EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   FLOW-IMAGES ( brain food - various wind tunnel, tuft testing, smoke trace images) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/flow-images-brain-food-various-wind-tunnel-tuft-11504.html)

aerohead 12-19-2009 03:42 PM

FLOW-IMAGES ( brain food - various wind tunnel, tuft testing, smoke trace images)

I'll start the text portion of this thread and then hopefully,Al can help get all the images up.
Night before last I got the slide digitizer going and captured some images,then I pulled the SD card,stuck it in the camera and shot for three hours this morning,photographing photographs.
It's just a hogde-podge of images,some hydrodynamic,most aerodynamic.
Sources are listed in my seminars.
Some shots are two-dimensional flow from FLUIDs,most three-dimensional,done in a water or wind tunnel.
You'll see the "golf-ball" phenomena,with water and smoke as boundary layer transitions.
You'll see some good separation images as with the wing going into stall.
Many of the cars will display flows which do not appear to lay close to the body surface,indicating separated flow,and an underlying region of vorticity.
The Volkswagen AG shots will show Hucho's Optimization of details to achieve attached flow with subtle softening of leading edges.
Some of the wake shots will help to visualize the wake drag.
Three of Dr. Kamm's cars are shown.I believe the light shaded car with tufts to be the K-5 car which achieved Cd0.23.The color photograph is of K-3 from Landsberg Castle,the only surviving car of Kamm's five.
The EV-1 was of special interest.I have only the one image which I interpret to display clearly separated flow at the rear.
If we can get the images up,and anyone has question for when I return,Try and isolate the particular image from the rest so we can single it out for discussion.
Also,you might want to compare some of the images to MetroMPG's Permanent Metro Kammback or the Aerodynamic Streamlining Template to see if there is any trend with the cars with fully attached flow.
This will be my last post for maybe 3-weeks as I work to pull the trailer together and test her.Happy holidays!

aerohead 12-19-2009 04:33 PM

Photo Galley-1

9 Attachment(s)
Here are 1st 10

aerohead 12-19-2009 04:45 PM

Photo Gallery-2

11 Attachment(s)
more pics

aerohead 12-19-2009 04:48 PM

Photo Gallery-3

10 Attachment(s)
more pics( clock is running out,not enough left to photoshop rest,will have to wait 'til after holidays,sorry!)

Christ 12-19-2009 05:26 PM

Looking forward to the rest of the pics, aerohead!

MetroMPG 12-21-2009 04:16 PM

Thanks Phil! Is the EV1 image coming, or do we need to wait 3 weeks? :)

Happy holidays to you too. Good luck with the trailer, and thanks for all the brain food.

QuickLTD 12-21-2009 04:33 PM

http://www.treehugger.com/rumpler.jpg

aerohead 12-23-2009 12:31 PM

minutes away?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 149238)

Happy holidays to you too. Good luck with the trailer, and thanks for all the brain food.

I'm here at Copy Pro,I've got EV-1 and a slew of other images in the camera waiting on Al to finish his "real work".
I also got some shots this morning of the Trailer ala monochromatic for first time and I'll try and get those added at that thread.
Much to do,but this is important too and I'm going to take some risks on my trip,so posting this stuff is timely,just in case of something goes south on the road.

aerohead 12-23-2009 04:02 PM

Photo-Gallery-4

10 Attachment(s)
more pics:

aerohead 12-23-2009 04:06 PM

Photo Gallery-5

10 Attachment(s)
More pics:

aerohead 12-23-2009 04:11 PM

Photo Gallery-6

10 Attachment(s)
More pics:

aerohead 12-23-2009 04:17 PM

Photo Gallery-7

10 Attachment(s)
More pics:

aerohead 12-23-2009 04:22 PM

Photo Gallery-8

10 Attachment(s)
More more

aerohead 12-23-2009 04:27 PM

Photo Gallery-9

10 Attachment(s)
more more even

aerohead 12-23-2009 04:32 PM

Photo Gallery-10

10 Attachment(s)
even more:

aerohead 12-23-2009 04:35 PM

Photo Gallery-11

5 Attachment(s)
even even more

NeilBlanchard 12-23-2009 06:44 PM

What is the (approximate) Cd of the "bean" model in in photo 44 (in the first group of 5 galleries)? That arch is sure ugly, and it is counterintuitive. It seems like they were trying to raise the vehicle to let the air flow more freely under the car, but then still trying to "fair" the wheels...

