Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheEgg - '18 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
90 day: 29.55 mpg (US)
Hi All

Hi, I just found this site through the TDI forums, but I currently drive a Mazda Protege5 and have been looking for ways to improve fuel economy. I generally haven't paid a lot of attention to my mileage, but recently I realized it was only 22 or 23 mpg, which seemed terrible for a 4-cyl manual, and I've been looking into ways to do better. I work as a bank courier, so I'd guess I do 75% city driving, and lots of short trips without time to let the engine warm up, which I'm sure doesn't help. I've seen in the garage section a couple of members have done better than 30 mpg in cars like mine, so I will be working on it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Welcome to Em

City Driving definitly is tougher to get good mpg in but can be just as rewarding to 5speed cars as highway with enough technique biggest advice for city

pump up your tires
Lighten the car
engine off at lights

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheEgg - '18 Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium
90 day: 29.55 mpg (US)
Might be silly to update my own introduction, but I want to thank everyone for the wealth of info here, especially the hypermiling tips page. I went from getting 250 miles a tank to over 400, and for the most part the change in driving habits was pretty easy. It is astounding to think how much money and gas I have wasted over the years.

I had forgotten I found this site from the TDI forums. I have been researching new cars for a while, and as you can see from the sidebar, I have gotten a new Jetta, which with any luck will outperform the Mazda by a fair margin.

I had considered all the really small cars, and thought of waiting for the new Mirage (and even joined the Mirage forum) but after taking a long road trip in a rented Yaris, I decided I did need something bigger as my primary vehicle. My new goal: fill up only once every 3 weeks!

Reply  Post New Thread