EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Ford mileage correction for new cluster (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ford-mileage-correction-new-cluster-37863.html)

Nedlom 09-27-2019 04:04 PM

Ford mileage correction for new cluster

Hi guys,

Fitted new instrument cluster to my ford (UK/EU fiesta 2006) managed to reprogram the immobiliser and match the cluster to the car using forscan, but the (digital) milage is incorrect.

Anyone know a cheap (or free) way to fix this?

The new odometer reading is about 30k lower than it should be.

I can get it reprogrammed for about £50, but not going to spend that just to sooth my OCD.

I'm thinking copying the eprom data from the old cluster and writing it to the new one might be an option, but no idea how to do that?

Supposedly the icu and other modules hold a running total of the milage anyway to prevent "clocking" so can't be too hard to get that to show on the dash surely?

Tried resetting the modules, but nothing changed.

You guys are the brains here, any such software (freeware?) that you know of?

Nedlom

Shaneajanderson 09-27-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedlom (Post 607771)
Hi guys,

Fitted new instrument cluster to my ford (UK/EU fiesta 2006) managed to reprogram the immobiliser and match the cluster to the car using forscan, but the (digital) milage is incorrect.

Anyone know a cheap (or free) way to fix this?

The new odometer reading is about 30k lower than it should be.

I can get it reprogrammed for about £50, but not going to spend that just to sooth my OCD.

I'm thinking copying the eprom data from the old cluster and writing it to the new one might be an option, but no idea how to do that?

Supposedly the icu and other modules hold a running total of the milage anyway to prevent "clocking" so can't be too hard to get that to show on the dash surely?

Tried resetting the modules, but nothing changed.

You guys are the brains here, any such software (freeware?) that you know of?

Nedlom

I replaced a cluster in a 91 Dodge Dakota (US model pickup), and what I did was write the miles (or KM probably for you) of the old cluster, and the new cluster at the time of replacement in the front cover of the owner's manual. Generally in an old rig like that I wouldn't have even bothered, but the new cluster actually had substantially more miles than the old one. For you, in a newer car you're probably going to want some sort of record for the sake of resale value though, so even if it's a note in the owner's manual it would be worth doing.

2016 Versa 09-28-2019 12:26 PM

Not sure how the laws are in your area but in the US changing the odometer reading is a federal offense even if you're just correcting a replacement to match the original. The penalty for odometer tampering in the US is $10,000. per incident. I once had to replace an odometer on a pickup I had. It was still under warranty when it was replaced so everything was documented by the dealer and I also made notes of the change but the new odometer had a 000000.0 reading when it was installed. If you do find a way to make the change and the laws are similar to the US I suggest not making it public.

Shaneajanderson 09-28-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2016 Versa (Post 607812)
Not sure how the laws are in your area but in the US changing the odometer reading is a federal offense even if you're just correcting a replacement to match the original. The penalty for odometer tampering in the US is $10,000. per incident. I once had to replace an odometer on a pickup I had. It was still under warranty when it was replaced so everything was documented by the dealer and I also made notes of the change but the new odometer had a 000000.0 reading when it was installed. If you do find a way to make the change and the laws are similar to the US I suggest not making it public.

Hence why I took the approach I detailed above

atikovi 10-01-2019 09:36 PM

You could input a signal to the speed sensor at say 120 mph and let the mileage accumulate, but you would have to leave the ignition on non-stop for 10 days straight. Suppose you could remove the cluster and do it on the bench as well.

atikovi 10-01-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2016 Versa (Post 607812)

Odometer rollback is a federal offense. There is no regulation I know of that prohibits you from setting the mileage of the replacement cluster to that of the original one. If a new odometer is installed with 0.0 showing, a sticker must be installed in the door jamb showing the before and after mileage along with the date. This is really for mechanical odometers which disappeared some 20 years ago. With most modern cars, the odometer memory is stored in the BCM so a new or used cluster automatically reads the original mileage, but not on Fords until a bit later.

Nedlom 10-05-2019 03:12 PM

Sorry guys, been snowed under in work...

Quote:

Not sure how the laws are in your area
No real issue with the law here in the UK, only a problem if your trying to con someone into buying it based on false low milage. Hence the reason we have legitimate (and some not so legitimate*) "milage correction" companies. The legally required yearly MOT test records the milage anyway so would show the change anyway.

Quote:

You could input a signal to the speed sensor
Yes! This was the thought I needed - I'd already thought "keep it simple stupid" and spinning the wheel with a drill or something. Couldn't find a practical way of doing this for the milage I needed though. Square wave generator chip off ebay... Hmm worth a try at £2.55. Plus I've got the old broken clocks to mess with on the bench.

*funny story - years ago I used to work with a guy (thick as bricks) who was selling a high milage, but otherwise spot on BMW. Thought £50 spent "correcting" 😉 the milage would be a good idea. Worked well until he proudly pulled out the "full dealer service history" which showed it had already had the next 50k worth of servicing done. Plus the proposed buyer was a local thug who didn't take too kindly to our man trying to con him.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...