallons at fill up. It was .5 gallons low this time 4.4 scangauge 4.911 actual). The mpg did improve, but not as damatcially as the daily number based on the scangauge would indicate. This was about 45% p&g. From the numbers I was getting I thought 56-57 over all. It was 53.75, Bought a kill switch and will wire it into the fuse block so that only the fuel pump is effected. Then see what happens.
hoimeworkhome53