cfg83 12-23-2009 07:26 PM

NeilBlanchard -

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 149700)
What is the (approximate) Cd of the "bean" model in in photo 44 (in the first group of 5 galleries)? That arch is sure ugly, and it is counterintuitive. It seems like they were trying to raise the vehicle to let the air flow more freely under the car, but then still trying to "fair" the wheels...

Here it is :

Would you Drive a Smart if ...
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 82560)
Frank -

Got it!

1978 Pininfarina Studio CNR (Pininfarina)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1231698787
Quote:

Compasso d’Oro Award 1979 for this Ideal Aerodynamic Shape, outcome of a theoretical experimental research project promoted by the National Research Italian Council. The outstanding drag coefficient (CD=0,20) allowed to achieve a substantial reduction in fuel consumption.

I would make the argument that the Pininfarina is a 4-wheeled Aptera Sedan (which complements what you wrote).

CarloSW2

NeilBlanchard 12-23-2009 09:37 PM

Thanks for that -- so a Cd of 0.20 is not as good as the the various GM and Ford cars that are of a similar size. And it's fugly...

cfg83 12-24-2009 02:36 AM

NeilBlanchard -

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 149718)
Thanks for that -- so a Cd of 0.20 is not as good as the the various GM and Ford cars that are of a similar size. And it's fugly...

Yeah, the banana car has stuck in my mind forever. That carstyling.ru site is FANTASTIC (Frank found it). My favorite part of the car magazines has always been the concept car pages, and the Russian site is like a smörgåsbord of just that.

CarloSW2

aerohead 12-30-2009 04:01 PM

If you need anything screwed up,I'm the guy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 149238)

Darin,man I'm really sorry! I did another session with the photos,and EV-1 was supposed to the the first one out of the shoot.
Al says he can do it today.I've been focused on the Viking and deadlines and my thinking is in another universe.Hang on!

aerohead 12-30-2009 04:18 PM

fugly

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 149718)

Neil,the thing for me,is that it's 1979.This was a big deal.Dr.Morrelli used pure science to create the car.
The crushed-Omega design offers zero-lift,something Hermie appears to be obsessed with,and without the addition of the ubiquitous stabilizing dorsal fin of past times.
The car also had to respect many legal limitations for bumper height,pedestrian safety,headlight height,license plates,etc.
This car remains the benchmark for cooling system low drag.
The car was "producible" which cannot be said for many concepts and does not rely on active suspension for it's low numbers.
I consider many contemporary low drag concepts to be "rip-offs" of Dr.M's designs.

MetroMPG 12-30-2009 04:31 PM

The Morelli car is fantastic. The only sad thing about it from an ecomodder's perspective is it's practically impossible for a DIY aero enthusiast to use duct tape and cardboard on our existing cars and end up with anything remotely close to that shape!

aerohead 12-30-2009 05:36 PM

Photo Gallery-12 ( GM EV-1 under smoke )

1 Attachment(s)
I apologize for delay on this one,as at Cd 0.188 the EV-1 has generated a great deal of interest at the Aero Forum.
My interpretation of the photo,is that the car does suffer flow separation over the backlight and boot,as the smoke overides the structure and initiation of turbulence is evident with the swirling smoke trace.
In GM's defense,from previous articles it has been reported that GM has very stringent and rigid internal standards for outward visibility for the driver which may have precluded the use of a more gentle angle at the rear.
Aerodynamically,the tip off would be the metric of the car at Ft.Stockton,setting the LSR,where the "Yellow Ferret" aluminum boat tail cone is used with an included exit angle of 9-degrees,which when measured from tip to roofline,gives the back of the car a 15-degree angle,oddly,not as radical as the Mair' 22-degree aggressor.

