EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Fisker Pear EV SUV is supposed to seat 6 and start under $30,000. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fisker-pear-ev-suv-supposed-seat-6-start-41040.html)

Xist 08-04-2023 01:14 AM

Fisker Pear EV SUV is supposed to seat 6 and start under $30,000.

1 Attachment(s)
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1691125828
Quote:

The Pear promises a starting price of less than $30,000. This subcompact crossover isn't much smaller than the Ocean, but it's been stripped down and will be built on a new lightweight, low-cost platform.

Fisker says that it represents a 35-percent reduction in parts versus traditional manufacturing. In practice, that should amount to a fairly basic package, but a glimpse inside the Pear at the event provided assurances that it'll still deliver on style. A six-seat interior layout will be available, which swaps the two front bucket seats for a three-across bench. We spotted attractive cloth upholstery and a two-tone dashboard design with bright blue accent coloring.

In front, Fisker has designed a novel drawer-style front trunk; around back, in lieu of a traditional SUV liftgate, you'll find a motorized retractable panel which drops entirely out of the way behind the rear bumper.
https://i.imgur.com/UB0j5n7.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/UB0j5n7.jpg
Quote:

The company's plan is to build the Pear in Ohio at Foxconn's Lordstown assembly plant, which would make it eligible for federal tax incentives. Start of production is said to be targeted around mid-2025, but the company's leader told Car and Driver that there is still a lot to finalize before the SUV is ready for prime time.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...aska-revealed/

freebeard 08-04-2023 01:53 AM

Not impressed by the dispappearing tasilgate:

https://external-content.duckduckgo....ec0&ipo=images
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?....&ipo=images

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-06-2023 01:00 AM

Looks so weird it makes the Pontiac Aztek seem beautiful...

Piotrsko 08-06-2023 09:40 AM

Rear end that and you total the car

redpoint5 08-06-2023 01:03 PM

That fulfills my requirement of 6+ seating. Always hated that practically all cars waste space by putting an electronic shifter and electronic parking brake in the center console instead of just having another seat available there. Make it like my truck where you either get a middle seat, or you fold the back down and have an armrest and cup holder.

Don't know why the description of all these EVs refer to how it compares to the "Ocean", as if anyone knows what that is. I've never seen an Ocean on the street, and only heard about it here.

The hatch looks awkward and inefficient. Hatch openings need to be as big as possible, even if that means it isn't exactly a square.

Finally, I've never heard of this car company. Didn't know the company that makes gardening tools also makes cars. Guess that's not so strange because a piano company makes motorcycles.

rmay635703 08-06-2023 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 686581)
That fulfills my requirement of 6+ seating. Always hated that practically all cars waste space by putting an electronic shifter and electronic parking brake in the center console instead of just having another seat available there. Make it like my truck where you either get a middle seat, or you fold the back down and have an armrest and cup holder.

Don't know why the description of all these EVs refer to how it compares to the "Ocean", as if anyone knows what that is. I've never seen an Ocean on the street, and only heard about it here.

The hatch looks awkward and inefficient. Hatch openings need to be as big as possible, even if that means it isn't exactly a square.

Finally, I've never heard of this car company. Didn't know the company that makes gardening tools also makes cars. Guess that's not so strange because a piano company makes motorcycles.

Fiskar has been in and out of business multiple times with several vehicle failures like the Karma.

Xist 08-06-2023 05:21 PM

Quote:

I posted this on Imgur just to share the GIF here and everyone claimed that this would fail immediately.

"Everyone is saying the same thing. I am going to say it slightly differently and hope for fake Internet points."

The only worthwhile comments were:
Quote:

That seems pretty overengineered
Quote:

If that's a concept car, then yeah, that's the point.
It may fail if it ever makes it to market with this feature, but more importantly, the design itself is a failure.

Tell me that you never really use your hatchback without saying you never really use your hatchback.

freebeard 08-06-2023 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703
Fisk[e]r has been in and out of business multiple times with several vehicle failures like the Karma.

Fiskers were burning up en masse before it was cool.

Quote:

https://news.yahoo.com › news › bp › fisker-karma-evs-caught-hurricane-sandy-floods-catch-161400037.html
Fisker Karma EVs caught in Hurricane Sandy floods catch fire, burn
Flood-damaged cars can be a disaster in any situation, but the Fisker fire reveals another unique challenge of electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids. The Karma's battery pack, built by bankrupt battery maker A123 Systems, ...

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-09-2023 12:15 AM

Quote:

Guess that's not so strange because a piano company makes motorcycles.

Yamaha? Nowadays it's making some motorcycles which are better than Honda.

Hersbird 08-10-2023 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 686633)
Yamaha? Nowadays it's making some motorcycles which are better than Honda.

IMO everything Yamaha makes is better than Honda. Honda is overrated, good, but overrated.

redpoint5 08-10-2023 01:13 AM

Better, how?

