EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   First Gen Insight Build Thread (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/first-gen-insight-build-thread-34751.html)

dfeldt91 01-11-2017 02:50 AM

First Gen Insight Build Thread

2000 Honda Insight
183k miles
Manual
Best Trip: 83.1mpg over 100+ miles

I picked up an Insight for $3100 with some extra filters, 2 brand new Potenza RE92's, a full size spare, Kicker hidden subwoofer, aftermarket head unit and speakers, a cruise control system, and a grid charger. I sold the cruise control kit and audio equipment to recoup some money and lighten the car for better economy.

To Do
  • Install new tires
  • Wire clutch switch to disable charging
  • Rewire regen button
  • Fix light DRL that is out
  • Finalize injector kill switch wiring
  • Remove intake expansion thing under driver headlight
  • Install hot air intake
  • Replace shocks
  • Lower vehicle
  • Inflate tires to 50 PSI
  • Delete rear wiper motor and wiring
  • Delete AC system
  • Replace/fix engine mounts
  • Add more to the under tray

Completed Modifications
  • Removed rear wiper
  • Removed/sold the subwoofer, box and amp
  • Removed/sold the cruise control kit
  • Installed an injector kill switch
  • Plastidipped inside of rear windows for pitch black windows

This is Kelly. My ex(and now best friend) named her for me:
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...b9&oe=59249B4E
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...a2&oe=5911231A
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...7f&oe=591FAF9C
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...a3&oe=59102351
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...d8&oe=590E1D06

cowmeat 01-11-2017 04:43 AM

Quote:

The first owner installed a push button to enable full regen.
You should consider installing one of Daox's 3-button shift knobs. Here's the link to my install of the first one he made off hiS 3D printer. It makes the Insight experience a lot more fun, and makes it way easier to hypermile it

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post467947

Natalya 01-11-2017 11:19 AM

Got any photos?

Baltothewolf 01-11-2017 02:07 PM

Get a hybrid automotive grid charger and harness ASAP. I recommend one discharge(to 100v) and recharge cycle immediately. You don't know what condition the battery really is in, and preventative maintenance is key with these little cars.

dfeldt91 01-12-2017 09:31 AM

Pictures shortly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 531744)
Get a hybrid automotive grid charger and harness ASAP.

The previous owner included a grid charger and it has the harness already installed. The guy really seemed to take care of the car while he owned it for the past three years. I'll look up the process for it and figure it out!

NoD~ 01-12-2017 09:49 AM

Sounds like a deal. Get those pics up ASAP! ;)

dfeldt91 01-13-2017 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoD~ (Post 531830)
Sounds like a deal. Get those pics up ASAP! ;)

Pics are up! Now time to begin the process of modifying this mpg beast.

Daox 01-13-2017 03:39 PM

Looks very nice! (and familiar haha) I'm looking forward to see what you do with it. :thumbup:

dfeldt91 01-14-2017 05:18 PM

Is anyone interested in buying the aftermarket cruise control kit that is installed on this thing?

Here is a link to it:

2000-2006 Honda Insight Complete Rostra Cruise Control Kit

dfeldt91 01-17-2017 04:34 PM

I filled the tank the day after I bought the car and am currently at 465. Doing some math, I have used 7.5 gallons for an average of 62 mpg. I'll be driving to the airport 110 miles away tonight so with an average 80mpg on the highway I should hit just barely over 700 miles for my first 10.5 gallon tank.

I'm trying to get double what I was getting in the VW before it died, so anything over 640 miles for this tank will be awesome!

cowmeat 01-17-2017 05:47 PM

I had a dozen 700+ mile tanks in Ron Burgundy, and over 25 70+ mpg tanks in a row

They're pretty amazing cars, and once you realize just how easy they are to hypermile, it becomes addictive!

I still miss that Insight a little

dfeldt91 01-26-2017 01:50 PM

Recently, I removed the aftermarket cruise control (Which is available for purchase if interested) and the engine cover. I checked the previous owners wiring of the regen switch and accidentally messed it up so it no longer works. Will need to fix that now. Need to get in and do the injector kill switch as well.

