EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   First Engine Pull (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/first-engine-pull-31636.html)

Lionstrike 03-30-2015 12:17 AM

First Engine Pull

Hi all,

I am converting a 1994 Ford Ranger to electric. I just built Paul's Open Revolt Controller (that was awesome by the way) and now I am on to the next step...

...the engine pull... (queue dramatic music).

I have NEVER done an engine pull. Ever. It's intimidating. A lot.

Now there are two things to mention.

#1) I know a guy who said he'd do it for me. He didn't mention a price. He just said that he'd be reasonable.

#2) I live in a condo complex.... not sure how the home owners association would feel about me dissecting a car right out there in the parking lot.

Should I just pay the guy to do it for me? ... or should I just get an engine hoist and go through this?

What do you think?

Baltothewolf 03-30-2015 02:18 AM

It's not a tremendous amount of work with the proper tools, but it is very time consuming. A buddy of mine can pull and put back in an engine in 4 hours in Foxbody Mustangs, but he has done it 10-15 times so, it's no big deal. It's not something you want to try to do in some parking lot or in a parking garage. Pay your buddy to do it. Let him keep the engine (if it's still in good shape) and try to work out some sort of trade.

[Edit]: Please keep us updated on your progress, I must admit I'm very curious about how this ends up turning out.

Lionstrike 03-30-2015 02:35 AM

Cool. Thanks for the advice.

It got it in running condition for $650. The guy said that it has some exhaust problems (which I could care less about).

I soldered up that controller and since I built a couple of electric bikes and motorcycles I think that after that motor gets mounted I am good to go.

I have no idea on what that's going to run me though :/

The_Jed 03-30-2015 07:39 AM

R&R a Foxbody engine in 4 hours? That's booking! He obviously knows what he's doing!

I took a LOT longer when I converted my old '91 4-cylinder, auto to a 5.0, 5-speed.

Now a GC Impreza? That's cake. I can have a 1.8,2.2 or 2.5 out in an hour or so. :)

Are you going to run the electric motor through the Ranger's o.e. transmission?

Lionstrike 03-30-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jed (Post 473586)
Are you going to run the electric motor through the Ranger's o.e. transmission?

That's the plan. I have an Advanced DC FB-4001. If you have a minute, go to evalbum.com and browse around. It seems to be standard for light trucks.

I've debated on clutched versus clutchless though. I think that it's going to be clutchless.

War_Wagon 03-30-2015 01:28 PM

I agree with getting someone else to do it. Not so much because of the difficulty, but because of where you'd have to do it. The strata would probably fine you, just to start. And it seems to me that no matter how many engine swaps I do or help with, someone always forgets to drain something, and you end up with at least one small spill of oil, ATF, power steering fluid, coolant etc. Add a stain in the parking lot to the already angry strata, man it's not worth the grief!