EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Ford to lower mpg ratings on 6 vehicles, compensate 200,000 owners (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ford-lower-mpg-ratings-6-vehicles-compensate-200-a-29219.html)

Daox 06-12-2014 09:07 PM

Ford to lower mpg ratings on 6 vehicles, compensate 200,000 owners

Doh... and 7 mpg drop on the MKZ hybrid!!! woah. :eek:

Ford to lower mpg ratings on 6 vehicles, compensate 200,000 owners | The Detroit News

Quote:

Ford Motor Co. is lowering the fuel economy ratings on six new cars, including the combined city/highway rating on the Lincoln MKZ hybrid by 7 miles per gallon.

It will make payments of $125 to $1,050 to more than to more than 200,000 owners as compensation for the extra money drivers will spend because of lower-than-expected fuel efficiency. Payments will vary depending on the vehicle, and if it was leased or purchased. If claims average $500, Ford would spend $107.5 million reimbursing owners. The automaker wouldn’t disclose its estimated costs.

mort 06-12-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Nair said the problem started in 2012 when Ford revised how it calculates fuel economy. He said the company erred in calculating aerodynamics in the wind tunnel.
-mort

Cobb 06-12-2014 09:44 PM

A long time ago a UPS driver parked in front of a no parking zone in the city when I use to attended VCU. I asked the driver if he knew it was a ticket-able offense. His answer was golding, he said the ticket was just the price of doing business, if he even got one at all. :eek:

2000mc 06-12-2014 10:11 PM

Between http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...est-29102.html and ford not even being able to keep track of its own numbers, are manufacturers drag numbers worth anything?

UltArc 06-12-2014 10:41 PM

Damn, no Mustang :/

I don't understand why each vehicle doesn't have to go to the EPA and do an actual performance test.

niky 06-12-2014 11:34 PM

$$$. EPA doesn't have the budget or manpower to do everything itself. All it can do is random audits of the results.

And even the manufacturers don't do everything themselves. The C-Max issue arose earlier because they were allowed to apply EPA figures for the drivetrain between platforms (if I recall right).

UltArc 06-12-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niky (Post 429483)
$$$. EPA doesn't have the budget or manpower to do everything itself. All it can do is random audits of the results.

And even the manufacturers don't do everything themselves. The C-Max issue arose earlier because they were allowed to apply EPA figures for the drivetrain between platforms (if I recall right).

What?! The EPA could easily charge the companies to do it. New model? Decent changes? YOU MUST RETEST.

Before I knew the slightest hair about FE (old EPA estimates?) I thought this was the way it was done.

Xist 06-13-2014 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 429485)
What?! The EPA could easily charge the companies to do it. New model? Decent changes? YOU MUST RETEST.

Before I knew the slightest hair about FE (old EPA estimates?) I thought this was the way it was done.

So, the EPA does not have the same standards as Internet trolls?

Quote:

Cool story, bro. Pics or it never happened!

Frank Lee 06-13-2014 03:26 AM

$107,500,000- now there's some incentive to do it right.

Hersbird 06-14-2014 12:49 PM

Error in calculating aerodynamics? Here's an idea, build a car, fill it with gas, dive it over a programmed course, and see how much gas it used.
On a side note I'd love to see a published steady state 65mph economy number for every car. So of a realistic level open highway economy. That would show both aerodynamics and overall drivetrain efficiency.
On another side note, I work for the postal service and because a parking ticket is a form local tax we get to park wherever we want without tickets because states can't tax federal property!