I decided to take a roadtrip from Eugene down to San Diego. On the way there I had a second person and his gear with me. Maybe an extra 300 pounds. The car was not happy and wouldn't stay in lean burn at highway speeds. It liked the hills even less. Got about 50 MPG on the way down.

On the way back, at 2050 pounds including myself, about 50 or so pounds of gear and almost half a tank of gas, I averaged 69 miles per gallon for 1150 miles through death valley and the mountains. It was actually up to almost 70 mpg, but I wanted the last 100 miles to go much quicker so I could get to my bed!

Pulled out the hidden subwoofer and amp, then removed the rear cargo mat for a total of 33.1 pounds removed. Going to start looking into removing the A/C components. The AC system is around 30 pounds I think.

dfeldt91 01-28-2017 11:11 AM

New trip best: 83.1 MPG over 100 miles. It was still climbing a bit as the trip ended.

60 miles per hour behind a big rig.

Daox 01-28-2017 12:30 PM

Very nice!

dfeldt91 01-30-2017 04:05 PM

Yesterday I got an injector kill switch wired in. It's just a temporary setup though, as it is a wire to a switch, no relay.

The cool part is you can drive in electric only mode when the injectors are killed. If I use too much assist then it disables the assist function til I turn the key off and on.

cowmeat 01-30-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

The cool part is you can drive in electric only mode when the injectors are killed. If I use too much assist then it disables the assist function til I turn the key off and on.
I've had two G1 Insights and I don't understand what you mean. With a standard kill switch/clutch switch set-up you click the clutch switch to override the autostart, then depress the momentary kill switch.
Basically at that point you're running down the road in neutral with the lights running off the 12V with a bunch of idiot lights on the dash and your headlights a little dimmer. You lose the brakes after a couple of pumps, and you lose the EPS until the IMA restarts.
What assist are you getting?

dfeldt91 01-30-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmeat (Post 533316)
I've had two G1 Insights and I don't understand what you mean. With a standard kill switch/clutch switch set-up you click the clutch switch to override the autostart, then depress the momentary kill switch.
Basically at that point you're running down the road in neutral with the lights running off the 12V with a bunch of idiot lights on the dash and your headlights a little dimmer. You lose the brakes after a couple of pumps, and you lose the EPS until the IMA restarts.
What assist are you getting?

The car acts as if the engine is still running as far as the IMA is concerned. IMA still works and I am able to start from a stop or coast further with the engine off using only the electric motor. I also keep electric steering while this is going on.

cowmeat 01-30-2017 06:16 PM

I've never heard of being able to do that in a G1 Insight, not sure how that's even possible. Isn't the IMA motor connected to the drive shaft? I thought that's how it started with the ICE motor i.l.o. the 12V starter doing it
I would have loved to take off from a dead stop using only IMA power (although at 13 hp it would be mighty slow).

dfeldt91 01-30-2017 06:48 PM

IT is very slow. I was stopped at a light and forgot to switch the kill switch back off so I started to go and thought I was going to get the horn from the people behind me but didn't.

Also, the car is in gear so you are right in regards to the motor driving the shaft.

I'll get out and get a video when I'm able to.

It's cool being able to get going without using the gas but it is definitely too slow to be of use in a city unless you are pointed downhill and have gravity on your side also.

Natalya 01-30-2017 07:25 PM

I have no idea how you accomplished this. Does the ECU think the engine is running? Do you have a check engine light?

There is a way, using a clutch switch, to get the car rolling with the IMA motor only if you run out of gas, but I don't think that's what you've done here.

By the way, check the replies in your other thread about the Auto-Stop button.

EricDeLee 02-12-2017 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfeldt91 (Post 532135)
Is anyone interested in buying the aftermarket cruise control kit that is installed on this thing?

Here is a link to it:

I am interested. Sent you a PM. May want to just email me though

dfeldt91 02-13-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricDeLee (Post 534308)
I am interested. Sent you a PM. May want to just email me though

PM and Email sent.