EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Florida - things to see? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/florida-things-see-37330.html)

Vman455 03-12-2019 07:56 PM

Florida - things to see?

I've cleared my work schedule next week so I can take an actual spring break now that I'm back in school. I decided to take a road trip to Florida since I've never been before. Aside from the usual beaches, Everglades, whatnot, anything I should plan on seeing/doing? Any Florida people on here?

redpoint5 03-12-2019 08:39 PM

I'm far from an expert, but I generally dislike Florida because it's humid, flat and in places like Miami, vain.

That said, I enjoyed Key West quite a lot, and my favorite SCUBA dive ever was at the Vandenburg wreck. It was my deepest sport dive, yet the water was so clear and warm enough that I only needed swim shorts.

The 2 most expensive beers I've ever bought were in Miami, at something like $14 each, and one of those at the Ritz (where I was not staying). Their "craft" beer was a Stella. Very disappointing, but that was 10 years ago. I'm sure things have improved since then.

ksa8907 03-12-2019 09:01 PM

What area are you visiting? We have been to panama city a couple times, nice, but very touristy. We liked Sarasota a lot, the keys in that area are great too. When our kids are older, I would really like to visit more of the historical places in FL.

Ecky 03-13-2019 08:19 AM

I grew up in and traveled all over Florida. As far as I'm concerned if I never saw it again I wouldn't shed a tear, but I realize it's different visiting a place than growing up there.

What kinds of things do you like? Disney has a huge set of complexes west of Orlando which are pretty popular. Key West and St Augustine are both neat, with Key West being (IMO) the better of the two. The springs in the Ocala national forest are gorgeous - my favorite was Juniper.

I tended to like the east coast beaches better. Those on the west are typically whiter, finer sand, but are also far more crowded.

Vman455 03-13-2019 12:53 PM

I'm thinking Everglades/Big Cypress, so mostly Miami area, maybe a day in Key West. I'm not one for things like theme parks, but I like beaches, nature areas, and museums.

freebeard 03-14-2019 12:58 AM

https://news.yahoo.com/spacex-crew-d...120100698.html

They're supposed to turn the Crew Dragon around for an abort test. Maybe it's next week.

Natalya 03-18-2019 11:43 PM

+1 to a rocket launch or landing. I saw (and heard!! BOOM BOOM) a space shuttle orbiter land when I was a little kid in the 90's, it was the coolest thing!!

Ecky 03-19-2019 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalya (Post 593983)
+1 to a rocket launch or landing. I saw (and heard!! BOOM BOOM) a space shuttle orbiter land when I was a little kid in the 90's, it was the coolest thing!!

I grew up in the shadow of the space center and saw/heard every one go up. It was always something special.

Fat Charlie 03-19-2019 07:54 PM

Plenty of opportunities to see Florida Man in his natural habitat.

All Darc 03-19-2019 08:27 PM

Or what remains of it...

It took about 30% less fuel to launch rockets from equator. Your president want to launch USA rockets from a Brazil's base near equator line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 594057)
Plenty of opportunities to see Florida Man in his natural habitat.

freebeard 03-20-2019 12:17 AM

The Florida Man well is bottomless. :)
Quote:

...from a Brazil's base near equator line
Which one is that? Or would one have to be built? Paging Elon Musk.

Trump and Bolsonaro seem to get along well.

All Darc 03-20-2019 01:12 AM

It's the base of Alcantara :

https://www.oitomeia.com.br/wp-conte...C3%A2ntara.jpg

https://oimparcial.com.br/media/2019...a-1024x768.jpg

But unles they rebuild it they will only manage launch small rockets for satelites, and no rockets for carry ships with astronauts, so USA would still depends on Russia rockets.

Bolsonaro it's just a fool, but the leftwing opponent was as bad.
Trump probably see hin as a idiot to exploit somehow.

Frank Lee 03-21-2019 01:35 AM

My Fla faves were Epcot Center and the Space Center.

redpoint5 03-21-2019 04:27 AM

Oooh, Frank's just given me a reason to return. 2 reasons.

I'll have to plan a trip when the kids are old enough to appreciate Disneyworld.

All Darc 03-21-2019 12:42 PM

One more brazilian former president arrested. Michel Temer.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-investigation

redpoint5 03-21-2019 01:38 PM

Arrested in Florida?

Fat Charlie 03-21-2019 03:02 PM

We kept Noriega in prison in Florida. Maybe that's where foreign heads of state go for jail?

All Darc 03-21-2019 04:00 PM

No...
But we talked previouslt a bit about Trump and Bolsonaro and Alcantara Base (30% less fuel required for rockets), so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 594227)
Arrested in Florida?

You can take our prisioneers to Alcatraz or in the British's Devil Isand. They would be better in such places than on Brazil, since our Supreme Court loves rich powerfull criminal and always act in their favor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 594233)
We kept Noriega in prison in Florida. Maybe that's where foreign heads of state go for jail?

freebeard 03-21-2019 06:40 PM

There is Florida and then there is Broward County. :eek:

From Meyer Lansky to the James Gunn/Sheriff Israel false flag (to bury the story about the shoot-out at the front gate of the NSA mere hours earlier — Broward County delivers). This weeks news is the that the Stoneman Douglas school principal went down and Shaquille O'Neal was trotted out as a new deputy.

Florida Man Pleads Guilty to Mailing Pipe Bombs to Prominent Democrats, CNN

Vman455 03-23-2019 10:38 PM

Well, I'm back! No rockets were launched while I was there (the next Florida launch is SpaceX on April 25); I'll have to go back sometime to see that. But I did camp in the Everglades and lay on the beach for a couple days, and visited the National Corvette Museum on my way down and the Lane Motor Museum on the way back. Trip mpg was 50.7, using mostly cruise set at 70 mph.

freebeard 03-24-2019 11:52 AM

What did you see at the Lane?

Vman455 03-25-2019 10:11 AM

EVERYTHING. I'll make a separate thread about it later today or tomorrow.

jcp123 03-25-2019 02:29 PM

I wasn't a Florida fan until I visited the Emerald Coast last year. Honestly, if I went back, it would be in the Panama City/Destin area. Remember they had a hurricane since I was there, so it probably isn't in prime condition, but hanging out on those gorgeous beaches is what it's all about for me, and I'm sure they could use the tourist $ thrown their way.

I did have a great time at an alligator farm. They morning tour before they opened is probably more for kids than adults, but I wouldn't be surprised if I had an even better time than my daughter did.