Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
radioranger

how to check aeromod efficency easily and quickly and cheaply

Been thinking about aeromodding for a while, about twenty years ago I had a ford van with the usual short hood nose , I had some access to some blocks of styrofoam so I made a extended nose for it , directing the air around to the side and a panel extending down to make the grille area a bit smaller, anyway how to check it, well with a friend I went out on the highway and crusied a steady 45 , after stabilizing the speed and reviewing the traffic , I would floor it when my co pilot said go, I would drive and watch the speedo and as soon as we hit 65 I would shout stop, setting the time for 45 to 65 MPH , we did this for about ten miles each way with and without the new nose pieces, averaged around 12 percent better times with the new nose, and a lot more downforce on the front of the truck , think of how they made the UPS trucks look and you have it, anyway that is a way I think to check without any special equipment or danger,

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
radioranger

I forgot to mention we used a stopwatch ,
Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
A reverse coast down. Hopefully your engine power is the same for each test, just one more variable to control.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
radioranger

checking aeromods

That would work too, just not as dramatic. !!anybody out there try to put a small rowboat on the back of their pickup as a cheap aero tail , I tried it by accident a long time ago , bringing my 7 ft rowboat to the shore on the back of my ranger , upside down and nose of the boat hanging over the back of the tailgate, It seemed to really help but sold the boat a while back so cant confirm, could be a cheap eco mod and also you can always go fishing!

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
checking mod efficiency