EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   FNG from VT, USA (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fng-vt-usa-16465.html)

JethroBodine 03-15-2011 07:54 PM

FNG from VT, USA

Hey Everyone. Been lurking a while and got tired of not being able to see the pics here. I've been a mechanic for over 20 years, currently a Freightliner certified tech, worked on generators( military and civilian), trucks( military and civilian), tanks( military only:D), inboard and outbord marine engines, heavy equipment, drag cars, built fiberglass boats, and am starting a distilling business from the ground up in my spare time.

I drive 48 miles a day, too and from work, and currently have a '90 Jetta 1.8 8valve gas-job. Been trying my hand at some hypermiling stuff, mostly slowing down( definition of stress for an ex-drag racer;)) to 60 on the pedal- up hill, and EOnC down hill. LOTS of coasting oppertunities 'round here on the highway!

LOVE the boat tails I've seen here and look forward to reading and seeing more!!!

JeepNmpg2 03-15-2011 08:21 PM

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've already got a good start, maybe next add some sort of instrumentation like a scanguage to help you learn to drive the vehicle according to its "sweet spots". Look forward to seeing what you come up with especially if you go the boattail route.

Angmaar 03-15-2011 08:34 PM

Welcome to the forum!

JethroBodine 03-15-2011 09:07 PM

Scanguage

Thanks guys.

JeepNmpg2- I thought Scanguages were OBD2. My Jetta is a 90. Looking into a vaccuum guage and I've seen mention of a retro style SG for OBD1 that has to be assembled. NEVER have too many guages:).

I've got a lot of reading and learning to do, and hopefully, more MPGs to find:D:D!

JeepNmpg2 03-16-2011 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JethroBodine (Post 225676)
JeepNmpg2- I thought Scanguages were OBD2. My Jetta is a 90.

:rolleyes:

*Facepalm*

My bad, I read your post on my cell phone and for whatever reason thought your Jetta was a 00. You are correct about the Scangauge being OBDII only, but maybe a vacuum gauge would help your mileage.

Reminds me of the last time I rented a Uhaul truck they had this odd guage built into the dash (I'll assume that it was a vacuum gauge) that whenever you got on the gas the needle would move from the green zone to the red zone. Not all that helpful for in town being as it was severely underpowered to haul 8,000 lbs of stuff, but I suppose for a freeway trip that would help you not floor it the whole way.

JethroBodine 03-16-2011 06:39 AM

NP, man.

Looks like a Guino is in my future. Never thought about using a vaccuum guage for general engine condition, but this car runs vaccuum EVERYWHERE. I prefer the more modern approach of electronic controls, even though I started wrenching when vaccuum was used for timing advance and electronics were used for radios and lights.

MetroMPG 03-16-2011 02:41 PM

I was surprised to read your Jetta isn't a diesel, given your work background.

Welcome to the forum.

JethroBodine 03-17-2011 06:34 AM

Necessity and oppertunity dictated my current ride. My Cherokee was rusting apart( literally) faster than I could weld it back together. A coworker was looking to sell the Jetta. Poof! I would not have minded at ALL if it would have been diesel.

JMac 03-20-2011 03:54 AM

Welcome! Given your background, I'm excited to see what you'll do with that Jetta. :)

JMac
http://ecomodder.com/forum/fe-graphs/sig4777a.png

JasonG 03-20-2011 06:26 AM

Welcome,
Its good to see someone with the tools and knowhow to modify their vehicle join.
Coroplast doesn't last forever, but fiberglass does !

JethroBodine 03-22-2011 09:43 PM

Thanks Guys. I'm starting to get a picture of where I'm heading. I've been reading TONS of great threads and am thinking of starting with a few of the easier and most recommended mods of grill blocking( upper anyway), smooth belly pan, and injector kill switch( I just found out that the key off trick shuts off the headlights in the Jetta:eek:). When I do get to the big, nasty stuff, I'll be sure to take LOTS of pics.