BTW, I'm not dismissing the comment. I wanted an R1 terribly when I was in high school. One kid had one, and I thought that was insanity.

I have a high regard for all the Japanese brands except the ones that rhyme with Ritsubishi. I have medium-high regard for that brand. Same for Mazda I suppose.

It's insane the number of successful automotive companies a country the size of California has.

Piotrsko 08-10-2023 10:03 AM

Mitsubishi heavy equipment builds pretty much everything from electronics to housewares. Just different labels and trim doodads.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-11-2023 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 686679)
IMO everything Yamaha makes is better than Honda. Honda is overrated, good, but overrated.

I was thinking about it yesterday, while I spotted a first-generation Yamaha YBR 125. It was already OHC while the Honda CG 125 still resorted to a pushrod engine, which I don't hate, but the Yamaha was surprisingly modern by the standards of that time in Brazil... Not to mention Yamaha had been so closely tied to "ancient" yet reliable (as long as it can be said about 2-stroke engines) motorcycles, and it still holds for a long time to some engine designs, with few improvements once in a while. The 250cc which used to be fitted to the XT 250 Serow is still soldiering on in Brazil for instance.

redpoint5 08-11-2023 11:30 PM

Yamaha doesn't make cars, so my only frame of reference is motorcycles. As far as bikes go, the Big 4 all seem to be at about parity as far as I can tell.

The first bike I rode was my dad's CB750, and a friend a few years older had a Honda CBR600 that looked amazing to me, so I followed suit and bought a Honda F4i. I'm probably never going to sell it.

...my to-do list includes the many minor things I need to replace on that CB750. That was a sweet ride.

aerohead 08-14-2023 12:03 PM

'gardening tools'

Quote:

It's FISKER, not FISKAR.
Henrik Fisker in a pretty big deal in design circles. He co-designed the 2004 Aston Martin DB9 with Ian Callum. He's done a stint as designer with VLF Automotive. I saw one of his Fisker Kharma on the West Coast a few weeks ago. Steyr MAGNA of Austria is helping with the manufacturing side of design.
The PEAR will go head-to-head with Chevy's upcoming Equinox BEV. The affordable Tesla that never materialized. Yet.
The OCEAN is to be the lowest drag SUV ever sold. The PEAR may have some aero bragging rights. We'll see.

redpoint5 08-14-2023 12:54 PM

Chevy beat Tesla to the $35k EV back in 2017.

Tesla had a $35k Model 3 off-menu for about a year or so.

The price of everything is dismaying to me.

freebeard 08-14-2023 02:20 PM

Quote:

The price of everything is dismaying to me.
That Creature from Jekyll Island, inflation is the cruelest tax of all.

The Arcimoto FUV is up $2K. It was one half of $35K.

redpoint5 08-14-2023 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 686822)
That Creature from Jekyll Island, inflation is the cruelest tax of all.

Inflation is an excellent tool for the redistributionists. It takes from careful savers like me, while rewarding those who have spent everything and gone into debt.

While fast food workers pay nearly doubled, most other working fools (myself included) haven't seen their pay adjust for inflation.

The middle-class; the group most often paying for political malfeasance and ineptitude.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-15-2023 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 686735)
Yamaha doesn't make cars

Yet it co-developed engines with Ford and Toyota, including the last V8 used by Volvo.

redpoint5 08-15-2023 01:31 AM

Engine building is arguably what comprises an automotive company.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-23-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 686842)
Engine building is arguably what comprises an automotive company.

Yet outsourcing used to be a thing, and still is for some small-scale automakers catering to certain segments. Odd enough, the long-gone AMC resorted to a Chevrolet engine in South Africa to meet local content regulations, and Toyota even used Mercedes-Benz engines in Brazil.

redpoint5 08-23-2023 02:09 PM

I almost think outsourcing the drivetrain is a recipe for failure. That's the secret sauce; not bending metal into a slightly different shape than other companies.

Funny that Delorean called his company the Delorean Motor Company when that was the part they outsourced. Should have been called the Delorean Shell Company.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-23-2023 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 686997)
I almost think outsourcing the drivetrain is a recipe for failure. That's the secret sauce; not bending metal into a slightly different shape than other companies.

It used to work quite well for most truck makers, and it may become relevant once again for emissions compliance. Nowadays even Isuzu outsources Cummins engines...

freebeard 08-23-2023 02:52 PM

(auto)(mobile)

The motor is important, of course; but suspension and steering are what make it happen.

Further down the list are the 'Paris dressmakers' and, it turns out dealer and service networks, and advertising.

GM is whittled down to a financing entity, GMAC.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-24-2023 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 687005)
The motor is important, of course; but suspension and steering are what make it happen

Suspension, steering, brakes, tires, the list goes on...