Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quick and dirty fiberglass help?

I have NO experience. Anyone got helpful links, ideas, or even know where I can pick up the stuff I'll need? Nothing big, just wheel skirts.

<3

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
fiberglass

Without a mold to layup a part,here's what I ended up doing.I washed the CRX good,and applied three-coats of Maquire's 100 % carnuba wax over the area I'd be glassing( Johnson's Wax also makes a 100 % carnuba wax ).[ Note: poly vinyl alcohol PVA is best for a release agent,and can be purchased at boat supply stores,also Wick's and Aircraft Spruce ].I cut and masking-taped a cardboard mock-up of the wheel skirt to the car.I pre-cut BONDO bi-axial fiberglass cloth ( got mine at Home Depot ) and masking taped that over the wheel area,including the quarter panel bulge.I measured and added the MEK Peroxide catalyst as per label instructions to BONDO polyester resin ( Home Depot ) and applied with China Bristle brush.I did batches of about 8-ounces at a time as pot-life is short. I repeated with BONDO glass mat,then did final glass cloth lamination.The brush was cleaned with acetone between layups,and I used disposable plastic cups for mixing the resin.Nitrile gloves will protect your skin,and good ventilation will protect your lungs,as MEK is very toxic!!!!!!!!!! I let the whole thing cure overnight,then peeled the skirts off the next day,and trimmed with sander.BONDO,body filler can be used to smooth the glass,as per label directions. After much grinding,filling,and sanding, spray primer and body-color auto paint can be applied to finish the skirts.These supplies can be found at the likes of O'Riley's Auto Parts,Auto Zone,Pep Boy's,etc..Epoxy is better than polyester if you can handle the price differential.Stir resin slowly as you do not want to entrain air into it.Bondo resin paddles can be used to squeegy resin into the cloth,and there is a special serrated resin roller which works the resin into the glass matrix.I wear a DeVillibis cartridge-style respirator with replaceable organic vapor cartridges.Use lots of ventilation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Work safe,have fun!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White 07 Civic - '07 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.87 mpg (US)
http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/

Thats a good source for glassing supplies.
You can find local sources as well. Boat shop, Some paint shops, walmart's autobody section (overpriced).

It is also important to note that polyester resin disolves poly styrene. XPS (extruded poly styrene pink and blue insulation) EPS (styrofoam). If you plan on using these foams you must use epoxy. HD also sels polyurethane foam (cream color) both PE resin and epoxy are safe to use with PU foam.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am in the midst of my project and this is what I am doing. Version 2 with no unmolding works very well.