EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Ford Fiesta MPG review Man vs Auto (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ford-fiesta-mpg-review-man-vs-auto-14225.html)

trikkonceptz 08-14-2010 03:32 PM

Ford Fiesta MPG review Man vs Auto

First, I work at a Ford store so I get to test drive just about anything ...

SO I figured I would take the Ford Fiesta out for a test spin to see where they stood MPG wise.

My subjects were to hatchback Fiesta's one stick one automatic. My testing conditions;

-From cold start, drive the inner city 5 mile test drive route to determine each vehicles mpg on the route.

Grant it, not ideal conditions, but equally bad for both ..lol

Here is what I got;

Manual - 19.9 mpg avg
Automatic - 29.9 mpg avg

I drove both the exact same way, being mindful of my coasts, distances etc ... What I find is that the manual is extemely lacking in torque forcing you to go deeper into the throttle to get any responce from what seems like an underpowered engine.

On the other hand, the automatic with its new transmission was the exact opposite. It felt like the vehicle had the Mustang 5.0 under the hood, often forcing me to reduce throttle to not accelerate much harder than intended. The shifting was super smooth and while you could still tell you were driving a small 4cyl, it was much more balanced than the manual experience.

If I had to choose based on those test drives, I would take the automatic hands down.

Hopefully ford advances this transmission a little more in future models as it is lacking in the out of throttle cruise realm. Not until 20mph do you feel the clutches completely disengage and allow for free wheeling. The exception of course being cruising in neutral ...

If you have any other questions, ask me I should be able to answer them or get you answers ...

EdKiefer 08-14-2010 08:00 PM

Thats mainly because your comparing 5MT to a 6AT tranny .

I would like to see these new DC 6speed in higher models, including mustang .

RobertSmalls 08-14-2010 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So that's the Trikkonceptz drive cycle. On the EPA drive cycles:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1281835818

That's the Fiesta SFE, then the stick, then the auto. This is a 6-speed automated manual transmission, something that I hope we see more of. On the EPA cycle the auto beats the stick by a small margin, and it probably has a better top gear for lower RPM interstate cruising. However, a hypermiler can do more engine-off work with a stick.

Trik, it sounds like you need to adjust your shift points and throttle positions a bit. I'll bet if you commuted for a week in each, you'd be able to get about the same mileage in each.

Weather Spotter 08-14-2010 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=Trik, it sounds like you need to adjust your shift points and throttle positions a bit. I'll bet if you commuted for a week in each, you'd be able to get about the same mileage in each.[/QUOTE]

Is sounds like they made an auto trans for the normal people, if trying hard on the manual will only equal the auto why bother? (I do like driving a stick better)

RobertSmalls 08-14-2010 10:48 PM

The stick is less expensive to purchase and to keep running, should exceed the FE of the auto if you do engine-off, weighs less, and is more engaging to drive.

EdKiefer 08-15-2010 09:49 AM

I would take the 6 speed DC AT anyday if compared to 5MT .
Better response , easier to keep rpm in sweet spot and it still auto .
They happened to have new Fiesta on Motorweek yesterday, I forget which version (think it was stick ) but they said it was slow and problem going up mountainous type roads . They should of at least had sport version with slightly more HP/TQ but then again they market this a MPG car . you can always go up to focus or higher for more performance .

bestclimb 08-15-2010 01:09 PM

how come the sfe has 2 more on highway than the base auto but the combined is the same?

miles per tank the auto beats the manual by 10 miles. I often (like every tank) coast over a quarter of my 500 mile tanks. I would be hard pressed to give up 125 engine off coast miles to pick up 10 miles engine on.

euromodder 08-15-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestclimb (Post 188985)
miles per tank the auto beats the manual by 10 miles. I often (like every tank) coast over a quarter of my 500 mile tanks. I would be hard pressed to give up 125 engine off coast miles to pick up 10 miles engine on.

If it's an automated manual transmision , you an easily shift it into neutral and coast happily.

bestclimb 08-15-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 188987)
If it's an automated manual transmision , you an easily shift it into neutral and coast happily.

does it bump start automagicly too?

euromodder 08-15-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestclimb (Post 188989)
does it bump start automagicly too?

Dunno, haven't tried that when I drove a friend's automated manual.

Maybe Trikkonceptz can try it on one of the Fiesta's.

BTW the Fiesta Econetic (diesel) version, is rated for 3.7 L/100km or 63.6 mpg US in the Euro cycle !