Tygen1 12-31-2009 10:52 AM

Do you have any pictures of the EV1 boat tail?

I'd be satisfied with a scetch on a napkin :)

thatguitarguy 12-31-2009 11:18 AM

http://www.getmsm.com/ev/EV1/2003_0726_122045AA.JPG

You can break out a napkin and DIY...

Look kinda like an Insight...

aerohead 12-31-2009 11:56 AM

tail

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tygen1 (Post 150977)
Do you have any pictures of the EV1 boat tail?

I'd be satisfied with a scetch on a napkin :)

Tygen1,I've got two shots of the tail plus a video of its install and the record runs at Ft.Stockton.
The picture we need to look at I have made a digital image of,will enlarge,cut out,and place on a neutral gray background.
The photographer used some crazy "dramatic" effect with this shot and it makes it very difficult to "see" the car.
Christ has this photo and posted it at a different thread,but I don't remember where.Sorry.
I'll do this image but can't say when.
What I can tell you is that the tail's descending angle,measured from the horizon,is 9-degrees ( one degree less than what Dr. Kamm recommended ).The sides of the cone basically follow the angle established by the cars boattailed flanks ( an overhead view of a blue EV-1 is in the "IMAGES" somewhere )
When the tail is on the EV-1,the angle,measured from the end of the tail,up to top of the roof creates a 15-degree angle.
Hope that helps get you off dead center.

Tygen1 12-31-2009 03:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres' the only two imgages I could find...

aerohead 12-31-2009 04:01 PM

same-same

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tygen1 (Post 151054)
Heres' the only two imgages I could find...

Those are the two that I have.The side shot is close to a "true-length" image,as you would get with a blueprint of the car.
Any measurements and angles from it should reflect very closely what the car embodies.
With that,and the overhead view from the FLOW-IMAGES Gallery you should be able to do a pretty complete reconstruction.

thatguitarguy 12-31-2009 05:01 PM

http://thejaffes.org/rory/ev1/ev1side.jpg
http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-th...nsions-gra.gif
Maybe this helps.

Big Dave 12-31-2009 05:45 PM

I think Phil got it.

A good aero downsloped window (say 10-12 degrees below hoizontal) may hold flow but you just can't see out of them. That was thebig beef with "fastback" cars in the 1960s - people simply couldn't see out of them.

Until we get legal all-round CCTV, we may be at the aerodynamic wall for extreme vehicles.

aerohead 01-04-2010 05:25 PM

Cctv

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 151089)
I think Phil got it.

A good aero downsloped window (say 10-12 degrees below hoizontal) may hold flow but you just can't see out of them. That was thebig beef with "fastback" cars in the 1960s - people simply couldn't see out of them.

Until we get legal all-round CCTV, we may be at the aerodynamic wall for extreme vehicles.

With the aerospace community embracing all the fly-by-wire and electronic cockpits,etc.,hopefully it will be sooner than later.
Certainly,there's got to be a point where things are robust enough and failure-proof enough to allow the leap.
It's kind of a technology bottleneck.

aerohead 02-11-2012 04:13 PM

bean

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 149700)

Wow Neil,sorry! Today I'm just now catching your question.
The CNR 'banana' car started as a scale model in 1976.In ground proximity with a 'full' tail' the body scored Cd 0.16.
When they chopped the tail off to the length of the 1978 full-scale model,the Cd increased to only Cd 0.161.
In 1978,when they added wheels to the body,the Cd jumped to 0.35!
Morelli worked to fair the tire/wheel assembly,finally getting the Cd of the full-scale mockup back down to around 0.201,with cooling system,features drag,mirrors,wipers.
The arched,crushed-Omega,high rear,reflex-camber body is a strategy for high crosswind stability and is similar to a von Mises wing section.
In comparison to the 1980 VW 2000 concept,with production-ready Cd 0.25,the 'banana' has some advantages and I think this is why Aptera leaned towards it.
Sorry for the late response.