EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   FNG with a 2010 Ford Ranger 2WD with a 2.3L I4 engine (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fng-2010-ford-ranger-2wd-2-3l-i4-18777.html)

MPGranger 09-10-2011 04:19 PM

FNG with a 2010 Ford Ranger 2WD with a 2.3L I4 engine

I want to see if I can double the factory fuel economy. I started a facebook page, if you care the name for that is MPGranger, as well. Right now all I have done to the truck is a drop-in K&N air filter and a magnaflow muffler. Last fill up I was sitting at 27.2 MPG. My drive to work is 10 miles of 65mph highway and 6 miles of construction hell. I am going to have the oil changed soon and I plan to put in the lightest weight synthetic oil.

Big question, does anybody suggest using fuel additives to increase MPG? Do they actually clean your engine as they suggest? Are they cost effective?

Mustang Dave 09-10-2011 10:39 PM

Welcome aboard.
In my experience, K&N air filters pass too much dirt through the engine (I live on a dirt road), and make no difference in fuel economy.
And also in my experience, mufflers make no noticeable difference in fuel economy.
Same goes for fuel additives.
The things that make the biggest difference in fuel economy are adjustments to the commuting route, and adjustments to "the nut behind the steering wheel".

Frank Lee 09-10-2011 10:47 PM

I'd like to lose weight, grow hair, and double my income too, but without a plan it is even less likely to happen.

euromodder 09-11-2011 06:16 PM

Welcome to ecomodder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPGranger (Post 260389)
I want to see if I can double the factory fuel economy.

Starting with 22 city/27 highway MPG, it ain't going to be easy.
You won't get there by buying stuff to put in the tank.
It's going to be hard work.

To give you an idea, cleampg.com put some of the best hypermilers in an F150 Ecoboost and let them have a go with it.
They didn't double the factory fuel economy numbers - 17 city/23 highway MPG - though they did get 32.3 despite 2000 lbs of load (gear + pax).

It's possible though.
DieselDave did double the numbers for his Ram 2500.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ank-17880.html

Have a look at his posts to see how he's doing it.

Quote:

Right now all I have done to the truck is a drop-in K&N air filter and a magnaflow muffler.
They're unlikely to help much though.

Quote:

My drive to work is 10 miles of 65mph highway and 6 miles of construction hell.
If you do short trips, you could get an oil more tailored to that sort of use.

Get off the highway.
DieselDave :
Quote:

most of the time I'm at 45 mph or lower.
Quote:

I am going to have the oil changed soon and I plan to put in the lightest weight synthetic oil.
That works, especially for cold starts.
Get a "fuel efficiency" oil that meets the required specs for the Ranger.

Lighter transmission oil also helps a bit.

Quote:

Big question, does anybody suggest using fuel additives to increase MPG? Do they actually clean your engine as they suggest? Are they cost effective?
Good fuel is good as-is.
You can try the premium fuels and see if they work for your vehicle - but they're just going to push you a few % further (at a cost).

See the hypermiling tips and start practicing as many as possible :
100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

A couple eco-mods wouldn't go amiss either:
65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

Increased tyre pressure; an aero bed cover ; grille-block; air dam; belly pan seem like a good start.

I don't want to discourage you, but 50mpg already takes a bit of work on a passenger car ...

MPGranger 09-20-2011 07:13 PM

I've really seen an increase in distance per tank, I have 1/4 left and already broke my record of 400 miles.

On another note, has anyone heard of Top Tier Gasolines? They claim their additives are better than what the government makes them put in. The most notably brand was Chevron, which is always pricier than average gas. Does anyone know if there's anything to this?