Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
Almighty's GP Mod Thread

I finally did something. I got sick of the cold mornings, and the 10 minutes till the cabin is partially warm. Found some old cardboard boxes, cut them up, and covered most of the grill/bumper openings. It's not pretty, I didn't paint them, I didn't even try to make the cuts straight or even. I just wanted to see how it would affect the warm up times.

You can easily see the white cardboard behind the upper grills, and the brown behind the lower.

See the simple screws? the lopsided mount? There are vents on the horizontal plane. This car has too much cooling.

It's functional, and ugly. If it works, I'll clean it up with plastic molded to the bumper, which I'll have to take off. Not an easy car to work on. I left one open, because it's a pain to get the cardboard to stay.

Just filled the tank, I'll drive the same (lots of throttle when I'm bored) and in 330 miles/3 weeks we'll see if it made a sizeable difference in warmup and mileage.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Good work -- I did that my first year of blocks, then graduated to discarded baking pans. It sure will make a difference, that's for sure.

Let us know how it works!

-Rick

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread